• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

5 Second Spawn Immunity

defektive

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
UK
Grant 5 seconds of immunity to all spawnees.
+ able to escape spawn campers and artillery.
+ can reach spawn area exits (that can be legitimately overwatched) but not enough immunity time to get out in complete safety.
+ renders spawn point TK nade suicides almost impotent.
+ maps don’t have to be artificially remodelled to refuse enemy line of sight on all starting and forward static spawn points.

When spawning at a static point: spawnees can attack* during immunity period.
+ needed for clearing out and discouraging spawn campers.

When spawning on SL: spawnees cannot attack* during immunity period.
+ prevents unfair advantage against legitimate strong forward enemy positions.

Most people know how much spawn camping is ruining a good number of the maps currently available. It’s a pox on the game and should be mitigated in some manner as a matter of game play urgency. A brief period of spawn immunity would tick many boxes without needing to undertake significant map redesign efforts.

Most people now realise that spawning on SL (if you can get it to work at all – but that’s another issue) is tantamount to a death sentence. Even when an SL is given fair warning of a spawn phase (SLs need to see the spawn timer BTW) and makes his way back into cover there is still a very good chance that the people who spawn on his position will not only materialise on the dangerous side of the cover but also often facing completely the wrong direction. Net result is spawn death and no-one bothering to spawn on SL ever again. A brief period of passive* immunity would enable the spawnee to quickly find some cover, but wouldn’t enable him to attack well placed enemy whilst immune.

* I.e., can only move; cannot shoot, melee or lob nades/bombs/smoke.

EDIT: There might be a need to have immune avatars show up as being so in some visible manner, particularly with spawn on SL, otherwise enemy may confuse having no effect on the immune with hit detection faults. Perhaps a yellow icon or base circle.

Last edited:
try the older method of a couple seconds or until they shoot. 5 seconds could be abused for finding enemy positions, you could run out of a building you spawned in and be shot at by some people then have time to run back.

still preferred the invulnerability-while-in-spawn method from ostfront though. that taught those cheeky bastards camping in the flak emplacement on konigsplatz :D

Upvote 0
Agreed with spawn immunity in normal spawnpoints, but disagree with immunity for spawning on squad leader. This ability is good enough already, and should be used with caution. If you protect that as well, spawning on SL becomes a no-brainer.
No, spawn on SL is broken and people rarely use it because a) you have no clue when it's going to work and b) you often pop out in the middle of nowhere and immediately get your a$$ shot off. A brief moment of invulnerability is necessary even if just enough time to duck or dive into nearby cover.

Specific unvulnerability times are up for debate and testing, it's the principle I'm proposing.

Upvote 0
Because being invincible for 5 seconds is werry unrealistic.
Cheers!

Spawning is unrealistic.

Spawning with protection is no more unrealistic, but it would make more sense game wise.

This would be the first step to make the game playable. TW fails to see, that the (potential) core player base doesn't really care about small map bugs/lousy performance. If the game is good, you can always learn to live or avoid until they get fixed eventually. You can't learn to live with a game that has bad basic gameplay and nothing is getting done about it.

Americas Army 2.x had a active and large player base for years, even though the game crashed, bugged, looked ugly and was full of exploits and cheaters. Reason? The game/combat mechanics were better than in any game before or after. RO2 died in 3 weeks, not because of bad maps or bugs, but because of small, basic design f*%# ups.

Upvote 0
The real problem I see is that the spawn options don't work the way they're supposed to. When I choose Spawn Area B, I spawn at A. When I choose squad leader, I spawn at B. Granted that I've only been recently playing on 3 separate servers, mainly 2FJ.

Add to this is the fact that the semi-colon (';') option doesn't work well at all, constantly disappearing way before you can pick a point to spawn at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Americas Army 2.x had a active and large player base for years, even though the game crashed, bugged, looked ugly and was full of exploits and cheaters. Reason? The game/combat mechanics were better than in any game before or after. RO2 died in 3 weeks, not because of bad maps or bugs, but because of small, basic design f*%# ups.
Tru dat. ;)

Reactions: howzcat
Upvote 0