• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS 2.5x scope on Japanese LMG does not disappoint

wokelly

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2006
I just spent the entire day playing with it after leveling up my type 96 to lvl 50, and boy does it rock. First off, it is sweet you have the option to switch between the scope and iron sights, makes the gun good in most situations though the scope blocks the entire view to the right of the magazine when using irons.

The scope takes some getting use to, and frankly to use it to its best, you need to go into options and double your aimed view sensitivity. Default lvl 50, your sensitivity goes WAY down when aiming down the scope, WAY too much.

That said, with some sensitivity modifications the scope rocks. The scope view is far superior to the iron sights, not obstructions in the way to lose people behind. The increased zoom allows you to hit targets farther then normal (duh), but also allows you to shoot better through bushes since that opening in the foilage is MUCH bigger when using a scope.

On IWO, if you know the right spots, it absolutely slaughters the Americans. I had an 95 kill and 116 kill run with it today (2 matches per map), was actually afraid people would kick me because they thought I was hacking.

On Guadalcanal, you can cover one of the first two cap points pretty well from the roof of the huts on the japanese side. On Hanoto, again some good positions you can cover parts of the first cap, and the scope allows you to hit the reinforcements coming in from behind.

Honestly this is potentially the best upgrade in game for any gun, my kills with LMGs have probably doubled with it. The type 96 with the scope is very easy to snipe with as well, I am curious about how the type 99 measures up with the scope but have no inclination to go back to iron sights.

I unlocked the 2.5x scope on the Type 99 last night but didn't have the opportunity to put it through extensive testing. From my short experience using it I do have one complaint, my lack of keys left for binding. The scope appears to be extremely useful but there are certain circumstances where the iron sights would be more effective. I still haven't found a comfortable binding for my weapon attachment key. The #6 key is too far away from WASD and prevents me from using the movement keys for a split second when reaching for it, that split second can be the difference between life and death in RS. I already have all of my keys around WASD bound. Up until I unlocked the 2.5x scope I never had the need to quickly hit the weapon attachment button. I've become extremely comfortable with my key bindings but I'm going to have to reconfigure a few buttons. I hate changing controls I'm familar with, it usually takes me a while to become comfortable with a new layout. That is my only complaint about the 2.5x scope at the moment, it's not related to the scope itself but to me neglecting the weapon attachment key when I started playing the game.

Upvote 0
Nice for you to have a gadget. Still damages gameplay with all these unlocks and progression.

There is a mode called Classic made specifically to appeal to people who share your opinion. Let the people who enjoy the unlocks and progression system continue to play Realism. There is no point in trying to force your opinions on everyone when there is already a game-mode which disables unlocks and progression.

Upvote 0
There is a mode called Classic made specifically to appeal to people who share your opinion. Let the people who enjoy the unlocks and progression system continue to play Realism. There is no point in trying to force your opinions on everyone when there is already a game-mode which disables unlocks and progression.

You mean like new players like yourself?
I stand to my statement. But whatever makes you happy.

Upvote 0
I unlocked the 2.5x scope on the Type 99 last night but didn't have the opportunity to put it through extensive testing. From my short experience using it I do have one complaint, my lack of keys left for binding. The scope appears to be extremely useful but there are certain circumstances where the iron sights would be more effective. I still haven't found a comfortable binding for my weapon attachment key. The #6 key is too far away from WASD and prevents me from using the movement keys for a split second when reaching for it, that split second can be the difference between life and death in RS. I already have all of my keys around WASD bound. Up until I unlocked the 2.5x scope I never had the need to quickly hit the weapon attachment button. I've become extremely comfortable with my key bindings but I'm going to have to reconfigure a few buttons. I hate changing controls I'm familar with, it usually takes me a while to become comfortable with a new layout. That is my only complaint about the 2.5x scope at the moment, it's not related to the scope itself but to me neglecting the weapon attachment key when I started playing the game.

I use the [G] key for this. Who uses the auto-grenade throw, anyway?

I also use the Forward and Reverse buttons on my mouse for lean, freeing up [Q] and [E], which I use for Tactical display and Overhead Map.

Upvote 0
I use the [G] key for this. Who uses the auto-grenade throw, anyway?

I also use the Forward and Reverse buttons on my mouse for lean, freeing up [Q] and [E], which I use for Tactical display and Overhead Map.

I use a mouse with alot of buttons ( G 700 )...for "exotic" and "second hand" configs. But its hard to get ridd off my ro1 key layout. :D

Upvote 0
You mean like new players like yourself?
I stand to my statement. But whatever makes you happy.

Forum join date does not necessarily correlate to how long I have been playing Red Orchestra. I too enjoyed Ostfront greatly and enjoy both Classic mode and Realism mode and play both quite often. However, I like to keep an open mind and do not discriminate against others because of their game mode preference. Just because I have played Ostfront back in the day does not automatically grant me the right to be condescending and elitist to all the new players and force my opinions upon them.

Upvote 0
Forum join date does not necessarily correlate to how long I have been playing Red Orchestra. I too enjoyed Ostfront greatly and enjoy both Classic mode and Realism mode and play both quite often. However, I like to keep an open mind and do not discriminate against others because of their game mode preference. Just because I have played Ostfront back in the day does not automatically grant me the right to be condescending and elitist to all the new players and force my opinions upon them.

Don't mind the classic mode purists. They take condescension to a new level. I've been RO playing for 9 years and prefer realism.

People like Piscator should be ignored. Their condescension is highly offensive and they do not represent all of us.

And Piscator..tone it down buddy. You aren't "better" than all of us and your tone leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

There is no intention to force my opinion on anyone. I criticized the unlock system and not yourself. My statement is that the unlock and progression system damages gameplay and I stand to this because I believe it does great damage.

Don't worry, the moderator found my answer so offensive that I received an infraction for it. My first post was an unreflected outburst, unnecessary as it might be I can see no offense in it, neither the second one as I said "new player" which I assumed you were. If I did seriously hurt your feelings please accept my apologies.
And the "whatever makes you happy" means literally if you are happy with that that is good. No offense meant either.

Some people here have a really thin skin it seems. I mean I am disgusted by the language and tone being used in game often but to find my post offensive does take a lot.
So sorry to anyone this might have been offensive but my general statement about gameplay stands!

Regards
Edgar

PS: @Randy Newman
We "Classic purists" are not better but given this thread it makes me believe we are as most of you seem to feel inferior and need to justify their choice.
And if you want to criticize me at least spell my name right.

PPS: I will not post in this thread anymore so no need for any more outcries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0