• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AMD/ATI Crossfire Temporary Fix!

plex

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2011
This is NOT my original post, it was originaly posted by 'kufooru' on the steam forums, i just wanted to share it with everyone here :)

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

Edit: UT3 Profiles works well also

I used to get 30-70 FPS, now i never fall bellow 65 FPS with my HD4870's in crossfire.

Download link for Radeon Pro: http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/Downloads/

So, as is to be expected from games nowadays, GPU optimization on day one is always ♥♥♥♥. Even moreso in the case of ATI cards.
And such was also the case with Red Orchestra 2, where my setup of 2xHD6950 which should, by all means, be able to eat this game for breakfast, was only getting me a poor 30FPS when nothing is going on (I measured the FPS in the training mission)
This was on Ultra settings with Occlusion on and AA set to Medium.

But there exists a nifty little tool that I've been using to circumvent poor Crossfire scaling, called RadeonPro, which is what we'll be using here today. I'm positive some of you are already familiar with this program, but then again you've probably already applied a fix.
As for those who are unfamiliar with RadeonPro, here's what you gotta do:

1. Download and install RadeonPro (duh); I posted the link above.

2. Once it's installed, start it up and click on the "Add new profile" icon (it's located on the toolbar at the top of your RadeonPro Window)
New Profile

3. Navigate to your Red Orchestra 2 executable and open it.
RO2 Executable

4. Select your ROGame.exe profile and on the right-hand side, navigate to the Tweaks tab.

5. Under Tweaks there's a section called CrossfireX Tweaks. There you'll find a drop-down box under Force CrossfireX Profile.
Use the drop-down box and find the Bioshock profile, and select it.
Tweaks Tab/CrossfireX Tweaks

6. After you're done with that, right click your RO2Game.exe profile and click "Apply now"
Now here you can also disable the FPS counter and other GUI elements by clicking on "Disable API monitoring".
You can leave this on at first to see how much of a difference in FPS there is pre and post-fix.
Disable API Monitoring

7. Basically you're done! In addition to this, there's, naturally, some more obvious fixes, such as disabling Ambient Occlusion and AA.

Well, that's about it. Doing this got me an extra 15-25 FPS, which I consider to be a pretty good gain for a temporary fix, that doesn't involve toning down settings.
You can also try some of the other available CrossfireX Profiles and see how they work out. If you find a profile that works better than Bioshock, please tell us about it!
Keep in mind, though, that there might (emphasis on might) be some side-effects, like graphics glitches and such, depending on which profile you're trying out.

I hope this guide was coherent enough, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Link to Original post on steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121606

Make sure you thank the original poster, and ENJOY!

Last edited:
Confirming this works. I have everything back up to high and all the details on ultra and medium AA at 1920x1080 with crossfire 5850s and sitting on 50-60 fps with occasional dips to 45 on Pavlov's Gaff. So much smoother than the single card option at medium settings.

Also seems the pings improved tonight, still not great but it's improved.

Upvote 0
Then what about the OP?:rolleyes:

The RadeonPro application is telling RO2 software to utilize more GPU power. Somthing the software should do by itself.

Will RadeonPro fix Nvidia high end cards? Of course not, for obvious reasons.

The software in question is Red Orchestra 2 and the problems that are happening have already been stated by the Dev's. It's poor optimization and CPU/GPU bottleneck.

The OP found a workaround to force the application to utilize more resources that's all.(as stated above in case you missed it)

Not sure about you but i'm not a fan of jumping through hoops to fix a application error due to poor coding, or in this case optimization.(coding still being relevant)

No need to be a dick, i'm just trying to help you see the obvious.(from an end user standpoint)

*EDIT* Before I get the OH LOOK AMD CF PROFILE posts, and the YOU ARE WRONG screams, AMD is simply making BETTER utilization of your cards for the game. The game itself isn't using a fraction of hardware it should without the Crossfire Profile. Monitoring usage stats will show you that. Will the profile help? Hell yes. Is the game still unplayable for me right now? Hell yes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Didn't work for me, bioshock profile makes my main gpu only work at 30% usage max while the second one jumps from 0 to 80% usage constantly.

Not to mention i would crash when trying to join any multiplayer game, i could only test this on singleplayer.

Are you sure you set the profile under CrossfireX and not Anti-Aliasing Compatibility?
It could also be some other type of error, as the game is currently riddled with them, I'm afraid. I do as well, on occasion, suffer crashes, but there's also time when I can play just fine.
I suggest you also check out the RO2 Tweaks thread on this forum; it's quite helpful.
Alternatively, try using another UE3 profile like Mass Effect (that one seemed to work fine as well) or Unreal Tournament 3 (although this one didn't show much improvement for me)
I know it might be a pain, but experimentation is key when it comes to things like this.

Upvote 0
Using the Bioshock profile causes the game to crash on startup since the latest patch. I switched to Unreal 3 and it works fine again.

I gave this game another run tonight but I just can't be arsed when my ping is 125 most of the time. This game needs to get it's netcode sorted before I'll bother playing it again.

Upvote 0