• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How should bandaging work?

How should bandaging work?

• Instant Heal

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • A few seconds

Votes: 77 30.9%
  • 10-15 seconds

Votes: 134 53.8%
  • 30 seconds or longer

Votes: 31 12.4%
  • Faster the closer you are to the squad leader

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters

Britney Federline

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Now that we've seen video of RO:HOS gameplay that shows the bandaging system, how do you think it should work?

Should it be instant?
Should it take a few seconds?
Should it take 15-30 seconds, or more?
Should it go quicker if you're near a squad leader or teammates?
Should you even be able to bandage yourself, or just teammates?

Last edited:
Reactions: slavek
I think the player should worry about finding cover before bandading himself, otherwise we'll have a lot of morons bandaging themselves in the open while taking fire. It should at least take more time than reloading a weapon.

This.

10 or more seconds.

Keep the game realistic. It is impossible to apply a bandage to a wound in 2 seconds, and it won't make you "all better" in that amount of time.

No, we don't need it to be super detailed... but just make it take longer so that players will run to cover, then bandage, and not just stop in the open and apply it quickly.

If you can bandage yourself so quickly, why bother adding it in the first place?

Upvote 0
IMO bandaging should take between 15 and 30 seconds.
Just "stop" the death timer while bandaging.

Thought I just had:

Bleeding time should be variable between 2 minutes and 15 seconds, bandaging time should be variable between 15 and 30 seconds, all depending on the amount and location of hits.

This would enable players to get into cover and patch themselves up but disable the possibility to do near instantaneous bandaging as seen in the vids.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After raising the flag on this in another thread I've had more time to think about it, and I certainly hope it can be optioned off for realism.

If a wound is severe enough to lead to "bleed out", you need a tourniquet applied (a compression bandage). What I think we're understanding as bandaging as shown in the Gamescon video, is applying a wound dressing.

Tourniquets would take some time to apply, and maybe require additional help. Dressings to cover the wound area, to prevent infection (?), not really a game changer, and in the heat of an actual firefight who would take the time?

Upvote 0
10 seconds is long enough to die.....

IN the vid there is a small interuption maybe 2-3 seconds and a little sound I think.

If a wound is severe enough to have you bleed out in 10 seconds, then bandaging it ain't going to help.

I think it should definitely take something like 15 seconds or so. more if the wound is severe. Interruptable of course in case you are surprised. You might say "Oh well then it's just quicker to die and respawn!", which is a somewhat valid criticism for Territory mode, but not for Countdown, where you only get one life. Even in Territory you have to worry about reinforcements. Again, if we're going to have a complex damage system where you can get lung shot or bleed out from an adominal wound, it makes little sense to throw in gamey "quick bandaging".

Upvote 0
This is ridiculous. Average Joe probably won't live more than 2 minutes and some people here suggest 30sec for bandaging :rolleyes:

This does make sense. I'm sure in real life it would take some time to bandage someone, but considering the wait to respawn time, the time to run to the battle and then the time to bandage oneself, that could result in alot of downtime for players.

I will now say no more than 10 seconds. That would be noticable and result in a little down time without being something really quick and gamey.

Perhaps it could go a little quicker with the help of a teammate and that would also encourage (not force) teamplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  1. Stop dead in your tracks
  2. Crouch
  3. A generic first & third person bandaging animation plays for 10 - 15 seconds
  4. Done. You can fight on, but you also get penalties because you got shot and you're still in pain: you get more sway, you can't sprint as fast, bringing up the sights takes a bit longer and perhaps reloading as well.

Not every soldier is a medic either. I picture the act of bandaging to be a simple wrapping and tying-off to stop immediate blood spewing. Nothing overly professional.

This. If "it's just a flesh wound" it should be bandagable, but if a rifleman shoots you in the stomach I don't think it's possible to fight on for longer than a couple of seconds...

I do hope that 90% of rifle and machine gun hits kill instantly, just like it currently is.

IMO they should limit the amount of bandages a soldier carries to only one per life. Maybe two. And encourage teamwork by adding the ability to bandage your teammate (which is faster than bandaging yourself).

Last edited:
Upvote 0