• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics A Guide to Effective Voice Comms

Thanks a lot for all the documents :)

I only have one thing to say about the .pdf guide: Since we're talking about public servers (and not organized matches), you might need to simplify even more.

Things that don't really fit for the average RO2 player:

- OPFOR, Tangos: unless you played some tactical shooters before (most famous being Rainbow Six, or more recently ArmA), you don't immediately know what it means.

- good guys/bad guys : while it's useful to not use "Allies"/"Axis" to avoid confusion, good/bad is too much associated with the value system (good/bad things) and might be even more confusing (generally, people don't associate "good" with the WW2 german soldiers, even if they were just regular Wehrmacht soldiers).
=> Using "we" and "the enemy" (or "they") is often the best way to carry that information to the layman.

- 90 seconds: Use "1min30" instead.
1) Most people have difficulties calculating numbers bigger than 50, especially in the heat of the action.
2) In terms of time measurements, most people are used to/stuck with the 12 hours (or 24 hours for europeans minus UK/Ireland), 15-30-45-60 minutes/seconds system.
3) The game displays time in a " minutes : seconds" format

- NATO phonetic alphabet: Again, if you're not into military stuff, you don't immediately associate "A" with Alpha, or "C" with "Charlie".
=> "D capzone" or "D capture point" is much more common among gamers, and the game only displays A-B-C-D-E-F, you never see "Bravo" or "Delta".
It also doesn't really sounds WW2-ish, in the popular culture the NATO phonetic alphabet is associated with modern warfare only.

- no please/sorry/thank you: Again, we're talking about public server. People get emotional easily, using words such as "thank you" or "sorry" can really create that ephemeral trust between you and your teammates. As long as you keep it short, it doesn't cause a problem. There's no such thing as a reasonable teammate using logic and favoring the team over his own ego.

- "opening" instead of "windows": if it's an undestroyed building with windows, for the sake of being sure other players understand, you need to say "window" so they immediately understand.

Otherwise, your document is really excellent: I haven't noticed I wasn't reporting so many useful informations before, I'm gonna have to read it several times before doing it correctly :D

Also, when you call the recon airplane... don't just say "Aerial Recon up", tell them to "use the Overhead Map to locate enemies" (shortened to "RECON IS UP, USE MAP*" / "USE MAP TO LOCATE ENEMIES" when repeating during the whole reconnaissance), an awful lot of players don't know how the recon airplane works.

*explaining the Tactical View would be too difficult, keeping it to the Overhead Map is more efficient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for all the documents :)

=> "D capzone" or "D capture point" is much more common among gamers, and the game only displays A-B-C-D-E-F, you never see "Bravo" or "Delta".
It also doesn't really sounds WW2-ish, in the popular culture the NATO phonetic alphabet is associated with modern warfare only.

I agree -- except that NATO is not "modern warfare only" since it's been in use since the 1950s...anyways -- here's a list of circa WWII Phonetic Alphabet for realism, should folks desire:

Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog, Easy, Fox, George, How, Item, Jig, King, Love, Mike, Nan, Oboe, Peter, Queen, Roger, Sugar, Tare, Uncle,Victor, William, X-ray, Yoke, Zebra.

Upvote 0
Not a fan of all that Tango, Charlie Nato Shenanigans. To communicate effectively via Voice you need to make basically only two things. Communicate in a clear way that leaves not much space for misinterpretations and use a speech and language that is clear and easy to understand and does not require any knowldge of stuff like the NATO Alphabet. Something like that works probably only in smaller groups that really know stuff like that. I dont think it would really help much if you play it on a pub-server. Sure some people might get what you mean but a lot of people wont and you most likely confuse them.

As said I think the guide is good but I dont think it really works on public servers.

Upvote 0