• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade Impact/Awareness thread [Merged]

The latter. By grenade awareness I'm referring to grenades making a noise as they land.

Forgive me if I'm skeptical, but I doubt that most players notice a sound from the grenades, given how many more grenade kills there are in RO compared to DH...

Either way, I really hope the devs will make sure that RO:HoS isn't a boring nadefast as standard RO. I for one will likely not buy RO:HoS unless there's a decent nade awareness until a patch or mod is released correcting the issue.
hve to make to get rid of my posts needing admin approval?

Well, perhaps I have a little better hearing than most, but I have no problem with turning the volume up on it a little bit. Also, I'd say that much of the nadespam problem has to do with too many players on too small of a map. Ostfront's maps weren't originally designed to accommodate 50+ players; while the it seems like HoS's maps are being designed with 64 players in mind.

Upvote 0
Also, I'd say that much of the nadespam problem has to do with too many players on too small of a map.

I think nadespam happens in RO because:

- 2 nades per dude is just too many. (seems like they changed this to 1 per dude in HOS, based on the character selection parts shown in the vids, which is great!)
- Nades are very accurate and fast to use.
- Nades can be thrown huge distances.

I don't want OFP style nade throwing(it is more realistic but doesn't fit RO style combat), but nerfing the throwing distance and decreasing the amount of nades from 2 to 1 might just do the trick.

Upvote 0
yeah that's true, danzig for 50 ppl? no way!

yes, lemon, i know, i just wanted to point that out, coz such indicators are ridiculous.
and the weapon pick up system in RO is ok, its logical that u have to take each nade, the ammo package and the weapon itself, this is realistic imo.

nevertheless i know about the issue that sometimes the weapon is lying beyond the nade so u cant grab this or that, or u cant pick up anything.
but this is bad luck or/and buggy.

Upvote 0
Very good idea. Whether there is a grenade impact sound or not will likely determine whether I buy RO:HoS or not. The nadefest that is standard RO is simply unplayable because of the lack of grenade awareness IMHO.
In all fairness, nadefests aren't "standard" in RO, imo. Perhaps on Danzig or Lyeskrovy (or other small maps played with large numbers of people).

And apparently, there are those that hear grenades much better than others. I know I don't hear them, but I know guys I play with that hear them quite well. Hopefully, this can be addressed in RO:HoS.

Upvote 0
and this brings me to the question:

will we hear a PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNGGG sound for a few seconds if a nade explode very near but doesnt kill you?

I think thats realistic. (Delta Force game had it in, too)
Please god no. I hear it every second of my life and I don't want anything additional PZIIIIIIIIING while I play my favourite game. If you'd want it realistic, you'd get muffled hearing and a PZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING for the rest of the soldier's life after a grenade has went off nearby.

I might actually not buy the game if the sound is there, I'd hate playing without sounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In all fairness, nadefests aren't "standard" in RO, imo. Perhaps on Danzig or Lyeskrovy (or other small maps played with large numbers of people).

I don't think map size has that much to do with it, althought it aggravates the problem. When I played RO I died in situations where I would normally in DH easily have avoided the grenade thanks to the soft landing sound. I also killed far more with grenades than I would usually do in DH.

All in all, I would estimate that 35-40% of my kills and deaths alike were "thanks" to grenades on one of the urban maps I played. Space was not an issue on the map; it would on the contrary have been easy to dodge the grenades had I actually heard them. Anyways, when grenades are responsible for such a disproportionate amount of the killing, I think it is a major gameplay problem, and I hope that RO:HoS will not suffer from that flaw.

Upvote 0