• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

arad is...

Recce said:
Orel is a Beta map. Probably released because the guy was disappearing off to China for a bit. Let's be constructive until it's finished. THEN we can be negative.

Arad is a knife-fight, using tanks. I doubt you'll ever take an enemy under fire at more than 400m. The only real tactic on this map is speed. And the Russians have it and the Germans don't.

nicely said man. just about perfect. :)

Upvote 0
Theodrake said:
This is it exacly. The new Arad is horrible. If the Russians want they can easily take the Southfield, ignore the south village, and just camp on the germans. They can get on the germans far left and have a direct shot into the 2nd armor spawn. The T34s and PTRDs can take out the germans transport and ground pounders with ease.

It's not like Old Arad was any better, either. It's the tank system in RO that makes RO such a tank shank fight. The Russians got the speed (not to mention the camouflage with the forest backdrop) while the Germans got the slow and blundering tanks (with the camouflage that stands out screaming "shoot me!"). Orel actually makes it balanced with the Russian tanks' speed versus the German tanks' firepower. Arad's just a shooting gallery, again, and none of this matters in such a close-combat map. It's whoever get's the position and the firing solution first, and more than likely, it'll be the Russians.

Upvote 0
I personally find Tigers to be a deathtrap on Arad. I won't go near 'em. The turret turns too slowly and the gun reloads slowly too. The great big tough 88mm and heavy frontal armor only gets you so far and usually a T34-85 that's well positioned can take you out.

Germans don't really get to employ any of their tanks' advantages on that map with the possible exception of the Pz IV F2's faster loading time.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
Orel. I dont know why its so popular when Perekop, a map twice as good, was so fervently rejected.

Orel. 90 minutes of tank sniping. I've played it once, and that was enough. I spent 40 minutes on foot inside a building, slowly capping... I'll never play that map again.

Very strange tactics.

But if you have remained without the tank, then with you three variants.

1. To conduct fight as the infantryman. But for this purpose the enemy is necessary.:D
2. The hitcher. People to be afraid to put in the tank of the idiot. But if you often play on a server and happen above the list, for you one will arrive not, and there can be three tanks. Only tell where you.
3. Harakiri. And you again on resp .

On this map a microphone this main weapon.

PLZ it is not necessary to change anything on the Opel .

Upvote 0
There is a version of Orel out that locks certain objectives if others are not taken. I'm not sure what they are because I played it only once but I think you cannot cap East Field or North Bridge without first having caped one or both heights. For Germans you cannot cap South Lake nor West Field without first having caped one or both of the heights. I'm not sure if Ruins are locked or not. I think they are tho.

That's a far better map because it helps guide the battle to certain locations without having to ask/tell people to do it. As things are right now people just go wherever they please to cap whatever they want.

You won't have to worry about that infantry lurking in the field to cap West or East field when your team controls the heights and therefore the fields and towns are locked.

I don't know why that map isn't played more. I only ever seen it once.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
spoken like a true ground pounder. tankers know the difference.

cant disagree with that tbh, i am a proud ground pounder, but I have been getting into tank combat more recently, and I still prefer the default RO maps, no custom has come close in quality yet except perhaps Lazur. (some other great customs, but just need more time on spit and polish).

My fave map is probably hedgehog at the mo, and I love Ogledows tank combat, I know plenty of people disagree with me, but I dont much like Orel mainly because of its size (which is I respect why many people like it).

Anyhoo in Burning Sands to please the tankers, we do aim to have some Orel sized tank maps.

Upvote 0
If anything I'd say Orel's an experiment to see how tolerable such a large-scale map would be. 2/3 the size of the current map might be a good idea, but I don't want a map as cramped as Arad. Orel's truly enjoyable with team tanking and a good, mature team that knows what they're doing. If you join an Orel server with a bunch of whiny kids who think the team revolves around them, you'd better leave immediately, I can tell you that going Rambo in Orel is not fun.

Upvote 0
If Orel is the gold standard for tank maps, then the standards need to be raised.

It's great to have a HUGE map for tanks, but why do the objectives need to be so spread out, and why do the spawns have to be so far away? There's a lot of fat that could be cut out in that map to make it more exciting. To me it just looks like the author just completely ignored the limits of RO and said, "I'm going to make the biggest stinkin' map ever and damn the consequences!"

Upvote 0
I re-tried Orel the other day... both of them, and I still disliked it as much as the last time I played it. Who wants to drive for 90% of the map... retarded.

It is a game, not RL... it is supposed to be fun. The only person I have convinced to buy RO played that map first and had a bad impression right off the bat. The old Arad was way better IMO. At least infantry was useable.

If Homie is back from China, please make Orel 1/2 the size it is now. :)

Heinz, I think Ogledow is WAY better than Orel... it is not even close.

Upvote 0
With lots of room on Orel, you can admit that it leaves lots of rooms for well-executed tank formations and the such. Even though it is hard to organize a pub to do such things, I have witnessed a few times of all the times I have played Orel that a pub could be motivated to stick together and form a cohesive battle group to blitz the objectives. True, there is some fat to be cut out, but not half the damn map! I'd say shrinking Orel to about 2/3rds or 5/7ths of it's current size would be fine, or to shift the spawn points a bit closer to the objectives than it currently is.

To those who bash the author of the map, please keep in mind that Orel is a beta, I'm sure he'll get the feedback recieved during his absence and he'll do what he feels is best for his own creation.

If you still feel that it's to damning to play in Orel, than don't. It's meant for the hardcore Red Orchestra tank users, and damn the excuse "it's a game, not a tank sim", I still find Orel fun.

Upvote 0
I suspect many of you are a bit dissapointed because you finally drive out into the field only to end up quite dead. Orel is an interesting map because it requires some patience. I know, not the prime quality of gamers today. In Orel, you want to stay alive. I have somehow managed to play a several dozen games on that map where I got myself killed maybe 1 or twice in a given round (while still inflicting losses on the opponent).

Upvote 0
Survival on a Orel map .

1. A microphone. Remember that people with good diction in RO do not play, people which know English every day all less. But without a microphone to not survive.

2. Start from resp . Try to not leave alone. At start in the beginning of a round try to move with the organized group. Not the fact that you is necessary to them, there can be they plan an ambush and you ihim only prevent , therefore keep behind and approach when shooting will begin.

3. Tactics. Two basic variants: a. Firing from a long distance
b. Movement by dashes from shelter to shelter, shooting from an ambush from a short distance.

4. Think what for to you have given the field-glass?

Last edited:
Upvote 0