• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rootkit remover/revelear

Panzer Meyer

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005
North Cacilaci
In the past I've used GMER (rootkit revealer) and ComboFix, which is also fairly decent in detecting and removing rootkits.

However with ComboFix I noticed at times it will detect but not remove a rootkit, and it does not work on Windows 7.

GMER is one of the best in detecting rootkits, but it is still left to the user to remove them. I for one do not have the problem doing this, but at times when helping friends over the phone, I'd like to suggest something where I don't have to sit on the phone for an hour or more explaining what is what.

Googling anti-rootkit software is usually out of the question, as most of the time the links lead to rootkits themselves, or .exe which will install rootkits or other spyware on your PC.

So does anyone have any suggestions in free utilities/software for detecting and removing rootkits/spyware?

Thank you.

Adaware is available. Decent for being free, but not perfect, but if you have a slower older computer, it can really slow down some things.

If you are able to track down just what the rootkit is, many antivirus companies do have free removal programs. I have done that with several friends' computers I have helped fix.

Good luck, and I think I will suggest GMER and ComboFix to a friend who is having a problem.

Upvote 0
Adaware use to be a great program, not so much anymore. It misses a lot of threats that Malwarebytes or Combofix pick up. Spybot: Search and Destroy is a great tool as well.

Only problem with GMER, it is not automatic, it will show you what is infected, where, and so on, but you still have to remove it yourself. The problem there is, you get false positives, in the registry especially. So if someone who doesn't know much about computers, or the registry at all, they can potentially hose their PC.

Upvote 0
Well, whatever you do, don't get AntiSpyware Soft Platinum.

Last company I worked for, there was this one idiot that kept getting viruses on his computer. So the boss decided one day to look for a new AV solution, and after seeing all these pop-up ads for it, decided on AntiSpyware Soft Platinum. We had about 30 computers on site. Because it was company policy to only use legal and licensed software, the boss bought licences for every computer on site. Paid ~$80.00 apiece for them, IIRC. Then had the nerve to get pissed at -me- when I told him what ASSP actually was.

Good times. Good times.

Reactions: Oldih and Nimsky
Upvote 0
Well, whatever you do, don't get AntiSpyware Soft Platinum.

Last company I worked for, there was this one idiot that kept getting viruses on his computer. So the boss decided one day to look for a new AV solution, and after seeing all these pop-up ads for it, decided on AntiSpyware Soft Platinum. We had about 30 computers on site. Because it was company policy to only use legal and licensed software, the boss bought licences for every computer on site. Paid ~$80.00 apiece for them, IIRC. Then had the nerve to get pissed at -me- when I told him what ASSP actually was.

Good times. Good times.

I would laugh at the obvious fail there, but then i am reminded of all the times my parents have fallen for the false promises of rogue Anti-Spyware apps, and that i am the only one in my family who knows how to deal with it, and then i just feel tired, so very very tired..

Upvote 0
Adaware use to be a great program, not so much anymore. It misses a lot of threats that Malwarebytes or Combofix pick up. Spybot: Search and Destroy is a great tool as well.

I agree. Adaware is awful now, updating issues, runs slow, and bogs down my AMD 9950BE.

Malwayre bytes and Spybot are far better.

Spybot takes a while to load, but the scanner is super quick. If you run it frequently the scan time becomes even quicker. It scans my entire system (750GB or so) in 15 minutes.

As for the original question, I was recommended to use the following:

http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.htmlhttp://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html

I scanned with it once, found no issues though.

Then had the nerve to get pissed at -me- when I told him what ASSP actually was.

Good times. Good times.

Very common these days. I got it twice in the past 6 months. Easy to remove though. Just boot into safe mode, run Avira, Mbam, and Spybot. Run CC. Look in registry for any left overs.

Those should fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0