• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A note regarding historical accuracy, and why RO could get away with things RO2 can't

You really can't speak for all modders, most that do it don't really care about seeing money from the company if their mod or such gives it more sales or an idea they had is implemented, as they wouldn't be modding in the first place if they were expecting money and they appreciate it in its self if the dev takes part of it.

Most people mod to better the game for themselves and others, people make maps for having different reasons such as different gameplay their map offers or personally I find it relaxing after a long day to map. If people are willing to fix stuff for free trust me if it betters the experience in the game it's self for them and others then they are generally happy and won't care about seeing money because when you first start modding you don't expect money anyways.

Other then that people do it for experience really so they can apply to mod teams and game companies so they can start making money for their work but it starts by doing free mods first. It's happened to almost every game with modding and I don't think it's going to start now with modders asking for money.

What I gathered from most of the other posts was that people were suggesting getting hands in the DEVELOPMENT process for free. Development and modification are two different things. I've worked on a few successful modifications, and had a great experience investing time and energy into my hobby. However, these were free products. Nobody was paying for them, and if I wanted something in return I wouldn't have been involved in their development.

What people are suggesting here (and I'm "whiteknighting" against, I guess), is that a group of people be involved in the development of a lucrative property and not at SOME point go "oh gee I maybe shoulda asked for something in return heh."

I'm not sure what everyone's status in life is, but as someone paying my own way through college now, if I'm going to invest time and talent into something that is going to generate revenue I'm going to want a slice of the pie. I still mod, for free, and enjoy it.

Yoshiro also proves this by saying it's possible if we gave them good textures for free they would put it in because Tripwires like that
Yeah thats real generous of Tripwire, they don't even have to pay for content that generates them money. ;] Before you hop on the flame train, I love Tripwire and have supported them for a long time; I know thats not the intent. I'm simply pointing out the flaw in your comment, especially since it was in response to my post and began with "what a stupid comment".

That doesn't sound very logic. Unless you only care about money.
My bills and tuition aren't paid with happiness and sunshine. ;]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you really didn't get it at all.
how did we get from a comment like this, "Bite me If I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be good to have some gun lunatics helping for free in the process of making out these mistakes? So that the mistake does not even take place at creation phase", to your demanding people get paid for all the hard work? that's a stretch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's only for textures and devs already do this, Rising Storm is going to cost money and I remember seeing one of the devs go to a WW2 forum and ask something specific about one or some of the guns to make sure they are historically accurate.

Also if Tripwire came in here and said "hey guys we aren't sure if this gun had this at this time period in 1942 could you help us out and confirm" people would gladly take 2 seconds of their time (because there are knowledgeable WW2 here) and say "the gun had this and such and here are my sources that back it up with pictures" then Tripwire would model it like that.

Nothing big and no one would care, the RS dev did mention on that forum that it would be for a realistic game and no one mentioned about being paid and those arn't even people who play it, just random WW2 buffs and if they didn't want to be paid for the information, I doubt the community here would.

It happens all the time.

Upvote 0
you really didn't get it at all.
how did we get from a comment like this, "Bite me If I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be good to have some gun lunatics helping for free in the process of making out these mistakes? So that the mistake does not even take place at creation phase", to your demanding people get paid for all the hard work? that's a stretch.

You're hyperbole is a bit of a stretch, friend; I demanded nothing.

Also I'm not sure why the rationally posting people are taking offense to my comments. The original post was aimed at the guys saying "make sure every pixel is perfectly realistic, not like CoD". When you took it personally to you, I took up that conversation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I had known how this game was going to turn out I would have paid extra for the game just for Tripwire to consult with some people who knew what they were talking about, quite frankly

Let's just make paid DLCs. New exquisite weapons (PPD40 and so on, historically accurate!), new weapon variants with new animations, vehicle variants, new grenades, MG rounds with no tracers, new uniforms, new helmets, a whistle for the commander, some medals and stuff. As long as the game doens't turn in to a OT-34 flamethrower fest. ( Meaning that the game does not allow everyone to use all the stuff at the same time just because they bough it, same case with the DDE MKb42, you still have to have an assault slot for yourself in server)

The game keeps receiving new free content, like new weapons, maps, reworked old weapons and textures and animations, bug fixes etc etc. And people who don't want paid DLC don't get to cry about having to waste more money. And everyone benefits for the accelerated content creation.

As long as there is a clear differentiation between what should be free, content that belongs in the game free of charge. Meaning the stuff that we are expecting.

And what should be paid DLC, paid content that no ones really needs to play the game, but that adds variation, eyecandy, some minor side grades, a new variant of the Nagant, like the M38 carbine, that no one really needs.

The Rise of Flight model. If you want to invest on your RO2 experience, have at it. Pour money in and get awesomeness in return. If don't want to invest, and are happy with custom weapons, uniforms, don't really care so much about these somewhat minor things, you don't. And you will still be receiving a lot of benefit from the financial growth of TWI. Receiving more fixes, more bug squashing, more free content, more performance, more everything, DX11, Tesselation, migration more recent UE3 engine. Without paying for it.

TWI does not break their promise of continuing expanding RO2 without reverting to paid DLC only. But expands into DLC territory and fuels their own market success, being able to pour more money back into the game.

It worked like wonders for Rise of Flight in these past years, so much that now the game is free to play, and you only pay what you want to use. It would not need to be precisely like they did it, but along those lines, and it would work. If only people grow up and not accuse them of thinking about money and not keeping their promises.

Then they make a couple of maps based much after Stalingrad, with some STG44s, M44 carbines, awesome Tigers and IS2s, combine with all there is already in game. And sell it as a paid DLC, with some cool branding ''Battle of Berlin'' or something. 2 months later, it becomes free.

Line of thought:
It takes 3 months for every vehicle to be made...
Rich player on a money burningspree: ''Screw that! I want these vehicles in 1 month, and I will pay for that!''
So he gets acess before anyone else, that did not buy the same. For a while

Somewhat just like DDE weapons and bonus worked before launch. And it powers the game development like Rocket Fuel

I really mean all I am saying. Yoshiro tells us that developing content for today's game is much more difficult. Their team is still rather small. At this pace we will go nowhere fast. It is time to adapt. Rising Storm will be paid (no one seems to be able to confirm that), but if it is, then great!

This way they can hire guy A, B, C, and D, repolish the game, recycle what needs to be done, make new weapons, and make them more historically accurate. Hire Ross and other gun aficionados without they ever wanting money in the first place, and let them research and aid in the content creation/recycling process.

Want to become a AAA company? Better start thinking commercialy like one. But no where in that line of thinking does TWI have to become extremely greedy some day, and abandon us with crappy DLCs and terrible games at some point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I had known how this game was going to turn out I would have paid extra for the game just for Tripwire to consult with some people who knew what they were talking about, quite frankly

Agreed. I wonder who (if any?) where their historical advisors reguarding gear and weapons. With all the hype they were pumping out pre-beta they set the bar pretty high.

Granted they went higher than any other game has but after awhile of playing you start noticing things wrong. Its human nature. I know when I first started playing I didnt really pay attention to the small details. I noticed a few here and there but I was soo happy to be playing I didnt really care. Now after spending over 200 hours playing you get to know the game pretty damn well and those little things start to bug you. You can do two things: You can try to point out these flaws and hope they are improved, or you can take the game for what it is and settle for it being "good enough"

The people that dont notice and dont care and fill the forums with word diarrhea and scream "rivet counter" to anybody that actually knows what theyre talking about can suck it. Is pointing out these details really doing the game any harm? NO. Is there potential to make the game better by pointing out these details? YES. I ask WHY are these people against historial accuracy, against something that could improve the game?

WHY? When people dont know what the hell theyre talking about, the only thing they can do is talk. From the looks of it, some people just love hearing themselfs (in this case, seeing themselfs) type and/or spill out anti-historical-word-diarrhea in posts and all over these forums creating debates and pages and pages and pages of factless posts.

The fact is, if these people would simply shut the f*ck up and realize these people that acutally know what theyre talking about are trying to better this game for the benifit of everybody we wouldnt have 7 pages of posts about the color of a SVT40 bolt or in any other "rivet counting" topics. For example a typical reply from a person thats against historical accuracy: "How is the color of a bolt going to make the game any better?" and ill reply "Well, how does the correct color of a bolt make the game any worse?"

Some people claim there are endless threads about us rivet counters b*tching and complaining about the color of this, or the look of that. To those people it looks like nothing but complaining. The fact is that the developers have ignored and chose not to reply to those threads for reasons of their own. What do people do when they want attention and acknowledgement but nobody seems to care?! You make a bigger scene and put stuff in peoples faces. Eventually somebody will pay attention and hopefully acknowledge your complaints. So far they have not been acknowledged except for a reply about "time vs cost vs profit". Untill we get the acknowledgement and the answers were looking for these types of threads will continue.

On a side note, If tripwire is really that concerned about how much money it will cost them to re-do a texture or model, Ill glady pay them for their time in the form of paying for their new created DLC. Personally If I were the texture artist or modeler that produced something flawed and read about these flaws on the forums, I would make a fix for them on my own time because I take pride in my work, but thats just me. To me that shows me they truely care about being historically accurate and pleasing the fanbase, instead of making money.

Doctors are notorious for not giving a crap about you unless you pay them for their time. Its sad to see that a few of the developers have taken to the same mentality.

Last edited:
Reactions: ross and TrOOper
Upvote 0

I don't think TWI put weapons like the Mkb , AVT and MP40II because it was historically accurate, but so it would attract more people. They could of hired a dozen WW2 buffs or history majors but at the end of the day if they wanted the guns in there , they're gonna be in there.

Upvote 0
Some people are bound to see the graphical "Improvements" to historical accuracy as rather pointless.

"So, the colour of the bolt on the SVT is now shiny metalic rather than the dark-ish purple thing it was before. Why? What was the point of that? Couldn't something else have been done instead?"

(And I'm one of the people that doesn't care about the colour of the thing :p )

@Sarkis
On the whole, selling content early before it goes free. I think that the idea's a whole load of poop. If the content is there, release it, people can always give TWI more money just by buying TWI games for their buddies. I don't understand why you even mentioned the idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some people are bound to see the graphical "Improvements" to historical accuracy as rather pointless.

"So, the colour of the bolt on the SVT is now shiny metalic rather than the dark-ish purple thing it was before. Why? What was the point of that? Couldn't something else have been done instead?"

(And I'm one of the people that doesn't care about the colour of the thing :p )

@Sarkis
On the whole, selling content early before it goes free. I think that the idea's a whole load of poop. If the content is there, release it, people can always give TWI more money just by buying TWI games for their buddies. I don't understand why you even mentioned the idea.

ultimately I think it's worth it. A friend of mine who plays RO2 visited a militaria museum recently and remarked how similar the sight pictures were IRL compared to RO2, as opposed to CoD2/CoD1.

Upvote 0
@Sarkis

It's not selling content early. Is improving the quality and the speed of production of the same content, making it be available earlier than it would have been normally. All this propelled by the money made selling the same thing as paid DLC.

Upvote 0
It's only for textures and devs already do this, Rising Storm is going to cost money and I remember seeing one of the devs go to a WW2 forum and ask something specific about one or some of the guns to make sure they are historically accurate.

Also if Tripwire came in here and said "hey guys we aren't sure if this gun had this at this time period in 1942 could you help us out and confirm" people would gladly take 2 seconds of their time (because there are knowledgeable WW2 here) and say "the gun had this and such and here are my sources that back it up with pictures" then Tripwire would model it like that.

Nothing big and no one would care, the RS dev did mention on that forum that it would be for a realistic game and no one mentioned about being paid and those arn't even people who play it, just random WW2 buffs and if they didn't want to be paid for the information, I doubt the community here would.

It happens all the time.
exactly. pretty simple, huh?

You implied that my idea was crazy, because modders, gun nuts, knowledgeable people would demand money for their work at somepoint. But, well no, they are happy to help most of the time. We did buy the game. The math points that we are more than happy to give money for having fun in return.
don't bother arguing with him. he'll just side-step the issue and say you misunderstood him. ;)

Upvote 0
To all the cry babies complaining that TWI added game modes, unlocks, and **** people didnt ask for.

It is THEIR game. not yours. they wanted to do these things for the sake of experimenting, to troll you, or simply because they lost a bet, doesnt matter, you either enjoy it, tolerate it, or play something else.

Do you expect them to cater to your every little compaint and *****? you must be out of your frigging mind.

Now while some things I dont like, I really got a lot out of the 12 dollars I payed for this game. When the good outweights the bad, one can simply overlook the bad and be happy.

Now seriously... go play and wait for new content to arrive when it should arrive, *****ing here wont make them work any faster, in fact, it may slow them down, if they take the time to read what all you whiners have to whine about.

im out.

PS: I am pro historical accuracy, as I love WWII and own WWII guns my own, but complaining about game modes and features is just freaking retarded. dont like it? make your own game.

Now if we categorize RO2 as a realistic FPS, then I expect realism in it, including GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud_God
Upvote 0
To all the cry babies complaining that TWI added game modes, unlocks, and **** people didnt ask for.

It is THEIR game. not yours. they wanted to do these things for the sake of experimenting, to troll you, or simply because they lost a bet, doesnt matter, you either enjoy it, tolerate it, or play something else.

Do you expect them to cater to your every little compaint and *****? you must be out of your frigging mind.

Now while some things I dont like, I really got a lot out of the 12 dollars I payed for this game. When the good outweights the bad, one can simply overlook the bad and be happy.

Now seriously... go play and wait for new content to arrive when it should arrive, *****ing here wont make them work any faster, in fact, it may slow them down, if they take the time to read what all you whiners have to whine about.

im out.

It is only you whining, and no one before you. :p

Upvote 0

im out.

PS: I am pro historical accuracy, as I love WWII and own WWII guns my own, but complaining about game modes and features is just freaking retarded. dont like it? make your own game.

Now if we categorize RO2 as a realistic FPS, then I expect realism in it, including GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol another one of these, these are getting to be a cliche now, it's like I don't even have to read the post to know what it says.

Upvote 0