• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

12 ways Consoles are hurting PC gaming

Other than pay developers ridiculous royalties to make exclusives.

Just to be exclusive doesn't neccessarily include being ****ty. Again, I can't blame companies for the want to make money. Capitalism won the cold war, remember?

Also, as the internet has become fast enough, it freed small and/or independent developers from the "shackles" of distribution. While it's true that the tripple A titles usually don't click with me anymore (except RPGs and rockstar games), there's a huge offer of niche products and indi gems out there we have never seen before.
I for one am quite optimistic that there will be more and better games to suit my tastes, simply because the hurdle of getting a game out there shrunk away from having to produce a an actual good in a factory and delivering it globally (or at least, market wide) while having enough advertisments and publicity to get people interested, to simply word of mouth and a download server.
Actually, at least the indie scene right now works quite similar to how games spread when I was a wee little boy. Just that the schoolyard as the place to exchange and discuss games is replaced by the internet.

Also, if you can afford it, I severely recommend getting at least one other gaming plattform. I for one have a PC, a PS3 and a Wii (and an old PS2...) and what I noticed is that a game might be "meh" on a PC, it still can be quite good for a console, and not because of different standards and expectations, but because, for some reason, you play with a different mindset if you sit on your couch in front of your TV with a controller than if you sit hunched over your keyboard, close to the screen.

Also, I have played some games on multiple plattforms for various reasons, and while there are games that work better on the PC, like Dragon Age: Origins, there are others, like Saints Row 2, that work better on consoles.

So, conclusively, due to my gaming habits, which have changed in the recent years, "consolification" doesn't have this vibe of imminent doom for me.

Upvote 0
companies should make money, but they're doing it at the expense of pc gamers. that's stupid and wrong.

i will never resort to buying a console because that's what they want.

and i will never buy console ports.

at least this saves me a ton of money that would probably go toward simplistic console crud.

Upvote 0
Actually, at least the indie scene right now works quite similar to how games spread when I was a wee little boy. Just that the schoolyard as the place to exchange and discuss games is replaced by the internet.

Also, if you can afford it, I severely recommend getting at least one other gaming plattform. I for one have a PC, a PS3 and a Wii (and an old PS2...) and what I noticed is that a game might be "meh" on a PC, it still can be quite good for a console, and not because of different standards and expectations, but because, for some reason, you play with a different mindset if you sit on your couch in front of your TV with a controller than if you sit hunched over your keyboard, close to the screen.

Also, I have played some games on multiple plattforms for various reasons, and while there are games that work better on the PC, like Dragon Age: Origins, there are others, like Saints Row 2, that work better on consoles.

I am a bit tempted to get a PS3 now - and if i do it will be the first time bar the N64 that i've bought a current gen console

This is mainy to play adventure games like bioshock, fallout etc that are just as good on console, you can pick up and play without worrying about installing , and are probably more enjoyable in your sofa in front of a TV.

I never seem to get round to playing them on PC - and end up uninstalling to make space for other things.
For example i have hitman series on PC and Xbox 1 - and find it's more suited to console.

Online shooters are another matter - not interested thou that may be more about the quaility whats released than any predudice or objectiuon to controls
I see advantages to online console games like the level playing field of similar hardware and I presume less cheats.
I guess the console crowd like thier pads as my mate said ut3 supported mouse+key, but it is a filtered option for servers and most ppl stick with pad.
But it's as much about the lack of quality and inspiration tbh - i tried blackoops and found it very dull.

What would be interesting is to see the sales of other PC shooters (not niche like arma) , maybe games like crysis which are mainstream but recognised as pretty well done.

i mean, if a game gets poor PC sales compared to other platforms, do developers see that as a result of PC gamer's tastes changing, or a decline in players in general?
Do they recognise it as a 'protest' as such?
Can they that the expectations of PC gamers are higher without having to produce niche games - IE. put some efffort into it and you will get sales?
Do they lose any sleep about it at all? Probably not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a nice article on escapist about the topic. Nice read, Shamous Young has good points:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...xperienced-Points-The-Dumbification-of-Gaming

Interesting however why we could have no problems with games when we were young, but now games must be dump so people could play with it? I agree games should have different levels of difficulty but games shouldn't be simpler every next release. Here I never agree with explaining why Rainbow Six or Silent Hunter series were dumped down. Customer should know what is he buying, that it suppose to be tactical shooter or WWII submarine simulator, not an arcade shooter. Also what's an excuse to making poorly optimized ports from console w/o basic pc elements?

Anyway I have a tip to all of you: buy whatever you like, but get pc only games too. There are tons of great PC only games on market, which give you a lot of of entertainment, challenge and fun. Doing this you support pc only developers which still can develop great games for "hardcore PC gamers".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting however why we could have no problems with games when we were young, but now games must be dump so people could play with it?

I think that's because how games evolved. The first games were in the arcades, so thir purpose was to pull change out of the pockets of players. Thus, they were hard, so players would fail often to throw in a new coin. The first home console and PC games were clones of those arcade games, thus being difficult and punishing.
But as developers became more aware of how people can and do want to play games at home as opposed to how arcades work, there was a shift from a game as a challange to a game as a way to interactively tell a story, and what at first helped gaming, the difficulty, became a hinderance.

Upvote 0