• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Manual bolting?

Poerisija

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
Is it gone? The video with scoped rifle shows near-instant bolting after shot has been fired. Did he just click again instantly or is manual bolting gone?

:-((

Edit: apparently it's toggle-able. Good to know.

Other concern though is bolting speed could be slightly too fast?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Galslacht said:
No. Compared to real life, some of the animations, especially the switching of the distances on the weapons, look all too cheap and arcady too me.

The dialling of range has been discussed a lot in other threads. Use the search. No one has said that any of the animations we've seen are final, either first or third person. However I see no problems with them...

HerrPorsche said:
I just hope that they keep the reload times to what they have in RO. With realistic reload times the game play will be more fluid IMO. However, maybe these are settings that each server can set? Now that would be interesting.

The k98 reload (for example) was far too slow in RO, as they made it identical to the MN reload for the sake of balance.

The Mosin reload was apparently more awkward, so to get the rounds into the rifle instead of just pushing down on base of the first round like with the k98, you hold the head of the first round, and push down on the back of it - this made it slightly slower.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The animations in nearly every game are too fast than is realistic. Rarely have I seen a game actually take into account all the necessary steps to complete an action. Switching weapons for example, involves more than simply lowering your weapon out of view and then pulling out a new one out of thin air. Ever think about where exactly that machinegunner puts his MG when he switches to pistol?

But it's a necessary compromise to facilitate fast paced gameplay and waiting a long time for an animation to play is no fun for the player.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The animations in nearly every game are too fast than is realistic. Rarely have I seen a game actually take into account all the necessary steps to complete an action. Switching weapons for example, involves more than simply lowering your weapon out of view and then pulling out a new one out of thin air. Ever think about where exactly that machinegunner puts his MG when he switches to pistol?

But it's a necessary compromise to facilitate fast paced gameplay and waiting a long time for an animation to play is no fun for the player.

Slow reload times are annoying too, though. Generally speaking, reload times should be fast, but not too fast. Same thing goes for weapon switching. I imagine soldiers tried to reload or switch weapons as fast as they could if they were in a tight spot.

Determining weapon switch and reload times would not be difficult, just take the real weapons and do it over and over again, and take the average amount of seconds it took and adjust the speed of the animations to those times.

Upvote 0

This!
I'm all for longer reload times with rifles and smg's and much longer weapon switch times with pistols.

But as you say, its a compromise. At least TWI incorporates some delay! I'm grateful for that.

Upvote 0

QFT

"Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters"

Upvote 0
You still have to open (and possibly close) an ammo pouch, fish for a fresh clip or mag, and stuff it in your gun.

Shall we take some other potential variables into account aswell, like how new the pouch is, how wet they are, are you in bad position to open it, how cold\warm it is, do you have any cuts in your fingers, how long your fingernails are etc? If yes, we could end up with over 30 second reload time for a rifle which is justified in the name of realism if things are truly FUBAR :p

I wouldn't mind that actually but I am very positive others would.

Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0