• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A very selfish and somewhat disrespectful question regarding the Soundtrack

Clumy Coyote

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2015
Bulgaria
Above everything else, the OST of kf2 is 50% of the experience for me and, i believe, other community members.

Killing floor 2's soundtrack has awoken in me the love for different types of music, other than my older genre tastes.
Demon Hunter, zYnthetic, Impending Doom, Living Sacrifice - each and every band has opened my eyes towards good music.
I have been looking for similar bands and have found somewhat fitting for the game songs.

Of course, I figured out immediately that suggesting bands to Tripwire so that they can add them in the game was a rather ridiculous idea.
The next thing was to figure out how to add them to the game myself, through game files. A Steam Guide had a detailed tutorial on how to add songs to the game. The problem was that, in order to add new songs, you have to replace the older ones, or putting it simply, rename a new song with the title of the existing one, thus completely excluding the original from the game.

I don't want that. I want all of the songs from the original soundtrack to stay while I'm shooting zeds with my magnums. Those songs + the songs I find relevant to the game's atmosphere.

My question towards you, TWI, would you be able to add some sort of "Mixer", if you may, into the game? It could be a simple mechanic which allows you to add personal songs from PC to a folder which will act as a personal Mixtape or just adding songs to the OST itself. If the coding is simple, you could even add it as an in-game item, acquired from either the Store or completing some complex challenge. And if you are shooting big, you guys could invent a feature which syncs with big music-streaming sites and music from there plays directly into the game. That's up to you to discuss.

Thank you for your time.

Honestly it would be easy.
Let's say you have 3 folders named "Wave" "Trader" and "Boss" (might aswell add subfolder for pat and hans and 3rd boss to make it even more custom)
So for waves you have your chosen music playing, for trader if you want you can add same stuff or go for more relaxing tune to buy stuff and for boss the most badass song you can add to defeat that smeghead... or add justin bieber song, whatever floats your boat :D
IMO that would be the easiest way to add your own music to the phases of the game.

Upvote 0
That internal media player where its possible to add your songs to the game is an interesting suggestion, you should really consider to add this in the suggestion part of the forum. I am not sure though if there is any law against, because I am seeing some games removing this existing and working functionality from the game.
Now about suggesting TW to just add some songs its not so simple, they need formal authorization from the song author to add it to the game music by music.

Upvote 0
DeadPlayer123;n2276607 said:
That internal media player where its possible to add your songs to the game is an interesting suggestion, you should really consider to add this in the suggestion part of the forum. I am not sure though if there is any law against, because I am seeing some games removing this existing and working functionality from the game.
Now about suggesting TW to just add some songs its not so simple, they need formal authorization from the song author to add it to the game music by music.

All they need is to acquire licenses to the songs... which is friggin expensive, $500 per song if i believe correctly.

Upvote 0
Oy The Destroyer;n2276638 said:
Hahahaha he put Demon Hunter and good music in the same sentence!!! I remember when I first heard Disturbed and thought it was "metal" too.
Technically it is metal.
It doesnt mean that every metal song has to be a dude screaming into the microphone, if you are into that sorf of thing there are metalcore, doom metal, death metal foken industrial metal and so on, so many sub genres that will please every taste.

Upvote 0
Oy The Destroyer;n2276680 said:
I guess you could maybe describe Disturbed as "nu-metal" if you wanted to but it's a stretch. I didn't say anything about vocals either.

As long as it sounds good and you like it. If you don't just move on. unless it's a Pop or Dubstep, you can back the duck out of anyone listening to that crap xD
​​​

Upvote 0
Rockstar has a User Music folder in documents/rockstar games where you just dump your music and it goes into GTA 5 Self Radio. Something like that for KF2 would be cool. The only problem with this is that it streams the music in-game so it can cause a little bit of a performance issue/memory usage to run custom music like this. On the other hand it already uses more memory to run a media player or youtube in the background which is the other way of listening to music.

Upvote 0
ButtProblems.;n2276757 said:
I leave it off honestly, sorry sound guys. My ears are too sensitive to withstand an hour of screeching and it killed the horror vibe on some of the KF1 maps for me. The game has gotten so visually loud that I think heavy metal is overkill and I'd rather have ambient soundtracks on individual maps.

thats how i feel too but then there is moments where i just want to crank it up. the ingame music is pretty awesome as it is, however i think being able to put down some tracks in a folder so you can listen to music you like is a good addition too. not a major complaint on my part it would just make life easier..rather than pulling up the steam overlay to play music you want to listen to :)

Upvote 0