• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

American vs Japanese tactics.

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
I think Rising storm should feature more unique tactics, I think for most maps the Americans and Japanese shouldn't be evenly matched, since the Americans generally had more firepower, I'd like to see the Japanese either be dug in and entrenched, use ambush tactics, or suicidal Banzai attacks to compensate. Just like in real life depending on the battle.

In some ways the Eastern front was kind of balanced, as far as conventional fighting and the kind of equipment used by both sides, (they both had semi auto rifles and heavy tanks ETC) The Pacific was just different and I don't expect it it be like Stalingrad with jungles and different guns.

Last edited:
They should make it where the attackers (Americans) have unlimited reinforcements whereas the Japanese would only get one life per person but be dug in.

Or maybe for a map like Iwo Jima whenever the American take a part of the island the map changes to another part of the island all the way up until the end when they put up the flag.

Upvote 0
"...all the way up until the end when they put up the flag."

Or all die in their foxholes. The difference is more than just tactics. It's a mindset. You cannot implement a mindset however. Giving Japanese soldier a longer bleed out time where they can Banzai charge with swords or bayonets would be interesting, or pull out a grenade and arm it while they jump into an American foxhole.

The Americans Garand is also a big advantage, and their armored vehicles, if they are implemented. The Japs have traps, mines, ambush opportunities though so hopefully that should help make it realistic and interesting but also fair in a non conventional way.

Upvote 0
"...all the way up until the end when they put up the flag."

Or all die in their foxholes. The difference is more than just tactics. It's a mindset. You cannot implement a mindset however. Giving Japanese soldier a longer bleed out time where they can Banzai charge with swords or bayonets would be interesting, or pull out a grenade and arm it while they jump into an American foxhole.

The Americans Garand is also a big advantage, and their armored vehicles, if they are implemented. The Japs have traps, mines, ambush opportunities though so hopefully that should help make it realistic and interesting but also fair in a non conventional way.

RO2 is having a morale system, I don't think the Japanese should get bonuses for banzai charges though, too gamey, they're defensive poistions should make up for the Americans superior weaponry/tanks/supplies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't say they didn't, the point is that Japanese soldiers believed that victory was more important than staying alive, so they purposefully used tactics where they knew they would be killed but they would kill the enemy as well. American soldiers would be more inclined to live, and American soldiers also weren't defending their sacred or imperial islands.

Upvote 0
I didn't say they didn't, the point is that Japanese soldiers believed that victory was more important than staying alive, so they purposefully used tactics where they knew they would be killed but they would kill the enemy as well. American soldiers would be more inclined to live, and American soldiers also weren't defending their sacred or imperial islands.

I see, but howdo we convince players to play suicidally as Japanese and more cautious as Americans?

Upvote 0
By adding that 'bonus'.

Another thing could be the Japanese limited amount of supplies and firepower, I mean having less ammo or not being able to heal wounds would inspire more "suicidal" tactics.

This should depend on the battle though, but the different tactics could inspire teamwork, for example maybe there could be a supply system, similar to reinforcements but with dwindling supplies as the battle rages on, maybe when the Japanese run out of ammo everyone would want to charge together, and for the Americans having to deal with a human wave would inspire coordination rather than spreading out.

Upvote 0
Or maybe for a map like Iwo Jima whenever the American take a part of the island the map changes to another part of the island all the way up until the end when they put up the flag.

The battle still went on after they put up the flag IIRC.

As for the tactics, Japanese islands had a good defensive system built up over the years. For attacking, maybe they[Many Japanese Soldiers] could receive morale boosts considering their ideology was different than that of the average westerner. Service to the Emperor and Japan > One's life.

Upvote 0
The battle still went on after they put up the flag IIRC.

As for the tactics, Japanese islands had a good defensive system built up over the years. For attacking, maybe they[Many Japanese Soldiers] could receive morale boosts considering their ideology was different than that of the average westerner. Service to the Emperor and Japan > One's life.

Its not like the Americans were a bunch of selfish cowards while the Japanese were all blindly devoted to their emperor.

Last edited:
Reactions: slavek and Redit
Upvote 0
Its not like the Americans were a bunch of selfish cowards while the Japanese were all blindly devoted to their emperor.

I never stated that Americans were a bunch of cowards. However many Japanese soldiers were taught that it was dishonorable to surrender. Therefore many fought to the death while the average American may not go that far unless to save a fellow comrade or in dire situations when other choices were not an option.

Not saying Americans prefer surrender either considering the cruelty displayed by many Japanese but the mindset between the two forces was different.

Reactions: Redit
Upvote 0
I never stated that Americans were a bunch of cowards. However many Japanese soldiers were taught that it was dishonorable to surrender. Therefore many fought to the death while the average American may not go that far unless to save a fellow comrade or in dire situations when other choices were not an option.

Not saying Americans prefer surrender either considering the cruelty displayed by many Japanese but the mindset between the two forces was different.

Yeah thats true.

Reactions: slavek and Redit
Upvote 0