• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ability to drive enemy transport vehicles

Normally it probably hardly ever happened. Although its an occurance that in roost would have been very handy. Especially on the bigger maps such as Arad where the infantry had to walk miles.

Although I guess indeed for recognition purposes its better to only have russians inside russian vehicles at least if you cannot see a players uniform on the outside.

Upvote 0
We don't have confirmation of any transports yet, or maps that'd require them. Would a russian soldier know how to drive a HT?

Makes for an interesting topic, for example a russian solder may not be able to drive a HT but he should certainly be able to get in it and fire it's MG etc...

2 troop carriers and 2 light tanks will be released soon after HoS premiere.

Even if soldiers cannot drive enemy vehicles, it would be interesting if soldiers could shot from inside of Sd.Kfz. 251 for example.

Driving enemy tank wont be possible I think, since player spawn and die inside his tank.

Upvote 0
Yeah but I meant confirmation of what they are.

Would your average soldier Russian have the know-how to drive the HT, and if he wouldn't - then it isn't good from a balance point of view to have German soldiers be able to "steal" the ZiS (if indeed that is the transport chosen for Russians).

Or we get balanced transporters: ZiS for Russians and Opel Blitz for Germans :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Situation 1: Enemy gets wily of your ideas and begins shooting transports of all kinds. Player succeeds in killing you, but TKs so god damn much now he gets booted from server (and in this case a loss in rank).

Situation 2: You succeed in sacking the transport. To avoid the tank fire you begin to move towards the Germans in hope of eluding your Russian foes. Too bad the shell that hit you was your own team's.

Like mentioned, it just creates too much friendly fire crap.

Upvote 0
You can steal the enemy trucks and jeeps/kubels in DH, and it doesn't lead to TOO many problems. There's no real reason why a German wouldn't be able to figure out how to drive a Gaz jeep or ZiS truck if they can drive a kubel or Blitz. Halftracks are a different story, but as others have said, it's reasonable that they should at least be able to man the MG.

With DH, the only real problem is that the other side can steal a vehicle, park it in thier spawn, and leave it there so it won't regenerate at the enemy spawn. That's a little gamey. Other than that it mostly works, and, as has been mentioned, often leads to hilarious friendly fire incidents.

Upvote 0
With DH, the only real problem is that the other side can steal a vehicle, park it in thier spawn, and leave it there so it won't regenerate at the enemy spawn. That's a little gamey. Other than that it mostly works, and, as has been mentioned, often leads to hilarious friendly fire incidents.

This. It's not a little, it's too much gamey.

Upvote 0
That is an exploit and is probably not intended in that way by the DH devs either :p

Yup, but I'm not criticizing DH. It would be more a logic strategy than a exploit, annoying and unbalancing, but not an exploit.

Maybe in real life (I don't know, I've never fought in a war) you would steal an enemy truck and risk yourself to escape from enemy lines, but in a game, with 2-3 trucks per team, it would be game breaking. The first thing that came to my mind when I read this thread's title, was exactly "well, if this is implemented, anyone would take enemy trucks to their own capzones to prevent them from spawning".
The funny thing is I almost never play DH, and didn't know you can actually do that there

Upvote 0
Yeah it's a downside of having tanks, HT's, trucks, etc. not auto-destruct when you walk away from them like in RO. A lot of DH's maps are larger, and it's actually worth it to take a vehicle, drive it to a certain point, dismount, do your thing, then come back and retrieve the vehicle.

It's actually pretty neat on tank maps, scout/AT teams can use jeeps to great effect.

Upvote 0
Would a russian soldier know how to drive a HT

Anyone who can drive a truck can drive a halftrack, they're purposely laid out the same control wise. That was the whole point of them, off-road capabilities of a tank and any old retard can drive it so they don't need to train every grunt.

However if a Russian peasant can drive a truck is a different matter :p it's not exactly rocket science though. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0