• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medics should be able to heal Berserker armor as health

PatPeter

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
The main problem I have with Berserkers is armor, health, and how they counteract the Berserker's role. Yes, level six Berserkers have a 25% damage resistance, but a berserker with no armor tends to, in my experience, die fairly quick on suicidal depending on the map and live teammates. If the player is good he or she can survive on hard, but it still returns to the main point of this thread.

Berserkers are front line units, and most of all, supposed to play as tanks, but they cannot because as soon as their armor depletes they become 10x easier to kill. Medics should have the ability to heal Berserker armor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
I would say to just give them one (and only one) of three things:

1. A buff to damage resistance. Simple, yet easiest to overpower.

2. More speed. Separates him from Zerdic and plays more to skill & situational awareness then a simple tank buff.

3. Allow him to buy two armor suits. My own idea, allows the Zerker to have an armor buff that doesn't SEEM like the Medic's armor buff (though functionally they're practically the same except the Zerker's costs more while the Medic's costs less). It would also still tie him to the team since it's still 200 points of regular armor, not the Medic's more-absorbent version.

Upvote 0
@Salad Snake
That seems like a good call, but it would cost quite a bit to upkeep not that it is usually of a problem since a berserker doesn't have to bother with ammo.
Seems like it would work out nicely with other berserker buffs.

As far as healable armor, it seems backwards to buy armor and exhaust it quite quickly on the front lines all the while not being able to heal. You effectively have 200 health but you can't start healing until you drop below 100. With most other classes, you will usually take a huge amount of damage or none at all since you generally don't engage specs directly unless they ninja or swarm your squad. A better way to fix that would be to have the berserker deplete his health first, then his armor and not die unless both were depleted. Unfortunately this would require a lot of code being changed and would effectively make the berserker immune from sirens once all their health was depleted.

Upvote 0
Knowing how good the Berserker was before the Chainsaw was nerfed, and with the likely fact its going to be brought back, I'ma say he doesn't need a boost in either resistance, health or armour.

The Berserker's skill comes from dodging specimen attacks and striking when the oppurtunity arrises. I used to play medic with the axe alot so making the swap to Berserker wasn't that hard for me. In any case the Berserker doesn't need more resistance. He is a wrecking machine, but is very hard to master. Players need to pick their moments carefully to ensure they don't get hit.

The Berserker when played properly does better than the medic, just because he HAS a damage resitance doesn't mean people should be using it. Its why these *Medic is better than Zerker" threads always make me laugh. Players can be more sloppy as a medic, but they can't outshine the Berserker as a crowd controller. The resistance is there to help him IF he makes a mistake, and allows him to get away with those mistakes more frequently than other classes. The principle however remains the same as it is with any other class. Strike fast, and avoid taking ANY damage.

Stepping in and chopping down 1 or 2 zeds then retreating and re-analysing is the best way to play, since you MUST be very alert of your surorundings. e.g. the chainsaw, while it slows the player down its primary fire "fends off" spemicens from cleanly getting an attack in. Especially in the case of clots and gorefasts it helps keep them at bay, and the only thing slowing it down is the headshot multiplyer.

Bottom line, the Zerker with the Chainsaw fix is going to be very powerful, and don't forget alot of the community is driving for everything else to be nerfed down to a certain level. IMO this change would deifnately make the Zerker not jsut a little overpowered, but massively overpowered.

Its a very hard class to master, like the Firebug, but once mastered it is a very valuable asset to the team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Salad Snake
That seems like a good call, but it would cost quite a bit to upkeep not that it is usually of a problem since a berserker doesn't have to bother with ammo.
Exactly, one of the reasons I suggested it was to make something that depletes a Zerker's money faster, since right now the Zerker is the monetarily "cost-effective" class, especially when played well. With my change, he will still be a money-maker if played well, but also will be more accessible, especially at lower levels. This will come at an increased cost to the user.

Knowing how good the Berserker was before the Chainsaw was nerfed, and with the likely fact its going to be brought back, I'ma say he doesn't need a boost in either resistance, health or armour.

The Berserker's skill comes from dodging specimen attacks and striking when the oppurtunity arrises. I used to play medic with the axe alot so making the swap to Berserker wasn't that hard for me. In any case the Berserker doesn't need more resistance. He is a wrecking machine, but is very hard to master. Players need to pick their moments carefully to ensure they don't get hit.

The Berserker when played properly does better than the medic, just because he HAS a damage resitance doesn't mean people should be using it. Its why these *Medic is better than Zerker" threads always make me laugh. Players can be more sloppy as a medic, but they can't outshine the Berserker as a crowd controller. The resistance is there to help him IF he makes a mistake, and allows him to get away with those mistakes more frequently than other classes. The principle however remains the same as it is with any other class. Strike fast, and avoid taking ANY damage.

Stepping in and chopping down 1 or 2 zeds then retreating and re-analysing is the best way to play, since you MUST be very alert of your surorundings. e.g. the chainsaw, while it slows the player down its primary fire "fends off" spemicens from cleanly getting an attack in. Especially in the case of clots and gorefasts it helps keep them at bay, and the only thing slowing it down is the headshot multiplyer.

Bottom line, the Zerker with the Chainsaw fix is going to be very powerful, and don't forget alot of the community is driving for everything else to be nerfed down to a certain level. IMO this change would deifnately make the Zerker not jsut a little overpowered, but massively overpowered.

Its a very hard class to master, like the Firebug, but once mastered it is a very valuable asset to the team.

I agree with many of your points. It's quite ironic, but despite the name Berserker is the thinking-man's perk.

Reactions: Undedd Jester
Upvote 0
I agree with many of your points. It's quite ironic, but despite the name Berserker is the thinking-man's perk.

:O you read my full post! Have a like :)

But yeah that pretty much sums up my point. Without wishing to offend anyone here, cause we all want to make KF better, alot of people seem to be angling to turn the Berserker into a perk that can mindlessly carve his way through ZED's.

The fact is he is a perk that requires alot of skill, but when mastered he is devastating.

Any player wanting to learn to play Zerker properly, try playing with just an axe as a level 2 medic for a few games, you'll quickly learn to dodge :)

Upvote 0