• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Aiming the 1903

y2jrock60

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
USA
I recently reach level 50 with the Type 38, Type 99, and the Garand. I have only started using the non-sniper variant of the 1903. I'm having a hard time hitting targets with this rifle. I was able to pop people in the head with the other rifles, but seem to miss head shots more often than not with the 1903. I place the tip of the front sights on enemy

I have no problems with the Springfield- it's my favorite rifle. Just don't aim for the head- a round to the chest is almost always enough to take a man down, and it's a much bigger target. I'm guessing that your problem is that you're aiming at his head at a distance far less than 100 meters, but your sights are set that high, so the bullet shoots too high. Aim lower, and that shouldn't be a problem.

Upvote 0
I have no problems with the Springfield- it's my favorite rifle. Just don't aim for the head- a round to the chest is almost always enough to take a man down, and it's a much bigger target. I'm guessing that your problem is that you're aiming at his head at a distance far less than 100 meters, but your sights are set that high, so the bullet shoots too high. Aim lower, and that shouldn't be a problem.

I always aim for centermass when given the opportunity, but there are countless times where the only target is the head. I have no problem hitting small targets with the other rifles. It's weird that I can't seem to hit them with the 1903.

Upvote 0
Under 100M it feels like aiming right at an enemy's head causes misses more often than not. Perhaps I just am so thrown off by using a bolt-action rifle while on the American team, but at 100M+ aiming for the head seems like a dead ringer for a satisfying plink+headshot notification.

Go with what others have recommended in this thread and aim for the chest (perhaps even upper chest below the neck) and you should be good. Aiming at moving targets though takes some intuition and just experience with the game but given time you'll get the knack for it, too.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to get better with the 1903, I guess I just needed some practice. The Garand definitely took a while to get used to, but I managed to become extremely comfortable and accurate with it. I think my problem with the 1903 was its wide front sight. I'm used to using the fine pointed sights on the other rifles. I discovered that you need to place the entire 1903 sight over the enemy. I believe I was shooting high in the past when just using the tip of the sight.

Upvote 0
The only time I choose the Garand over the Springfield is when US is Army instead of Marines (why can the Army even equip Springfields? Hadn't they replaced the 1903A1 before Guadalcanal?), though I would prefer if we were issued 1903A3s for the post-42 maps.

Anyway, I found that the best thing to do is be very VERY conscious of range. If they are within 100 meters, you want the top of the spike to be about level with their temple/forehead. This is generally the same if they are at 150 and you're zeroed for 200. If they are at, say, 85-115? Top of the spike, it works perfectly. One thing to be aware of though, and I've seen this a dozen times, sometimes they duck right as you're firing, or they move a bit or some such. Just the other night, I was playing on Kwajalein, plinking off japs in the trenches and not 10 times did some jap turn or duck or what-have-you right as I had the trigger squeezed and it threw off my shot.

Upvote 0