• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A few suggestions..... Please discuss

snakedude24

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006
Suggestion #1

Now, before I write anything else, I would like to point out that I realize the difficulties, time, and effort of implenting aircraft into the game. This is an idealistic post, so bear with me.

I personally would love to see the inclusion of aircraft into RO. Not in a silly way like in BF2, but perhaps having the planes spawned in the air, and waiting to release them until a full crew is available (aka team flying).

Reasons:

A.) Aircraft were historically a deciding factor in many battles - witness the Battle of Britain for the Germans, and late-war attacks by the Allies. They would also allow for more realism regarding tank strength, as there would be another counter to them.

B.) Immersion. Imagine being in a trench, pinned down by a machine gunner, and suddenly you hear a plane swoop over your head, 100 feet off the ground, strafing its way up to the MGer.....

Of course, this is only practical on larger maps - Arad, Orel, and Black Day July come to mind.

If implemented, this would allow for infantry to have a little more support - and the flyboys a little more fun.

Suggestion #2

Increased suppression effects. I know that this has been discussed to death, but I messed around today and figured out just how little blur there really is.

I played with bots on Arad, with God mode on. I set up my PTRD, and proceeded to fire at two tanks.

They fired at me with the MG, and I could clearly see them, and destroyed them with ease.

Of course, I normally would have been killed, but the fact that even as exposed as I was I could still land perfect shots is definitely a problem.

Suggestion #3

On Kaukasus, I tend to get "stuck" on the Tower Ruins' staircase, which reduces me to a slow walk. I have to sprint to get past them. I'm not sure what causes this, but my cousin has the same problem.

Suggestion #4

Implementation of an easier "undeploy" feature for MG's and PTRDs. Right now, you have to hit the deploy button again, and then change weapons, or move.

The problem with this is that is it not conducive to quickly pulling a pistol.

Example: You are right next to a tank. You fire the PTRD into it, and the tanker "teleports" out of it. You attempt to pull your pistol, but then realize that for some inane reason, you must first undeploy.

Unless someone can point out why this is realistic, I would like to see it taken out.

Suggestion #5

Allow for individual stripper clip reloading on the G41. I love the gun, but the long load times mean I don't want to take it. I try to reload it every 5 shots, but sometimes that isn't possible.

Example: I am in the Tower Ruins on Kaukasus. I fire all ten shots at 2 enemies trying to get to the top level. I reload my first stripper clip, and notice a enemy run into the Tower. I am forced, for no reason, to continue my reload, which leads to certain death.

I would simply allow the player to reload one clip, and then hit reload again for the second one.

There's probably more, but I'm tired of typing. Feel free to tear these ideas to shreds, as we usually do.

Sounds like an interesting idea, but there's just no room in your standard map to have aircraft. Maybe static, once-over paratrooper drops or bombing runs, but not player controled aircraft. I don't see how they could add something like that in RO unless they remade the maps to include a much larger airspace. Right now I'm sure they're cut off just right so they only use as much space as needed.

Upvote 0
yeah adding flyable airplanes is not something that i would like to see. even on the larger maps, because it will unevitably turn out like in bf1942. where you will have flyer experts that will take out your tank within seconds after it leaves spawn. tanks are pretty much defenseless against planes, none actually have a commander turret AA mg.

maybe adding airstrikes, like the artillery strikes but with unmanned airplanes striking at a selected objective. that would be cool

Upvote 0
I think suggestion 1 is a bad idea because of several reasons.
First reason is that the maps for RO are too small.
Secondly, maps should be almost sterile (cover, obstacles etc.) for pilots so they can have a bit of framrate. Flying over the battlefield they should be able to see more then a footsoldier can. Some maps allready have performance issues.
Thirdly, they should add a lot more then just planes to make it workable. We need AA equipment if we get planes otherwise it would be completely annoying for people on the ground.

Suggestion 2 I can totally agree with. We could use some more supression effect under different circumstances.

Suggestion 3 I can totally agree with. There are more maps with that problem.

Suggestion 4 is a combination of 2 problems. 1 is magically teleporting tankcrews and 2 bad weaponswitching from the point of view of a support gunner (both MG's and PTRD).

Suggestion 5 is something that could use some finetuning. Why force people to automatically reload the second stripperclip..? Should be done manually.

Upvote 0
I'm going to be a 'bad idea' person.

Most aircraft in WW2 wouldn't operate directly over the front lines. It's far too dangerous strafing your own troops, bombing a T34 instead of a Tiger etc. Most would attack supply convoys or enemy prepared positions. So it'd be hard to do, AND innacurate.

Other ideas aren't all that bad though.

Upvote 0
I like these ideas a lot, good work snakedude24, but as for the aircraft suggestion, I was thinking about somthing different.

I dont believe that there should be any aircraft that can be controlled by a player, it would just cause problems. Maps too small, tons of work on TW's part to add it, even more work to add defensive measures like AA guns and such, its just not worth it and it doesn't work with the gamestyle that RO has allready set for itself.

But some of you may remember back in the mod, on the old Hedgehog map, where every once in a while a plane would fly overhead, it didn't do anything special, it couldn't be shot down, it was just there for looks. I believe that if aircraft are included in RO they should mainly fill that purpose for environmental effects.

But I can think of a couple ways aircraft that effect the ground battle could be included. Now I dont have any proof but I feel safe saying that groud troops occassionally were attacked by aircraft, either fighters or bombers of some sort, not all the time, but I bet it happened a few times. I also heard that Stalingrad underwent very heavy bombing while troops from both sides occupied the area, but I'm not sure if thats true. (Its getting late over here and I cant search to find the truth now.)

If on some maps there were a few aircraft that when triggered would follow a track of sorts and just fire its machine guns and drop bombs on a few specific locations. Maybe if when a specific objective is captured or after a set time limit a wave of bombers will fly over head and drop their explosives, while the ground troops have to find cover and wait it out.

Of course this shouldn't be on every map, it would just be a feature on a few select maps at the map designers decision.

I feel that adding player controled aircraft wont be in the best interest of the game, but controlled aircraft custom for the map shouldn't be totally out of place in RO, they were somthing soldiers and tanks might have had to deal with on occasion.

Upvote 0
Aircraft just can't be implemented in any kind of realistic way for many, many reasons.

Not least, the maps would have to be vast so that you could not see the edge of the map when in the air.

Besides, aircraft where not intensionaly used in combat zones.

Close Air Support did exist in WW2, and if that's not "intentionally used in combat zones" I'm not sure WHAT you'd call it.

How about a mod for RO that takes us into the skies. That way there is no worrying about implementing much ground stuff.

There are plenty of flight sims- IL-2 for example- which do this better already.

Upvote 0
It would be good if you could spawn in a plane already flying. It would be flying outside the map boundry in clouds basically, but it just spawns at the map edge once you have a full crew and then you have 1 chance at bombing a tank and then it gets taken over by the AI and flown out of the map. Meanwhile you spawn in a new 1 and do the same again but from a different position (but from the same general direction).

You could even have a fighter plane trying to counter the bomber - he would spawn in at the same time as the bomber and get one chance before they fly out of the map zone (turning circles would be too much for the map zone presumably). Wouldn't this be realistic because you wouldn't circle around in the kind of way you see in BF and would give the impression of lots of planes but really theres only 4 planes per map - 1 bomber and 1 fighter each side. This would take 8 players in total (1 driver, 1 shooter per plane?) so player limits would have to be increased or some tank crews taken out. This would be great of a 64 player server in RO2

Re going up some stairs - they need to make the stairs less steep so you don't hit you head on the roof. I always crouch and sprint when going up stairs because of this

Upvote 0
WTF do you think the Blitzkreig tactic was?

At the range in wich infantary engage it is totaly impossible to drop even the smallest of bombs on the enemy without haveing a huge risk of hitting friendlys.
A) because bomb accuracy is mesured in hundreds of feet
B) because bomb blast is very big
C) because from the air you cant see who the enemy is unless you are told where he is beforehand

"Close" Air support did happen, but it needed to be pre-planned and so can only be used when the frontline is predictable for at least a hour. That is the only way to prevent friendly fire.

The thaught of one plane attacking a couple of tanks and 10-16 infantary on a map that is hardly half a mile wide is totaly insane!

Upvote 0