• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

7.62x51mm Platzpatrone and mauser!

theta123

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Hey guys.

I love blanks. i love firing blanks.Why?

Medic's answer to every question in the universe. - YouTube

A german militaria seller has 7.62x51mm NATO blanks for sale each month here at the militaria fair. These are german made, surplus non corrosive 7.62x51mm NATO blanks wich the casing is made from plastic. The extractor rim is made off brass however. They are made because back then, plastic was cheaper then brass.

Image1508.jpg

german-308-blank-natobig.jpg

I bought a box of 50 for 10 euro, as i like collecting blanks. However this guy claims that these can be fired safely from a 7.92x57mm mauser.I know for a fact you cant fire 7.62x51mm NATO brass blanks from a mauser. You cant insert the rounds nor extract them

However, i took one of these rounds, removed the powder, disabled the primer...And i can confirm that these rounds, when placed in my yugoslavian mauser M24-52C=

-insert in the magazine
-Go in the chamber with no problems
-Extract with no problems.

The question is however...will these blanks safely fire from my Mauser? I cannot test it right now as the range is closed for the winter.

I have to find myself a measuring unit, to measure the diametre of the case. Wich looks thick enough to safely sit inside the chamber.

The reason why i made this topic, is that in 1 month, i can buy 10 boxes for only 5 euros each! Thats 500 blanks for 50 euros! DONT ASK ME WHY! but i love BLANKS

Presumably, these things have a reduced powder load, so they will not damage your rifle.

Therefore, the only problem you might encounter is that the fired blank will bulge out (since the chamber is presumably larger than the round) and get stuck. If that happens, you'll need to spend 3 minutes with a long steel cleaning rod to knock the blank out. Since these things are plastic, they won't get stuck permanently - worst-case scenario, you'll cut em out of the chamber.

Tl;dr
1) They won't damage your gun
2) They might get stuck and the only way to find out (short of finding another person who tried the same blanks) is to actually fire and see

Best wishes,
Daniel

Upvote 0