• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are there any plans to make gunfire sound remotely realistic?

Last time I played RO2 there were snap sounds for close flying bullets. Kinda hard to miss when you get suppressed into the floor.

And another fun fact: Bullets do make a whizzing sound if they're going slow enough or have ricocheted off something. It's more of a low buzz sound though, not an airy "woosh."

If there's supersonic cracks in this game, they're nowhere near loud enough, why? Because I never noticed, and if there's one thing you notice in a gunfight, it's supersonic cracks.

Upvote 0
The mechanics :

The player that makes the shot hear the firing gun noise first than the bullet impact.

The players that is recieving the hit (the target) depending the distance will hear the bullet impact first than the firing gun noise.

If the target is to close to the shooter both will hear the firing gun and impact noise simoutaneoulsy. Off course because they are close enough together in the same spot.

That is what the fear of getting shot should be.

When we create this separated happening: Noise of bullets cracking around.
No mattering anymore the shooter. Or putting him in a secondary level.
The bullet impacts will be heard as a tracking device to figure out who is beeing targeted and where is it coming from (the shooter position). As you hear the impacts coming near to you. Closer and closer. Then you know have been spotted or someone close to you. We should hear the reverberation from it around the enviorment. Coming to our ears.
(with the envelope, delay, -db, and the other carachteristics of a noise)

What we have in the game today is: you start hearing bullet cracks when you are the target. or when this impacts are very close to you. Like in DOD untill today! or its so attenuated that we cant hear it going on around us.
We need a separated noise. A third happening: bullets hitting somewhere.
1-shooter
2-target
3-bullets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I feel like I can never hear explosions from my own grenades - I toss them, take cover, wait to hear the bang, and it never happens. Does anyone else experience this? The only time I actually hear grenades is when they kill me.

Hearing helmet pings from your victims at infinite distance is definitely unsettling in the realistic context of RO2. It makes me feel like I've just inadvertently downed a T-888 that overshot John Connor's time period by about 50 years. I play Unreal Tournament 3 all the time, and enjoy that sound mechanic in that game (it's a hell of a lot better than Q3A's hit beeps) but it's just not appropriate for RO.

Supersonic cracks would certainly be better than the hollywood woosh, but it'd be nice if they were recorded/produced to sound slightly deeper less tinny than in Arma 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry but the Arma school of thought as to what a game should be does not apply to this game,Its a game a MP FPS Action game that is hardcore and does a good job at reflection that conflict , and requires some team work and communication its not a simulation ,I for one want to be entertained when i play a game ( thanks Hollywood)

As for what grenades should sound like from that period of time . i could not comment as i was never in world war two with perforated ear drums and shell shock and frostbite ,:p

I hope you're happy Ramm Jaeger. This is the kind of player you were after when you put scoped MKBs on the cover of the game and put in an unnecessary and poorly implemented unlock system. in the process decimating one of the few non-simulation fanbases of an FPS that actually cared about stuff like what guns/grenades are actually supposed to sounds like.

Did you ever think you'd end up making a game that would get positively compared to Hollywood movies? There are plenty of WW2 FPSs going for the Hollywood movie market. RO2 does not need to be one of them. It speaks volumes about the decisions made with RO2 that it could have attracted someone like that.

What the commenter who replied to you Specta3 was talking about with grenades is the fact a grenade exploding 10ft away from you is quieter than a shot from a pistol. A grenade going off in the next room is about as loud as footsteps in your own room.

I don't know how anyone could think this is good or positive. How is grenades being ridiculously quiet more "entertaining" than them being in realistic proportion to other sounds. They should AT LEAST be as loud as gunfire, if not considerably louder.

- Gunshots by player (100%)
- Gunshots by nearby player *aka same room/trench (97%)
- Gunshots by distant players tapering off as distance increases ( 95% at 20m , 90% at 65m , 80% at a range of say 100 - 150m)
- Explosions On top of the player (120% should overpower all sound in the game and "deafen" the player)
- Explosions just out of damage range *say a grenade exploding on the otherside of a doorway , or above your trench (100%)
- semi distant explosions like artillery (90%) Should be very loud and drown out most other noise like voices and distant gunfire
- Running (35%)
- player panting while running (50%)
- Footsteps outdoors *other players* (20%)
- Footsteps indoors *other players* (35%)
- Breathing while aiming (20%)
- Player voices outdoors depending on conversation type *talking , crying , charging* (20% 35% 40%)
- Player voices indoors boosted all three by 10%

I have no idea how this could not have occured to TWI during the development of the game. These percentages probably aren't exactly right but they're a lot closer to what would be realistic and good for the game. Is everyone in TWI deaf or something? When they were setting the relative volumes for sounds in game TT, who thought "Yeah, make sure grenades going off a couple of meters away sound like someone popping a small balloon"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope you're happy Ramm Jaeger. This is the kind of player you were after when you put scoped MKBs on the cover of the game and put in an unnecessary and poorly implemented unlock system. in the process decimating one of the few non-simulation fanbases of an FPS that actually cared about stuff like what guns/grenades are actually supposed to sounds like.

Did you ever think you'd end up making a game that would get positively compared to Hollywood movies? Was that ever the game plan?

What the commenter who replied to you Specta3 was talking about with grenades is the fact a grenade exploding 10ft away from you is quieter than a shot from a pistol. A grenade going off in the next room is about as loud as footsteps in your own room.

I don't know how anyone could think this is good or positive. How is grenades being ridiculously quiet more "entertaining" than them being in realistic proportion to other sounds. They should AT LEAST be as loud as gunfire, if not considerably louder.

Oooo...that one tasted bitter. It's all in the past man (well certainly that post you quoted was). No doubt the grenade sounds need to be louder, but no reason to bring those kind of comments in just because he's okay with it.

Upvote 0
I feel like I can never hear explosions from my own grenades - I toss them, take cover, wait to hear the bang, and it never happens. Does anyone else experience this?
Yep, ancient bug. Probably a relevancy issue. It's not a matter of the explosion sound being quiet, it's a matter of the grenade and its explosion not even existing on your client. In spectator cam, you can occasionally see someone just randomly fall into dismembered limbs from a phantom explosion.
I play Unreal Tournament 3 all the time, and enjoy that sound mechanic in that game (it's a hell of a lot better than Q3A's hit beeps) but it's just not appropriate for RO.
It being in UT is, in fact, the entire reason why it's in RO2. It got caught in the mighty cut & paste of UT/Gears code that they built RO2 around, and they either never realized it, or forgot to change it later.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than being a deliberate change...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oooo...that one tasted bitter. It's all in the past man (well certainly that post you quoted was). No doubt the grenade sounds need to be louder, but no reason to bring those kind of comments in just because he's okay with it.

I'm sorry. I had gotten over it, but the idea of someone holding up hollywood movies as the model for what an RO game should be like was so galling I momentarily released the hounds.

Upvote 0
I absolutely loath the RO2 sounds, and have made many threads calling for an overhaul, but to no avail.

The sound in a game like this is actually a very important game mechanic, as it gives bullets punch, and increases the fear factor. In DH, when you got shot at, you stayed the hell down. In RO2, sometimes you don't even realize a bullet has landed less than a meter away from your face!

Upvote 0
I'm sorry. I had gotten over it, but the idea of someone holding up hollywood movies as the model for what an RO game should be like was so galling I momentarily released the hounds.

Another deluded elitist forum warrior at work i see , If i don't like the sound of a game i generally DON'T play it i don't go cry on the forums asking them to change the game years after its release.

All i see is self deluded kid ranting and not one of you has any knowledge are experience are qualifications in sound engineering and game development.Watched a few you tube videos and suddenly you know it all were in fact you know nothing about sound in game.

And learn to read as no one made a comparison to hollywood.The comparrison was with entertainment.

Go and polish your luger :)

Upvote 0
Another deluded elitist forum warrior at work i see , If i don't like the sound of a game i generally DON'T play it i don't go cry on the forums asking them to change the game years after its release.

All i see is self deluded kid ranting and not one of you has any knowledge are experience are qualifications in sound engineering and game development.Watched a few you tube videos and suddenly you know it all were in fact you know nothing about sound in game.

And learn to read as no one made a comparison to hollywood.The comparrison was with entertainment.

Go and polish your luger :)

If you thought HE was elitist, wait till you see some of the more colourful characters around here.

Upvote 0

Yeah, asking developers to change things about the game you don't like is totally ridiculous. It's not like TWI on multiple occasions has asked the forum what they would like to change about the game. It's not like there a section of the forum specifically dedicated to suggestions from players in how to change the game...

Maybe you shouldn't be crying about people making suggestions for changes on game forums where such thing is commonplace.

I'm pretty sure you don't need qualifications in sound engineering to know that grenades in real life are louder than pistols. Or that if artillery is landing 10 meters away from you it would be too loud to hear your breathing or footsteps.

Really?

You said:

"I for one want to be entertained when i play a game (thanks Hollywood)"

And the conversation was specifically about the sound in RO2 being too Hollywood-ish (bullet wizzes instead of cracks). It's pretty obvious you were saying that Hollywood style gun sounds are entertaining so it doesn't matter if they're not realistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If anybody knows how to mess around with sounds in the SDK here's a concrete example of what we're looking for.

Take the bullet cracks from JSRS and replace the current snaps with them, make them loud (If the player firing his weapon were 100% loudness the cracks should be 90% for a bullet going right next to the player) and make them happen for 100% of the bullets OR 100% of supersonic bullets (if the engine allows for it). Then take whizzes or zips from JSRS subsonic cracks and put them in too (quieter of course).

I'd love to see how this turns out, how the engine would handle it. I could take a recording of being suppressed in Arma with JSRS 1.5 if you want to hear how it currently sounds.

Upvote 0
If anybody knows how to mess around with sounds in the SDK here's a concrete example of what we're looking for.

Take the bullet cracks from JSRS and replace the current snaps with them, make them loud (If the player firing his weapon were 100% loudness the cracks should be 90% for a bullet going right next to the player) and make them happen for 100% of the bullets OR 100% of supersonic bullets (if the engine allows for it). Then take whizzes or zips from JSRS subsonic cracks and put them in too (quieter of course).

I'd love to see how this turns out, how the engine would handle it. I could take a recording of being suppressed in Arma with JSRS 1.5 if you want to hear how it currently sounds.

Well actually, the bullet snaps in RO2 are pretty good on the physical sound of things, it's just that they're quiet and mixed in with the also quiet whizes and wooshes.

Upvote 0
Not trying be pedantic here, but looks like most of the issues people have with the sounds are due to unbalanced volume levels and not the quality of the sounds themselves. Sounds like something (correct me if im wrong here as I don't know much about UE3 modding) that could be fairly easily changed with a mutator of some sort, just tweaking the sound levels until they sound right.

In fact, I remember seeing a video show how TWI made the sounds for the game, which consisted of shooting and recording the actual weapons we see in game.

Upvote 0