• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A request: Video of someone diving to iron sights please

Lonyo

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
lonyo.co.uk
There is, I think, one way to end the IS discussion for all those who say it is fine and possible, and for those who say it is not, and here it is:

Get a video of someone diving to iron sights. Post it up here. Let people watch it.
Then, if such a video can be found/made by someone with a gun, it will show that it's possible to do. If not, then we will have evidence it may not be possible.

There will not be many stipulations, you can use any gun you want (even modern AR's etc), as long as it is reasonably sized (e.g. no pistols).

There are 3 types of dive I would like to see:
Diving on flat ground (just a basic dive as you are running along)
Diving over a low obstacle (like 6"~1'/15~30cm high)
Diving off a large height (say 3'~4', 1~1.4m) to simulate diving into a trench and brining up IS.
The reason is that maybe plain ground diving and brining up IS is possible, but the others are not, or similar.

So please, someone make a video of someone diving to IS so we can prove or disprove this thing. I would try, only I lack a gun and a video camera, so it is a little difficult.

in the german army you learn it in the following steps:

1. a large step forward with the left foot.
2. weapon taken with the left hand at the hand guard.
3. shoulder piece lays at the inside of your left thight.
4. right hand does a far reach forward whilest lower the body.
5. right hand reaches the ground, left hand moves forward.
6. left leg streches.
7. right hand gets the grip.
8. check the muzzle to asure there is no dirt.
9. fire.

note, during the whole prone process no knee or elbow should hit the ground. if there would be some stones, its ruined due the speed of impact in a real combat situation.

all that can be done in less than 8 seconds. the prone part alone may take 4 or less.

Upvote 0
in the german army you learn it in the following steps:

1. a large step forward with the left foot.
2. weapon taken with the left hand at the hand guard.
3. shoulder piece lays at the inside of your left thight.
4. right hand does a far reach forward whilest lower the body.
5. right hand reaches the ground, left hand moves forward.
6. left leg streches.
7. right hand gets the grip.
8. check the muzzle to asure there is no dirt.
9. fire.

note, during the whole prone process no knee or elbow should hit the ground. if there would be some stones, its ruined due the speed of impact in a real combat situation.

all that can be done in less than 8 seconds. the prone part alone may take 4 or less.

:D compare that to my video in my sig - its not the best quality and was done on 1 map testing it but you get the general idea- i would say it takes less than a second ingame atm

I know realism isn't everything in this game, but this doesn't even add to the gameplay at all, infact it makes it worse AND is unrealistic

Upvote 0
yes, some things run faster as they work in real life.
but also, for example a combat with the resurces Arad provides would take a week, but during that time new reinforcements arrive and without the ability to flank the whole map and operate in the back of the enemy it would prohably last forever (mention stalingrad). also capzones doesnt exist, the tankers would just give a dam about the starving enemy infantry in a 3 house village and make a parking site out of it.
but its a game and i think Tripwire did a good job at making the realism fun to play, otherwise i wernt here and would play americas army instead.

Upvote 0
yes, some things run faster as they work in real life.
but also, for example a combat with the resurces Arad provides would take a week, but during that time new reinforcements arrive and without the ability to flank the whole map and operate in the back of the enemy it would prohably last forever (mention stalingrad). also capzones doesnt exist, the tankers would just give a dam about the starving enemy infantry in a 3 house village and make a parking site out of it.
but its a game and i think Tripwire did a good job at making the realism fun to play, otherwise i wernt here and would play americas army instead.

Yes but they are gameplay elements that ADD to the gameplay. Name one thing that dive to IS adds to the gameplay.

Upvote 0
Fair enough, but its just beyond hip shot range that its the most useful and when going round corners or into rooms. I just don't see how its fair that you can do this dive in pretty much the same time as you can get up iron sights - this suggests that if I want to go to iron sights I should exploit the bug for its benefits - benefits that have presumably been balanced by the devs assuming people would do the dive THEN get IS up, rather than both at the same time. Ah well, just saying if I can do it and find it very useful at times then someone who actively goes out to exploit the game must find it even more useful - I try to only use it when absolutely necessary, but from other games you can see that theres lots of people out there that will exploit anything for an advantage and exploit it all the time.

Upvote 0
Fair enough, but its just beyond hip shot range that its the most useful and when going round corners or into rooms. I just don't see how its fair that you can do this dive in pretty much the same time as you can get up iron sights - this suggests that if I want to go to iron sights I should exploit the bug for its benefits - benefits that have presumably been balanced by the devs assuming people would do the dive THEN get IS up, rather than both at the same time. Ah well, just saying if I can do it and find it very useful at times then someone who actively goes out to exploit the game must find it even more useful - I try to only use it when absolutely necessary, but from other games you can see that theres lots of people out there that will exploit anything for an advantage and exploit it all the time.​

Well, you cannot dive and bring up iron sights at the same time, the IS has to be done after the dive. Given that, I've been getting better at the panic dive and bringing my IS up for the shot. I haven't tried it with an SMG yet, but I know I would be able to use it to dive in front of a door, IS and start clearing a room on the other side.
Get it straight people....this is NOT an exploit, this is a skill that takes work to perfect. It is also logical, when I'm holding a rifle and the PPSH comes around the corner aiming at me, I'd better hit dirt and try to get that one shot off before I get my lead shower. When I'm working to take an objective, especially in a building, it's helpful when a teamate dives in front of a door firing to help us clear rooms. (As the recieving end of that, I'd imagine people will complain, but only because they don't know the best way to counter that or were standing in a bad place to begin with.)
It really isn't that hard to deal with. The guy cannot fire while still in the air, so you have a split second to react. If he's close, get behind something, sidestep, or run on top of him and shoot down. If he's far, lay down yourself...two small targets equals the chances for you.
I really don't see the big deal, and it seems in the last couple weeks, with a few more threads about IS diving coming up...everyone has jumped on the bandwagon of whining. In game, when a dive happens, the term "dolphin diver" is being thrown around all over now. Learn to counter and learn the skill to do it when needed.

Upvote 0
Well, you cannot dive and bring up iron sights at the same time, the IS has to be done after the dive. Given that, I've been getting better at the panic dive and bringing my IS up for the shot. I haven't tried it with an SMG yet, but I know I would be able to use it to dive in front of a door, IS and start clearing a room on the other side.
Get it straight people....this is NOT an exploit, this is a skill that takes work to perfect. It is also logical, when I'm holding a rifle and the PPSH comes around the corner aiming at me, I'd better hit dirt and try to get that one shot off before I get my lead shower. When I'm working to take an objective, especially in a building, it's helpful when a teamate dives in front of a door firing to help us clear rooms. (As the recieving end of that, I'd imagine people will complain, but only because they don't know the best way to counter that or were standing in a bad place to begin with.)
It really isn't that hard to deal with. The guy cannot fire while still in the air, so you have a split second to react. If he's close, get behind something, sidestep, or run on top of him and shoot down. If he's far, lay down yourself...two small targets equals the chances for you.
I really don't see the big deal, and it seems in the last couple weeks, with a few more threads about IS diving coming up...everyone has jumped on the bandwagon of whining. In game, when a dive happens, the term "dolphin diver" is being thrown around all over now. Learn to counter and learn the skill to do it when needed.

Just want to point out - the IS animation starts as soon as you press it, and you can press it while diving - thats the problem. Starting to bring IS up AFTER you dived is fine. You can even start shooting as soon as the IS comes up, whether you hit the ground yet or not. Thing is if you want IS with an SMG, you're far bette off doing the IS dive than just crouching + IS or standing and it looks rediculous when you see people do it. Its unrealistic AND bad for gameplay IMO. Also the skill required is about as much as pressing 3 buttons in the right sequence then shooting in the right direction - how is it a skill? And last I checked, gaining an advantage by making use of a bug is an exploit, and it IS a bug - the devs said so.

Upvote 0
It's easy to dive into iron sights. However, immediately after the dive, it is difficult to aim perfectly in the first second or two.

You mean it should be? It's not like that now. Watch that video in my sig, and the other one I did with bolt actions. The bolt action one I did because at the time people were like "OMG STFU you can't start bringing IS up as you dive"

Or do you mean IRL its easy to dive to IS but hard to aim for a sec or 2. I don't see how you can bring your eye to the gun in the same instant that you land without breaking something

Upvote 0
There is, I think, one way to end the IS discussion for all those who say it is fine and possible, and for those who say it is not, and here it is:

Get a video of someone diving to iron sights. Post it up here. Let people watch it.
Then, if such a video can be found/made by someone with a gun, it will show that it's possible to do. If not, then we will have evidence it may not be possible.

There will not be many stipulations, you can use any gun you want (even modern AR's etc), as long as it is reasonably sized (e.g. no pistols).

There are 3 types of dive I would like to see:
Diving on flat ground (just a basic dive as you are running along)
Diving over a low obstacle (like 6"~1'/15~30cm high)
Diving off a large height (say 3'~4', 1~1.4m) to simulate diving into a trench and brining up IS.
The reason is that maybe plain ground diving and brining up IS is possible, but the others are not, or similar.

So please, someone make a video of someone diving to IS so we can prove or disprove this thing. I would try, only I lack a gun and a video camera, so it is a little difficult.

How abouts we all just go outside with a rifle/bb gun/large stick and dive to the ground? The dive-iron sight problem is a load of crap and should be top priority on the dev's fix list along with the insta-turn around when prone.

Upvote 0
I feel this should be done away with because most RO players do not play arcade type games anymore because they were tired of fast twitch players with great connections dominating the game. I came to RO because it was more realistic, and tactical then the arcade type games and when I see guys doing this it reminds me of those games and why I left them.

I have been killed by divers a few times and it really doesn't bother me much except for the reminder of arcade games. I also find it unrealistic to see a guy dive into a room and firing his smg killing a room full of enemy players. I really don't think a soldier would risk his life by trying this.

RO should be about aiming, tactics, and team play not about how well one can manipulate the keys on his keyboard.

Just an old mans 2 cents

Lex

Upvote 0
After reading your challenge I tried it myself in my backyard with my K98, except for the camera part. (The camera I own is about as old as dirt.)

Well I tried to dive and aim down the barrel, I ended up hurting myself more than getting into any position to fire my rifle. I may not be a professional and I might not have military training, but I still dont suggest diving and looking down the barrel at the same time as an effective way to combat someone, I wouldn't even do it in a Paintball game.

When I tried it I was in no position to fire anything accurately, when I dived I got disorented just from the impact with the ground, not to mension my head bouncing dangeriously close to the hard wood stock of my rifle, I'm sure that if I had hit my jaw or the side of my head on my rifle I would be in no shape to hit the side of a barn for at least a second or two.

Also, while I was trying it my brother looked out the window and saw me, and he said it looked way to stupid and dangerious just from a spectators point of view.

lastly, its just not in the spirit of the game to be able to do somthing like that, and it should be fixed when it can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont have a video but I have a couple diagrams.

Below are two American examples of dropping to the prone position from a RUNNING position. It dosent say springing but Im assuming that if your not springing in RO than your movement is a jog.

assume_prone.gif

Heres the second example:
p069.gif

p070.gif

Upvote 0
dude guns are not made to break.

The gun is 60 years old and I wouldn't want it to get any scratches on it. If I had that gun I'd treat it with a little more respect, I think the owner should give it to me, it would have a much happier home :p

and Piller I don't think you understand what we are talking about, but neat pictures anyway.

Upvote 0