• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone else unsatisfied with the ironsights?

1280x1024, i can hit a sprinting target at about 150-200m(with the size scale that RO has its pretty hard to compensate for lag, bullet drop and aiming ahead at that range) ingame. i find the mosin sights pretty ****in' spot on, at the range with my m38, i improved my shots after playing with RO's rifles and the 'realistic' bullet drop that they have. About some sights being to small, I find most of guns to have nice sights, some different types but all good. Aim small, miss small.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=GG= Mr Moe said:
I haven't encountered any problems, and I am running 1280 x 960 which is a standard 1.33 to 1 ratio for my monitor. Other standard 1.33 to 1 ratios include 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1152 x 864, and 1600 x 1200.

If I run 1280 x 1024 (which is 1.25 to 1 ratio), everything looks scrunched down shorter. Circles become slightly egg shaped. If I were to adjust my screen to compensate for the flatter resolution, I end up with lots of wasted black space.

So, maybe try a different resolution instead of your 1280 x 1024 setting? :confused:

Its a flat-screen resolution, they wont look good on a CRT, but on a TFT they look normal, aspect ratio and all.

Theodrake: Actually, after watching a screenshot in another thread in suggestions, where he had put a scale actor at exactly 500 meters from the camera, that actually looks to be the range, so its clouse to 450-500m than the around 800 i thought.. ranges have allways been tricky in UT engine games.

And thats Rakowice, theres a few places on that map you can get some very large distances between you and the enemy, especially if you go sightseeing trying to find a good place to flank from.

Upvote 0
trench said:
might bloom be causing the sites to look worse?

RO only became visually acceptable when i cranked up the AA and AF and running at high resoltion - this with bloom , or whatever its called, on.

I thought i understand that you should turn off bloom if you cant run AA/AF and hi-res. True?

As far as I know it's bloom off always if you want better visual. Haven't tried with high res and lots of AA and AF though, so might be wrong ;)

Upvote 0
TheCorinthian said:
at 1280x1024 resolution, the front sight is simply too small on most guns. While I appreciate the realism in this game, sometimes things don't translate well from real life to a monitor screen, and perhaps the ironsights could use a little review. Anyone else think this is an issue?

For as long as I played MOD and Retail, I've had same complaint. People say it is realistic, I disagree. Comparing with what I see iRL

Upvote 0
hmm, 50/50 for me...

sometimes with the svt I can sit and pick off 12-15 guys in a row from a good distance. other times I cant hit anything with the svt it seems, alot of it for me depends on what i am aiming AGAINST for a backdrop... the front sightpost can easily get lost in the background and make it impossible to aim accurately.

right now i play 1280x1024 - 32bit - 0AA - 0AF and everything in game is on Highest or whatever.

I tried with 2-4AA and AF but found it looked exactly the same, with -10fps ingame lol... so no dice there.

I will try with bloom off tonight, but if I remember correctly that just makes the game really ugly looking.

Cheers

Upvote 0
My problem with the sights is that I find them to actually obscure a bit more. I seem to recall the Mosin Nagant from the mod being a bit less of a screen blocker. Part of the problem might also be the fact that your eye actually does something different from what the screen does, I believe.

In the game, the screen shows a perfect resolution front post AND a perfect resolution target, and I think a perfect resolution rear sight. So pretty much everything is sharp. In real life, as I recall (and admittedly, I haven't done a ton of shooting), what ends up happening is your eye focuses on the TARGET and the sights become a little blurred (and actually a wee bit thinner/smaller). Thus, they obscure your vision less.

I don't know if there's a way to do this in the game engine, though.

Upvote 0
Not all guns are created equal. :)

The Mosin is an extremely easy to sight rifle with some practice. The K98 has a very low profile, unless the sight hood is on (which apparently most people found annoying, since it usually fell off/got screwed up anyway).

I've never fired or even held a PPSh or an MP40, but from what I've seen they look pretty spot on.

Upvote 0