• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Antilag mutator - a call for testing

mother-god-meme.jpg

Reactions: Scrappa and GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
I seriously hope those 9mm fragments making it through brick walls(!) or bouncing off cement floors won't be lethal.
Brick, nothin, the walls of the NCO Barracks there are tagged as plaster. They don't stop diddly squat. A rifle round can go in one side of the building and come out the opposite. But yes, the bullets lose power relative to how much they deflect.

Upvote 0
I seriously hope those 9mm fragments making it through brick walls(!) or bouncing off cement floors won't be lethal.
bullets bouncing off cement floors are most assuredly LETHAL. my uncle kiled a bank robber, by trying to shoot him in the leg, as he was running away. his .38 bounced off the sidewalk and stuck the robber in the back. dead robber. no big surprise there.

p.s. just so you know, the ppsh shoots 7.62x25mm ammo. and it most likely would not fragment going through a plaster wall or bouncing off cement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what happens if two people kill each other at the same time?
In the test version that servers are running, the second guy's bullets essentially fizzle in midair the moment he dies. I hadn't put the system for doublekills in yet.
Or if two people kill the same guy at the same time?
Same as in the stock game: whoever's bullet gets processed first gets the kill credit.

Upvote 0

Mekh already addressed some of the refraction already, but I'd like to add a few more details. The mutator does not change what materials the bullets can penetrate at all (Although it does now check both sides of a wall, so one that's plaster on one side and brick on the other is penetrated as brick to avoid the one-way walls). This means that if it penetrates in the mutator, it could penetrate in the vanilla game. It does add on a few things on top of this:

It adds the refraction on penetration, based off the angle the shot strikes. The simple version is that a head-on shot will deviate little, while one striking at a steeper angle will deviate more.

It adds ricochets, with the chance increased for harder surfaces and lower angles. Low angle on concrete or metal gets moderately likely, dirt gets rather unlikely.

It makes penetration (As well as the added ricochets and deflections) cost the bullet power. Not only is a ricocheted bullet going to lose speed and lethality, now bullets penetrating objects does so, too. In the base game, a bullet did not lose damage when penetrating surfaces, but with this advanced ballistics, they will.

And a touch of real-world comparison: Ricochets are a big deal. Current urban tactics teach to be wary of being too close to walls, as they can easily turn what would have been a miss into a ricochet-and-hit. Fighting across tarmac (Or other hard, open areas) was mentioned as particularly dangerous in WW2, as many misses could turn into lethal ricochets.

In any case, it's not going to be a very preferable tactic (Kind of silly to make the shot harder on yourself while also making your bullets less lethal), but it's going to make some areas that should be more dangerous be more dangerous. It'll make a true difference between crossing a level field and crossing a paved courtyard, or between shooting down the wood-and-plaster hall of a home or the reinforced concrete hallway of a bunker. And it's probably going to make MGs even more scary than they already are in Antilag (I can't wait to see the tracers done up to watch the ricochets going out).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dionysos
Upvote 0
bullets bouncing off cement floors are most assuredly LETHAL. my uncle kiled a bank robber, by trying to shoot him in the leg, as he was running away. his .38 bounced off the sidewalk and stuck the robber in the back. dead robber. no big surprise there.

p.s. just so you know, the ppsh shoots 7.62x25mm ammo. and it most likely would not fragment going through a plaster wall or bouncing off cement.

Sure, they have the potential to be lethal, but not all would be. That's the point.

And I wouldn't put so much faith in the ability for 7.62x25 to stay in one piece when it collides with various dense objects. I know it's famous for being a good penetrator but anything shatters on dense targets at a steep enough angle.

Upvote 0
Sure, they have the potential to be lethal, but not all would be. That's the point.

And I wouldn't put so much faith in the ability for 7.62x25 to stay in one piece when it collides with various dense objects. I know it's famous for being a good penetrator but anything shatters on dense targets at a steep enough angle.

How often will it shatter on impact with concrete? A bullet that is famous for having high penetration doesn't sound like it would shatter that often (but I'm no expert so that's just an educated guess at best). If it's extremely low probability occurrence (IF, because I don't know), then is it really worth trying to recreate it?

Upvote 0
Looks good. Glad to hear the ricochets are a probability-based event, I'd rather not see every round bouncing regardless of angle or surface - some will surely always break up or dig in.

One suggestion: the ricochet angle looks a bit predictable from the video. Is it possible to add a fairly large random deflection to the ricochet, similar to what you've done with the refraction?

From 0:55 onwards:
Canadian Forces C6 GPMG and C9 LMG Night Shoot - YouTube

A question: the downed aircraft seems to be acting as a very hard surface and bouncing every round. Wouldn't the rounds punch straight through the thin skin and then either splat or ricochet when they hit the harder spars inside?

Last edited:
Upvote 0