• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question...

AmazingMilto

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
England
...for the community and the good folk of Tripwire.

It is simply "Assault Rifles....why?".

RO1 was a tactical shooter that boasted long range maps and a difficult learning curve. Yet with the current maps and these weapons, this is no longer the case.

We now have maps like Barracks and Apartmans running the show and the longest ranges we can kill at are around 300m.

The MKb is an extremely easy to use weapon, that boasts high power and high accuracy, yes it was in World War 2 and possibly Stalingrad, yet, is it a good addition to the game? It allows players to run and gun with ease and then crush those with any other weapon, minus a Machine Gun.

For the life of me I can't think of what posessed you to add these weapons, the MKb rules the show and the AVT is nowhere near as good. Its another case of German equipment ruling over Russian equipment. Due to the fact the Russians dont out-number the Germans massively, this difference means we can see the Russians lose quite often.

Frankly im looking forward to the release of the SDK so we can mod these weapons out of the game and have large, interesting maps and games.

As someone pointed out earlier, he checked the game files and found out the mbk42 was added in 2010. It wasn't in the game before. It was something added when Tripwire decided to "appeal to larger audiences".

But yeah, they obviously did not even spend 5 seconds thinking about the consequences about adding that gun, they just wanted the $$$.

Upvote 0
Personally, I agree that german weapons > soviet.

Is it because the MKb? Nope. I'm leaning towards the MP-40. It's accurate,
good enough ROF and the recoil is small. Also works for long range shots, given
you have something to support it on.

And to think of it, if I'm on the soviet side, I mostly get killed by semi-auto rifles or SMGs.
Rarely with MKb.

So, all in all, I really don't think the MKb is as good or overpowered as people
say it is.

That is, of course, my opinion.

Upvote 0
I have another question: Why another of these posts?

Sorry I just have to flame. I'm sorry for that. But I think people have noticed by now that something was off. I also agree with Dowly, MKb isn't even that overpowered. My only problem with it is that 1/2 my deaths are to an MKb, but overall it's quite liveable if I turn off the historian part of my brain.

Upvote 0
Sure most mainstream FPS'ers will flock to the MKB (the gun looks cool and is decent in *most* battlefield situations) can be used fully auto or single-fire and has a large ammo clip, but that doesn't mean it kills any better. If you use the MKB there will be situations where you will miss the bullet-penetration of some of the other weapons.

The AVT-40 has much higher penetration (on par with the LMG's in my opinion) which comes in really handy in CQB (shooting through walls and/or ceilings etc.) and also has the benefit of being switched to single-fire to take care of those medium as well as long range (ranges the MKB just can't handle as well) threats.

The PPSH has an insane rate of fire and equally insane recoil (at least until you level it up some). It is hands-down the best room-clearing weapon in the game (especially once the drum-mag is unlocked). Just don't try to use it realiably at ranges much over 100m.

The MP40 has a fairly low ROF which it more than makes up for in medim-longer range accuracy and low recoil. IMO the MP40 is the clear choice for someone new to the game as the gun is definitely the easiest to use and applicable to all but the longest of engagement ranges.

The Bolt-action rifles are simply put wonderful. Their range is unmatched (except by the actual sniper rifles) and in the hands of a proficient shooter their "lethality" is awesome. Get a good "rifle-team" together in RO2 and you can lock down large parts of any of the maps.

The LMG's are deadly to say the least. A somewhat underappreciated role, in the hands of an advanced player can mean the difference between a team winning or losing. The suppression alone that a machinegunner can dish out is well worth having one on your team.

The Semi-auto rifles strike a nice balance between range and rate-of-fire in my opinion. They have (for the purposes of this topical comparison) the damage of the "bolties" but their ROF makes them a much more viable CQB option.

The Scoped rifles are of course mere copies the bolt-actions when considering "damage" but the interesting thing there is that you can switch between iron-sight view (for those closer threats) and the scope to engange in long-range killing.

All in all the weapons in RO2 were done amazingly well and really do balance through situational use.

When playing RO2 forget the mainstream "there has to be a weapon that's UEBER and can be used in all situations equally well" mentality and just choose your weapon based on how you expect to play the current map. Those are my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: vbloke and B4$$TarD
Upvote 0
MP40 has low recoil and MKB has low recoil compared to PPSH and AVT40, so they feel much easier to use. I pretty much only play Russian, so when I rarely do play German it feels like I'm using cheat codes. I don't mind because that looks to be how it is in real life. The last thing I want is unrealistic balances.

Reactions: M.D.
Upvote 0
I have another question: Why another of these posts?

Sorry I just have to flame. I'm sorry for that. But I think people have noticed by now that something was off. I also agree with Dowly, MKb isn't even that overpowered. My only problem with it is that 1/2 my deaths are to an MKb, but overall it's quite liveable if I turn off the historian part of my brain.

Its hardly a flame, a decent well structured post in-fact. Im not really one of these historian type people, I wouldn't mind if we saw tanks and vehicles from 1944 implemented in the game, so long as balance was somewhat preserved.

EDIT: About the MP40, I dont killed by it very often, although yes its accuracy is annoying, it has poor power so if I were using a Bolt-Action I could, in most situations, get rid of my enemy and just bandage up. This low damage means it gets slayed by the PPSh a lot, due to the PPSh having a high RPM and bullet spread, combined with penetration and high damage. I find the MKb to be a buffed MP40 at times, although this is my opinion, its probably not so accurate, considering I rarely use the MKb and the MP40.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im not really one of these historian type people, I wouldn't mind if we saw tanks and vehicles from 1944 implemented in the game, so long as balance was somewhat preserved.

I can see you're kinda new to ROism... its basically: realism and historical accuracy > balance.

The best part is when you can combine the two! Like taking MKb and only having 1 for the whole platoon.

Upvote 0
I can see you're kinda new to ROism... its basically: realism and historical accuracy > balance.

The best part is when you can combine the two! Like taking MKb and only having 1 for the whole platoon.

Im not new to the idea, its been confusing me for quite some time.

the simple reason being that Warfare, isn't fair, meaning, a certain side will always win.

In games, balance is crucial, for fun. Yet, of course I do understand you can combine the two to make it fair.

Personally I feel we should have more T-34's on a map than Panzer IV's, due to the fact its realistic and balanced. We should generally have more Russians on a map than Germans to make up for the less decent equipment.

Yet somehow I dont see this being added in the game, or even modded into the game.

Upvote 0
Personally I feel we should have more T-34's on a map than Panzer IV's, due to the fact its realistic and balanced. We should generally have more Russians on a map than Germans to make up for the less decent equipment.

Yet somehow I dont see this being added in the game, or even modded into the game.

This can be implemented server side, but it makes the server "custom."

Upvote 0
I wasn't lurking around the forums back when RO1 was in its Hay-Day, but how did people react to the Stg44 that was included in the game?

Considering that the Ostfront represented 1941-1945 and it was placed in scenarios appropriate to time period why would it cause a fuss? It causes a fuss now because if the prototype was in in Stalingrad at all, it was in tiny numbers. How hard is that to understand? It would be as stupid as having Panther tanks and T-34/85s trundling around the streets of Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
RO1 was a tactical shooter that boasted long range maps ... We now have maps like Barracks and Apartmans running the show and the longest ranges we can kill at are around 300m.
You're pretty off on this. RO1 didn't have any 'long range maps', you simply couldn't see more than about 100m due to the lack of zoom, so the relatively small areas felt larger than they were. Look at the Steam achievements, you'll see that only a tiny fraction of RO1's player base has ever gotten a single 200m kill in the 5 years the game's been out. In RO2 you see 200m kills with some regularity even on Barracks, in the shots from the field next to the town hall down the road past the infirmary, and that's the second most confined map in the game. RO2 is a lot more opened up than RO1 was. Even Apartments is a noticably larger scale than the RO1 map it's a direct copy of.
I wasn't lurking around the forums back when RO1 was in its Hay-Day, but how did people react to the Stg44 that was included in the game?
Most maps didn't have it available, but even then, mostly, they just didn't use it. RO1 massively nerfed all the semiautomatic rifles to the point where they literally would not shoot where you aimed them even as close in as 70 meters, and the StG44 was even worse than that. They were only used in house fighting areas. For anything in the field, you really wanted a bolt-action, because everything else pretty much sucked. Even a scoped semi-auto was usually not worth picking up over a bolt.

Upvote 0
You're pretty off on this. RO1 didn't have any 'long range maps', you simply couldn't see more than about 100m due to the lack of zoom, so the relatively small areas felt larger than they were. Look at the Steam achievements, you'll see that only a tiny fraction of RO1's player base has ever gotten a single 200m kill in the 5 years the game's been out. In RO2 you see 200m kills with some regularity even on Barracks, in the shots from the field next to the town hall down the road past the infirmary, and that's the second most confined map in the game. RO2 is a lot more opened up than RO1 was. Even Apartments is a noticably larger scale than the RO1 map it's a direct copy of.

Ah see, I never played RO1, but looking at some of the footage it does seem bigger, I didn't really think about the lack of focusing. Cheers for mentioning that.

Upvote 0