• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

UT3 worth buying?

Don't waste your time or money, even at it's height, there was never enough players, and things have only gotten worse, it's allmost entirely dead now (there are more people playing Vietcong! lots more!), the modscene hasen't really gone anywhere for it, there's a couple of mods, but nothing you can't live without, and nobody plays them, and the game isen't really worth playing offline against bots either, because they completaly undermined that part of the game, it badly lacks all the botmach options the previous UT's had, and the AI isen't as good (the bots are either retarded, or cheating hax0rz, there's no middle ground).
Oh, and there's no garuentee it will even run on your system, it never has on mine and many others, and Epic has refused to look into the problems.

Upvote 0
there are people playing but not so many - the game is fine, very good infact but obviously tastes have changed and games like this don't draw such a crowd online.

so i would say not for that money tbh better ways to spend it - but i have been very lucky myself with ut3 ....

I got the limited edition black tin cased boxed one with artbook+UE video a year ago for less than half what you're talking about - and just yesterday i got the standard version - unregestered on steam - for less than the price of a replacement dvd case...unbelievable.

so the money you're talking obviously seems a lot to me.

Upvote 0
there are people playing but not so many - the game is fine, very good infact but obviously tastes have changed and games like this don't draw such a crowd online.

Nope, that's not really it, the game was not well recived (and that's putting it mildly! about half the community hated it outright) by the UT community, a community chock full of people who still love this kind of game and where more than ready for a new UT at that point.. it wasen't lack of interest in the genre that killed it for so many of thease guys (myself included), it was the game, and all that was broken about it, or taken away from it.

Upvote 0
i thought it was alright - for me it played more like ut99 than 2k3/2k4

i dunno about broken stuff - i just remember ppl complaining that the menu looked simplistic and didn't have certain graphics options, but i believe you if you say it was slated for other issues.

Anyway, the reason i personally didn't really get into it was because after no more than 20 mins of play the fun would wear off as i realised i was just going through the motions and didn't get satisfaction from that kind of shooter anymore.

The game may have been bad itself - phaps i didn't give it enough time to find out - but i do believe that changing tastes of fps players must be a factor - are there still ppl crying out for fantasy deathmatch?

Upvote 0
People still play but it's usually 1 or 2 servers on Warfare.

On godawful custom maps.

Would probably do your wallet good to just find something else. They did improve the game vastly with updates but the lack of population is hurting it bad. I think it would be much better if more people DID play it now. Titan mode is pretty fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i thought it was alright - for me it played more like ut99 than 2k3/2k4

i dunno about broken stuff - i just remember ppl complaining that the menu looked simplistic and didn't have certain graphics options, but i believe you if you say it was slated for other issues.

Anyway, the reason i personally didn't really get into it was because after no more than 20 mins of play the fun would wear off as i realised i was just going through the motions and didn't get satisfaction from that kind of shooter anymore.

The problem was never really the gameplay, i think most people will agree that this part of the game was just fine, the real problem was that it was half-finished, kicked out the door with only the bare essentials needed to release it, stripped of the polish and all the groovy extras that we knew and loved from the older games, and that it was a flawed premise, UT was allways about wacky fun, but here they where trying to convince us that we should take it seriously, that we where figting a war with glowstick guns that do no real damage in drab and boring surroundings.. they obviously wanted to rope in the GoW players with this one, but did nothing of the sort, and just cheesed off the UT fans instead.

But to me, the biggest flaw with this game was that they put so many limits on it, allmost all the options to customize the game, both in looks and its gameplay, where gone, the old UT's you could tinker with to no end, you could set up matches in so many different ways (and so many more with some handy mutators), and they had a lot of variety, all kinds of crazy maps and themes and player models, allmost anyone could find something they liked out of the bunch and set up a game accordingly.. not so with UT3, it was a "take it or leave it" deal, with allmost no options to play around with, barely anything that could be customized, and all the maps and models conformed to a central theme (that was both dull and a bad fit for this kind of game), and thease limits even extended to it's mod support, with poor support for new models, voices and no way to customize mutators from the menu, it was a lot harder for mods to change the game without having to make an entire Total-Conversion mod to do so.
The game just wasen't flexible like the old ones, so if it's narrow theme wasen't your cup of tea, you where up the creek.

The game may have been bad itself - phaps i didn't give it enough time to find out - but i do believe that changing tastes of fps players must be a factor - are there still ppl crying out for fantasy deathmatch?

It was obviously never going to have the popularity of games like "CoD: Modern Warfare" which was released at that time aswell, no, clearly not, this genre has become much more niche today than it was in the late 90's, but theres nothing wrong with niche, TWI makes niche games and that's why we love them, and likewise, there still exists a large group of people who want a good Sci-Fi twitch shooter, people who today are playing Warsow and Quake-live, and there where plenty of people who where very much looking forward to UT3.

But then the game came out, and half the fanbase for the title said "what the hell is this rubbish!? how could they have messed it up this badly?", and the other half said "i'm sure they will fix it.. lets just play it", but it wasen't fixed, the players who where not impressed didn't play, and the rest stoped playing too because there where never enough players to make it worthwhile, leaving behind only a tiny hard core of dedicated players, barely enough to keep 2 Warfare servers alive.

Niche games are fine, but you'd best make a game your niche market wants to play, or it's just not going to happen.. and that's UT3 for you, a niche game that failed to appeal to it's niche, not so much because it didn't play ok, but because it did not deliver what was promised, it was buggy, cumbersome, seemed half-hearted and half-done, it was too big a departure from the established theme in a vain attempt to draw in another fanbase who didn't care, lacked variety and polish, it didn't get the post-release support it so desperately needed, and even it's mod support was not good enough making it too hard for the fanbase to correct the problems (the toolkit itself is fine, but trying to incorporate your mod into the narrow structure of the game is a huge ordeal).

Upvote 0
Oh ok.

Also, this is unrelated to UT/UE, but does anyone know if there are already some playable mods/missions(that are really worth it tho) for Crysis / Crysis Warhead? I really wanna play something with awesome graphics atm(or at least explore something with interesting architecture, there were lots of artistically incredibly awesome CSS maps that really pushed source engine and were fun to explore)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about mods for Crysis, But I have both, and they pack the Cryengine 2 editor aswell, fun to play around with, it's essentially Gmod as the delay between the editor and testing is like 5 seconds.

As for UT3, I have it on PC and PS3, and it is horrible.
Mainly because of the netcode.
Even at 50ms ping, it is horribly laggy, noticable mostly with the Link gun and Shock rifle, same on PS3, yet servers would show 70ms but fly to 400 ingame. On pc NO ONE plays it for COOP, but there are about 3-4 servers up for CTF.

TL;DR answer
It's about as Popular as KFmod.

Upvote 0