• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2 questions

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
I've been wondering about these two lately:

1) Are you in some way penalized for firing a weapon that does not belong to your class. For example, if an assault trooper picks up a sniper rifle, will he have more sway, less accuracy,... than a sharpshooter?

2) Do bullets lose power over distance?

A cookie for everyone who answers!

I've been wondering about these two lately:

1) Are you in some way penalized for firing a weapon that does not belong to your class. For example, if an assault trooper picks up a sniper rifle, will he have more sway, less accuracy,... than a sharpshooter?

2) Do bullets lose power over distance?

A cookie for everyone who answers!
There is no penalty for firing any weapon you pick up on the battlefield. You get the same accuracy as anyone else with that weapon. There is some debate whether non-snipers should be as accurate with a sniper rifle as the real sniper. Right now, anyone that picks up a sniper rifle is as accurate as the sniper.

Ballistics are modeled but I don't know if power is. Bullets travel in an arc that is determined by the muzzle velocity of that particular weapon. I don't know if diminishing velocity or power is actually modelled though. It would make a difference with velocity (time of flight) but, since bullets in RO:Ost don't ever go through anything, modeling diminishing power is pointless.

Oatmeal raisin please.

Upvote 0
Weapon proficiency is reliant upon YOU... which is the way it should be IMO. Personally, I **** with sniper rifles so when I pick one up - bam - penalized due to my lack of skill with the weapon. Artificial randomness added to simulate non-proficiency isnt necessary, again, in my opinion. The weapons should go where you point them, unlike a certain Source game that flings aimed rifle shots off the mark for no apparent reason.

As far as I know in regards to power, no they dont lose power over distance but they do drift when shooting downrange from extreme distances... that's where the individual skill part comes into play. With the sniper you can put the crosshairs right on a guy and still miss because you havent made the adjustments for distance and magnification of the scope... something I havent fully grasped yet (although I should say I never play sniper).

I've been in situations where an enemy has had several clear shots at me because I was engaged elsewhere and he missed all of those shots... only to have me turn and fire upon him and connect in the first try... that right there is an example of the natural penalty a player has when he is not used to his weapon, and it wasnt something artificial added to the game in order for that penalty to exist.

Upvote 0
At the very bottom of the player class description's it has these for the MG and Sniper classes:

• The Scharfshutze is more accurate with a scoped rifle than anyone else.
  • The Sniper will be far more accurate with a scoped rifle than anyone else.
  • The MG-Schutz can bring the LMG into action more quickly than others as well as handle barrel changes; a leader spotting for him will increase his accuracy.
  • The Pulemetchik can bring the LMG into action more quickly than others; a leader spotting for him will increase his efficiency.
Whether they actually apply in-game, I'm pretty sure the sniper one does, but I don't know about the whole 'spotter increasing accuracy/efficiency' thing.

Upvote 0
/un-lurk

/un-lurk

In the RORoleInfo actor, the template used for the generic properties of the in game roles, there are 2 variables defined (or declared? I'm no coder) that seem related to this issue:
Code:
var()   EWeaponType PrimaryWeaponType; // Role will recieve bonuses based on thier primary weapontype Weapon abilities
var bool bEnhancedAutomaticControl; // True if this person has extra experience in controlling automatic weapons( not including MG's)
Now as I said I'm no coder, I don't even know if these are still used or if they're leftovers from a previous solution to a long fixed problem, but it looks like there may be some very slight bonuses/penalties for weapons out of class, though mostly for SMGs.

That being said, if this stuff does still play a role it's a very minor one, enough to make a difference to the classes, but not so much that anyone would be able to tell and, as a result, feel the situation is unbalanced (the perfect amount, perhaps).
The first part obviously doesn't make that much difference as there are some circumstances where Squad Leaders can choose between SMGs and semi-auto rifles. They (possibly) end up with decreased ability if they choose the rifle, but it's clear that the decrease is so minor as to be irrelevant.

If someone were to start a botmatch and use a role assigned PPSH-41, then respawn as a rifleman and "borrow" one from a friendly Russian bot, I doubt they'd notice much, if any, difference between the two.

Anyway, there's a small piece of the tech aspect from someone who doesn't really understand it. Hope it sheds some light on the situation.

Upvote 0
Weapon proficiency is reliant upon YOU... which is the way it should be IMO. Personally, I **** with sniper rifles so when I pick one up - bam - penalized due to my lack of skill with the weapon. Artificial randomness added to simulate non-proficiency isnt necessary, again, in my opinion. The weapons should go where you point them, unlike a certain Source game that flings aimed rifle shots off the mark for no apparent reason.

As far as I know in regards to power, no they dont lose power over distance but they do drift when shooting downrange from extreme distances... that's where the individual skill part comes into play. With the sniper you can put the crosshairs right on a guy and still miss because you havent made the adjustments for distance and magnification of the scope... something I havent fully grasped yet (although I should say I never play sniper).

I've been in situations where an enemy has had several clear shots at me because I was engaged elsewhere and he missed all of those shots... only to have me turn and fire upon him and connect in the first try... that right there is an example of the natural penalty a player has when he is not used to his weapon, and it wasnt something artificial added to the game in order for that penalty to exist.
Well said. :)

Upvote 0
ahh

ahh

I had a feeling some of that stuff was unused, and I didn't even think of the bots. Thanks for clearing that up Yoshiro.

Guess this means REZ is absolutely correct, which is kinda reassuring. It's nice to know that it's my own darn fault the other guy's still alive, it means with a bit of effort on MY part he'll be the one lying down next time, regardless of which of his fallen comrade's weapons I shoot him with.:D

Upvote 0