• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Aarhghgha!!! Heeelllppp!!!

monkeyfarmer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Okay, so it's not exactly a problem with RO:O, really more of a problem with my coumputer.
You see, I've been rearanging work files and folders etc to make a neater work environment.
I've also been deleting games that I no longer play and I've been backing up files that I want to keep, but not on the harddrive. All this in preporation for RO.
Well, I wanted to make sure that the drivers on my ATI Radeon 9600XT w 256mb would up to date, so I went to www.ati.com and I found the Catalyst drivers that I have downloade and installed about a half dozen times since I got my PC. Only this time it was different. When the installation was compleate I could see that my screen was looking normal, only that it took a bit longer to start up. I read the many of the Catalyst 6.3 features are meant for newer vid cards like the X800 and beyond...X1200 maybe?
So I thought, is this new set of drivers really gona do anything at all? Will it help me run ROO when it comes out Tuesday, or will this just slow my machine down.
I decided to try to uninstall the Catalyst 6.3 and revert back to having Catalyst 5.9, Only I couldn't find an uninstall for it, so instead I went into the control pannels and opted for a system restore to how things were yesterday (yesterday was peachy). HERE IS MY BIG PROBLEM. Even though it has gone to the time period I waned in the system restore, my computer is not booting up.

When I turn the power on, I get the basic info about the ROM BIOS, It counts my ram and all that....
Then I see the windows logo and the bars underneath it doing what they always do. Then the catastrophy, my screen goes blank and the computer makes a "dying down noice" , like maybe the VPU/graphics card is not working maybe?. I can restart , but I get the same results of the think dying out before I enter windows. I can only enter windows succesfuly in when in 'safe mode'

Does anybody have a clue as to what went wrong with my computer? Like I said I just installed Ati Catalyst 6.3, wasn't sure I liked the change (probably mean't more for newer machines) and so I did a system restore to a point just before I installed the Catalyst 6.3. AND NO DICE!

I'm really woried I'll have to get a professional look at this. I don't want to be unable to play RED ORCHESTA. I wanted to play it so bad that I updated the drivers in anticipaton.

IF ANY OF YOU ARE TECHNICALLY GIFTED, ANY IDEAS OR WORDS OF SUPPORT WILL BE GREALY APPRECIATED. IT WOULD BE A SHAME TO MISS OUT ON THE RELEASE THIS TUESDAY.

HELP ME!

Id try to reinstall windows and see if that doesnt fix the issues with the drivers, and it shouldnt be that hard to find the uninstall for the drivers just look for the ATI folder and it should have an option for the uninstalling of the drivers. I wouldnt bother updating, I really doubt itll do anything for you, those newer updates are geared more towards the new cards.

also I would try posting on this forum: www.computerforum.com and/or www.computerforums.org

Upvote 0
Reformat

Reformat

I don't want to jump to conclusions here, but I may have to reformat my computer and quick to get it running in time for the release. My question is about Steam, as I have pre-loaded and paid for RO:Ost
over steam. If/When I have to reformat the hard drive, once I download steam again, will I be able to log in under my old username and password to get all of my steam games back? I'm not gonna have to find discs or pay again will I?

Upvote 0
Problem Solved!:)

For a price.$$$:(

My system did not react well to Radeon Catalyst ver 6.3 at all...
I usually update my video card drivers before installing a new game, but this will be the exception. I would suggest that anyone with an older card like my Radeon 9600XT not update to catalyst 6.3. It think it is really meant for newer cards like the X800's etc. I did end up going into safe mode and erasing all ATI drivers from my machine using the 'add/remove softawre' feature. I then reinstalled catalyst 5.9

Upvote 0