• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question about reccording video in Red Orchestra

killaer

Mar 17, 2007
I was planning to make a video that highlights the different gameplay elements in Red Orchestra, but I need some help on a few points to get started.

First off, what's a good program to actually take the video? I'm looking for something that can take decent quality video/audio reccording. I've tried FRAPS, and while the video reccording quality is top notch I've found that Audio reccording is a bit sub par, and the sound sounds pretty bad, although this may be on my end. Do I need a sound card (Have onboard Audio) to take good quality sound reccording, or am I just not tweaking with the features in FRAPS correctly?

I was wondering what program the developers used to create their videos/trialers that promote the game.

Another thing, I was wondering if there is some sort of command/option to remove the HUD entirely? I want to try to reccord without the ammo count, health, etc.

Thanks in advance for any answers or video reccording tips in general, I'm fairly new to this.

Edit: Another sound related issue, is the quality of the sound that is recorded by FRAPS dependent on the sound card I have? I have an integrated HD audio Realtek sound device, would I get better sound quality on my reccordings by upgrading to a better sound card? FRAPS gives me really low quality recording and I was wondering if this was the fault of FRAPS, my onboard audio card settings, or just that my onboard audio card can't record very well? Sounds seem very loud and raspy when they're close up, and louder sound effects like firing your weapon and being shot at close range are very loud and have an almost cracking type effect.

Last edited:
I think the best option is Fraps. That's what the devs should be using.

You can type "togglescreenshotmode" or "showhud 0" in the console to remove HUD entirely.

Your soundcard should indeed impact the sound recorded, but IMO it's not worth to get 100$+ soundcard just to make a video with slightly better sounds.

Upvote 0
I agree your soundcard is not going to have a large impact on your recording process at this time. You are more then likely experiencing to loud of volumes that is causing the cracking. Try going to you volume properties and turn down your record source by ten percent and try it again. Until you get to the point of having very good reference speakers and your not using mp3's of any kind, then you will be ready to upgrade your soundcard.

Upvote 0