• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firing your weapon during a wet/tactical reload

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
Was playing in GRAW 2 yesterday, and was reminded of a feature that I think is unique to the game.

And that is firing your gun during a wet/tactical reload, when your magazine is out of your gun.

Have you ever played a game where you were reloading, and someone popped around the corner in your face? Instead of waiting to finish reloading, or unrealistically "quick switching" to some other weapon (CoD/CS knives), why not pull the trigger if you have a round in the chamber? Both realistic (I've shot an AK without a mag in the gun) and for less of those awkward moments that happen in all shooters.

Of course, you won't be able to use the sights or aim the gun, but if someone is within 5 feet of you, your chances of hitting your target can be pretty big.

And this won't work with some weapons obviously.

And if it is added in, the proper reload animations would have to be made if required.

An example of this is at 30 seconds:
YouTube - GRAW 2 Armory (custom mod)

I just think it is a better solution than just waiting around to finish reloading... which just looks odd.

Not very important, just something I thought would be worth discussing.

Last edited:
Well I'm sure we'll have people giving support, too. It's a good idea but it's something that seems like it would have been advised against, and I personally wouldn't find the use for it.

I'm the same person who doesn't want people to be able to incrementally reload ("top-off") a weapon that uses stripper clips, though, so you can tell where I come from on these sorts of things. :p

Upvote 0
I'd personally like to stay as far away from modern "tactics" as possible.

If that's the case, then you must admit this is a good idea...

Because firing a weapon with a single round in the chamber and no magazine is about as old school as it gets.

Back in the day, they fired weapons like these:

orig.jpg

Or the original Mauser Gewehr rifle, both of which merely used the bolt action to open the chamber for quick reloading....there was no internal magazine in the firearm.

I'm entirely in favor of this. In case some of you are not aware, if you take a firearm like the G43 in Ost Front, and reload at spawn, you will have 11 rounds, aka 10 in the mag plus one in the chamber. Likewise if you reload after inserting a fresh mag and watching your avatar cock the bolt handle.

It's simply a realistic feature. Nothing tactical about it. It's something used in absolute desperation, and it's something that's merely a reality of the mechanics and the physics behind a weapon.

Upvote 0
I think the question originally meant, "can you interrupt your reload sequence and fire without completely reloading the magazine". This would be for bolt actions only and I believe that answer is yes.

Nice to see that answer, but it's not the right answer for that subject.

Regarding the OP's suggestion.

Weapons that are ingame and could have this feature:

SVT40
AVT40
TT33
P08
P38
Mkb.42
G41
(Mp38/40 and PPsH fire from an open bolt and therefore can't do this)
I don't think it would be worth implementing tbh.

Upvote 0
I think the question originally meant, "can you interrupt your reload sequence and fire without completely reloading the magazine". This would be for bolt actions only and I believe that answer is yes.

No he meant firing during a reload. Roost got the ability to do a tactical reload with an automatic weapon what this means is that when there is a bullet already in the chamber you can swap the magazine with a new one without needing to cock the lever of the weapon.

But meaning that there is actually a bullet in the chamber, then that means that your weapon can fire that one bullet. Meaning that if you get assaulted while reloading. You can quickly shoulder the weapon and fire that one bullet you still had in the chamber.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

To clarify:

Say you have an MP40, and you are reloading before it runs dry. Bad guy pops around corner and gets in your face.

As of now, you have no mag in the MP40, but have one in the chamber. Your gun is still tilted/pointed up a bit, but you can pull the trigger.

Watch at 30 seconds in:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILwnUfwiaUA]YouTube - GRAW 2 Armory (custom mod)[/URL]

Upvote 0
To clarify:

Say you have an MP40, and you are reloading before it runs dry. Bad guy pops around corner and gets in your face.

As of now, you have no mag in the MP40, but have one in the chamber.

Impossible, as all SMG:s fire from open bolt. There never is cartridge in the chamber of any SMG, but a millisecond before the "detonation". Without magazine, SMG:s are useless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's simply a realistic feature. Nothing tactical about it. It's something used in absolute desperation, and it's something that's merely a reality of the mechanics and the physics behind a weapon.

Save the lecture, I know what he's referring to. To me these things should stay filed under "Features that are Realistic Yet Rare and Impractical for Gameplay Reasons" along with other famous suggestions like being able to punch/kick people or load different types of ammunition.

Upvote 0
Ah thank's for reminding me. :)
I rememberd that the MP43/44 used a roller system similar to the MG42 but forgot that the Mkb.42 used a different system.

Both used the same Bolt System(tilting bolt)... they redesigned only the open Bolt(Mkb42) to a Closed Bolt(MP43) System.

Tilting Bolt:
http://www.waffeninfo.net/verschluss/kippblock.php[url]http://www.waffeninfo.net/verschluss/kippblock.php[/URL]

That's a really good idea actually. No more getting caught with your pants down when you're reloading. I wonder if the Mkb 42 fired from the open bolt on semi auto?

Yes... Open Bolt on Semi and Full Auto.

Upvote 0