• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Air Support for Commanders

Cpt Blackadder

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2013
England
Some air support for commanders would be a nice feature and could be used as an alternative to Artillery (if one is used, the other cannot be for the same cooldown period). There is already a Stuka model somewhere ingame from what I have seen, as well as damaged plane models, however this will still probably take a while to complete if it is implemented, but more options for Commanders will help incease the immersion of being in a WW2 battlefield.

Light (same as mortars):
Fighter Strafing Run (Fw 190/Yak 1/Zero/P40 Warhawk)

Medium:
Ground Attack Aircraft Support (1 bombing run - IL-2/Ju 87/Suisei/P-47 Thunderbolt)

Heavy (same power as Rockets):
Three Fighter Bombers instead of just one bombing run (all attack a location near the target set by the commander - not just the same mark three times)

I know the Commander would probably not have access to Heavy air support, and this can be shown by a longer cooldown time. As planes were sent out by High Command.

What do you think? :)

Last edited:
For the millionth time (please use search), no.

Battalion commanders (about the size of teams in RO2 if you count reinforcements) did not have aircraft on retainer just begging to be called in so they can swoop in at a moment's notice. Artillery sits in one place all day, aircraft while aircraft have to go home eventually. Oh, and there's no way in hell they can know exactly where you called it, unlike artillery which can be fed coordinates. Besides, even if one was told to help you out beforehand for example, they wouldn't dare drop their bombs since it's infantry are practically invisible from even low altitude, and even if they could distinguish friend from foe it's a coin-toss to see who they'll hit. When you call aircraft to hit enemy positions, it's in-between battles or behind enemy lines, where you know what you'll find and tanks are lined-up neatly for the killing.

Plus there's the gameplay aspect. What does having aircraft add to the game? Why would you call a strafing run, which would be impossible anyway where troops are tucked-in between buildings or hidden in the trees, when a mortar strike is far more devastating to infantry. Calling-in a divebomber to kill a tank is a waste if it takes the same cooldown as artillery since artillery can destroy tanks as well and denies an area longer (not that people would waste artillery just to kill a tank). Airstrikes on their own cooldown would just be a free kill the tank can't defend itself against.

So, that's why not.

Upvote 0
CAS (Close Air Support) was a hallmark for US Marines during WW2. Unfortunately this would be horribly unbalanced considering in the late war maps the Japanese would have no such luxury. Seeing as how there is, I think one map set in 1942 and the rest are 44-45 I can't see this being implemented. But historically US Marines had fantastic air support with Corsairs and US Navy Hellcats.

Upvote 0