• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Add a mod where you can build you own base deffences

Bunny monster

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
So I saw rainbow 6 siege and I was thinking, can't red orchestra add the same mechanics, maybe to the engineer? It would be cool for the engineer to have a much more diverse role, like building base deffences, laying mines, placing barbed wire, things like that. Also they should develop a new mod, to assault the base while you deffend it, ( I think we already have it, but it is pretty poorly implemented). So what do you think?

How much longer before battle would you like to start the map? 1 day, a week? A Japanese timber bunker takes at least a single day for completion. Would you seriously be interested in grabbing a shovel or a saw and do construction work and a week later you are allowed to use the map for defense? Or imagine this, the enemy team decides to attack you whilst you are totally exhausted from construction work and just guns you down as you have no weapon in reach.

Barbed wires might be something that would - in small amounts - be a neat feature, however, the Unreal Engine was never really good at dynamic battlegrounds. I remember a mod for UT2k4 which allowed you to play the UDK in 1st person, meaning you could build with your Link Gun. But this is unrealistic.

Destroying barbed wire as an engineer would be cool. Yeah, yeah I know throw satchels there, I'm talking about cutting it down with a tool.

Upvote 0
I am not talking about bunkers, if anyone played Men of war I was thinking about building base deffences just like in men of war. Where you can prepare some time before the assault, position your mg's, mortars, mines, barbed wire, sand bags, fox holes, before the battle actually starts. I think 5 minutes would be just enough.:p

Upvote 0
Have you ever carried sandbags somewhere, not just two but like 10+, you are done for after doing this by yourself, at least done for enough to be a real disadvantage to your comrades. Many maps already feature good cover, some don't, but the majority already has good positions that just need to be used.
And again, in case you over-read it: The engine gives you trouble doing this also.

Upvote 0
I am not talking about bunkers, if anyone played Men of war I was thinking about building base deffences just like in men of war. Where you can prepare some time before the assault, position your mg's, mortars, mines, barbed wire, sand bags, fox holes, before the battle actually starts. I think 5 minutes would be just enough.:p

*Facepalm*
The way maps are set up, they way the engine works....You're basically asking someone to remake RO2 in a heavily modified UE3 engine with major issues (This is assuming you can actually get UE3 to do this properly... Not to mention the performance complications from this)....

Do you know how maps work?
How they are built?
How UE3 Works?
Static Meshes?
Lighting?
Volumes?

All of these greatly inhibit or make your idea impossible. End of Story. :(
Not trying to be mean or rude here, I'm just bluntly explaining why this can't be done or can be done with issues and lots and lots of work....

Map sizes for example would be increased probably by.....1.5-5 times depending on certain things, this is assuming you have fixed positions for each "defense" you put in game. Ie it can be placed at Location A, B, or C... Not placing it here in and there.
On top of that you'd have to create new volumes for players to not be able to place them in certain places. The way these maps are set up they're Static... RO2 wasn't designed in the way you're thinking...

This is just some of UE3 issues (and RO2), not all the complex problems you get when you add something like this to the game in terms of game play... I'm not getting into all the fine details of why this would screw up the game, because they're too small (some more large.) but they all add up...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seriously man, welding machine guns or using a wrench to build a bunker is not working out. The maximum you might be able to do is sandbags and maybe a terrain modifier aka entrenching tool. But as explained in detail already: engine won't provide it unless doing heavy coding and secondly, you don't want to stand there totally exhausted armed with your Klappspaten when the enemy arrives.

Upvote 0
Well I was thinking of something like Natural selection 2, where you build your base and all of that. I thought it could be the same for Red Orchestra. Wolfenstein enemy territory had it and it worked pretty good. But I wonder, can't we test it in beta to see if its worth it and how much will it consum?

As I explained above, unless you want to try modding everything, including EVERY SINGLE FILE RELATED TO THE GAME ( all the rogame, romapinfo, game modes, etc) it simply won't work. It's a nice idea and all, but unless you have the means to do it or realistically add it, it can't be done.

Upvote 0