• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mafia II - Megathread

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
I also don't like the fuel-tank weak spot thing, but it won't screw with the whole game IMO. Having MG42, MP-40, Kar98, Beretta 38 SMG, M1 Garand, Thompson M1A1, M3A1 Grease Gun and C96 in the game compensate this feature :D

Eh, i've never felt the selection of guns mattered much in third person shooters, i've allways felt too distanced from them anyway in that perspective, it's only in first person they become very important to me.

Don't get me wrong, obviously a game like this one demands period correct guns, it'd be silly if you found an XM8 in the 1950's, what i mean is that i don't feel connected to them, and thus, they would not be a selling point for me.

Upvote 0
Eh, i've never felt the selection of guns mattered much in third person shooters, i've allways felt too distanced from them anyway in that perspective, it's only in first person they become very important to me.

Don't get me wrong, obviously a game like this one demands period correct guns, it'd be silly if you found an XM8 in the 1950's, what i mean is that i don't feel connected to them, and thus, they would not be a selling point for me.
it would be silly to find a xm8 in any game :p

Upvote 0
It's been in a fair few games allready, and in a bunch of mods.

For some reason, many people are drawn to thease silly Fisher-Price plastic guns, i've never understood the appeal myself..
Yeah I know, BC2 for example(in SP it's even your teams 'primary' weapon :rolleyes:). Not only does the gun look ugly and I hate it but it's a failed prototype, so why include it anywhere at all?

Upvote 0
Not that it's a bad thing either, the first Mafia was fairly unknown. I'm confident that they sugar coated the experience enough to draw new people into their storytelling.

How's that not a bad thing from our perspective? i can see how it would be benifitial from theirs (more monies! yay!), but for the rest of us, pandering to the lowest common denominator just means we can't have nice things, because the 'tards might not "get" it, more cookie cutter mediocrity for the masses, woo bloody hoo :rolleyes:

Mind you, i'm not saying exploding gastanks equals a game for idiots, that would be grossly over-reacting, but i've seen far to many games go from "Wow!" to "is this a joke?" in the spirit of milking them dry, so i felt like venting a bit.

Upvote 0
You were expecting better than this?

mafia22010-08-1012-12-c6di.png

tUGdL.gif

You have some pretty ridiculous expectations.

That sucked!

Upvote 0
Mafia II is fascinating, not in spite of its innumerable mistakes but because of them. It's the ultimate example of a game designed to look nice in television commercials and achieve nothing else. There are so many vestigial features I haven't even mentioned - the nudie-mag collectibles, a superfluous lock-picking mini-game, the irrelevant money system. It's dysfunctional. In my head, I keep turning its twisted corpse over with mordant intrigue. How did this happen?

Daaaaaaamn. Eurogamer completely trashed it. I still had fun in the demo and there's the possibility of mods. Maybe these reviews will at least make the price drop faster.

Upvote 0
Was anyone praising the first game for doing anything groundbreaking, either?
Aside from having a mature, top-quality story that almost ascends past the "for a video game" qualifier, which is groundbreaking enough for me, it was also a realistic version of GTA - and that was when the GTA-clone market wasn't as saturated as it is now.

Now GTA itself has become pretty damn realistic and Mafia II doesn't seem to do much to advance the genre, besides the visuals.
I haven't even played the demo yet though, so I'm a poor judge when it comes to Mafia II. Just pointing out what made Mafia I special.

Upvote 0
Mafia II is fascinating, not in spite of its innumerable mistakes but because of them. It's the ultimate example of a game designed to look nice in television commercials and achieve nothing else. There are so many vestigial features I haven't even mentioned - the nudie-mag collectibles, a superfluous lock-picking mini-game, the irrelevant money system. It's dysfunctional. In my head, I keep turning its twisted corpse over with mordant intrigue. How did this happen?

Consoles happened

Upvote 0
Aside from having a mature, top-quality story that almost ascends past the "for a video game" qualifier, which is groundbreaking enough for me, it was also a realistic version of GTA - and that was when the GTA-clone market wasn't as saturated as it is now.

Now GTA itself has become pretty damn realistic and Mafia II doesn't seem to do much to advance the genre, besides the visuals.
I haven't even played the demo yet though, so I'm a poor judge when it comes to Mafia II. Just pointing out what made Mafia I special.

Thing is you're reading a review (Eurogamer's) from a group of people who didn't even enjoy the first Mafia game, and expect it to be GTA 5 with all the bells and whistles.

I can't judge personally since I've only played the demo as well, but a lot of the negativity seems to be coming from people who weigh this game on its sandbox qualities (or expected lack thereof).

Upvote 0
Thing is you're reading a review (Eurogamer's) from a group of people who didn't even enjoy the first Mafia game, and expect it to be GTA 5 with all the bells and whistles.

I can't judge personally since I've only played the demo as well, but a lot of the negativity seems to be coming from people who weigh this game on its sandbox qualities (or expected lack thereof).

Lots of people aren't too impressed with the story either though. They say the characters are wooden, particularly Vito the main character, and its only about 10 hours long with a crappy ending. So to balance that out you need a good free roam or mp, which it doesn't have. It's looking like a good $25 or less game at this point.

Upvote 0
GTA IV is fascinating, not in spite of its innumerable mistakes but because of them. It's the ultimate example of a game designed to look nice in television commercials and achieve nothing else. There are so many vestigial features I haven't even mentioned - the pigeon shooting, a superfluous taxi mini-game, the irrelevant money system. It's dysfunctional. In my head, I keep turning its twisted corpse over with mordant intrigue. How did this happen?

Paid reviews happened

GTA IV scored 10/10

Reactions: Oldih and PNV
Upvote 0
I have played about four hours of it now.

I bought the Deluxe version; I only had the original Mafia XBOX version, and most reviewers thought the PC version was much better than the console, so I took advantage of the STEAM deal, got Mafia (which is around $21.00 new on Amazon.com) and Mafia II, plus the downloadable content (map, story book, two cars, clothes, all of which, except for the tuxedo, I am unable to find:confused:; well, I haven't figured where it is yet, but the stuff just doesn't pop up immediately).

I don't think you really need the extra content; having your character (who is from a working class family and neighborhood) wearing a tuxedo in the streets is being way overdressed, even in the 1940s, and you're not going to the Metropolitan Opera; I just have him wear the Leather Jacket. I haven't learned the names of any of the Mafia families after four hours, so, unless you just want some more game character history and story information, the 100 page book won't probably help you play the game in any way.

I would call this game more of a movie / video game combo.

Unlike the first game (which I've played for about two hours or so), the cut scenes take up a lot of the game. There's some heavy action at the beginning, but the game doesn't really get going until about 45 minutes into the game.

So, there's a good 30-35 minutes of cut scenes during the first 45 minutes, but these scenes tell the story of the Sicilian-American immigrant experience and are naturally part and parcel of what is going on in the game, but it is different from the first game where they had an introductory cut scene, and then you played the game for about 20 minutes, and then you advanced to the next chapter.

In Mafia II, cut scenes will introduce the next chapter, but will also appear in order to advance the story while you are playing the game. For instance, if you are pulling a heist, and you move from one building to another, a cut scene will appear, and Joe (your Mafia buddy) will start talking to you.

So, the cut scenes are embedded into the game, while in the original Mafia, they were used only as introductions.

So, it's more of a movie and a game combo, in my opinion.

But they are very well acted cut scenes; Mafia II is full of colorful characters, with Hollywood level acting throughout. Your character, Vito, is a level headed, Everyman type character; I don't think he is a wooden character, but he isn't a character like Sonny from the Godfather. Vito's friend, Joe, acts and says all the stuff you would think a Mafia made man would say.

It looks like the people who researched this did an above average, almost excellent job. Empire City looks great (it looks real and the urban environment and characters are not arcade or cartoony looking as they were in EA' s Godfather game). You really feel like you are in 1940s America; the non player characters you meet on the street, except at the beginning of the game, do not say much beyond maybe a flippant remark, but occassionally you'll hear some conversations, and the makers of the game have captured the accents and street lingo of American English that you may have encountered in an American city in the 1940s (language is a key component of any game, and I think is often overlooked in most games).

The city looks very real, and I would say is probably the best simulated urban environment I have seen in a video game. There are three radio channels you can listen to while you are driving from place to place (basically one is the Hit Parade from the 1940s, another is music from the 1920-30s, and then an African-American Blues station; all with news updates), and all of this really draws you into the environment of the game.

However, nothing is perfect and there are some problems. Beyond the main hangout in Little Italy: Freddy's Bar, and Gun stores, Gas stations, and Mechanic's shops, you can't visit any of the hundreds of stores in the city. It is all just storefronts, so even if it says it is a bar or a hotel, you cannot go in.

So, it is similar to the first Mafia game in that regard.

You will see some of the same WWII propaganda posters and a few of the same shop signs (just a few) used over throughout the city. If I had made the game, I would have made everything different.

The embedded cut scenes while you're playing are a mixed bag; in some ways I feel it would have been better if the developers would let the player figure out how to escape certain situations, but the cut scenes do advance the story, and I have played games like Far Cry 2, which is a great game, but it just seems to go on and on forever, and even though you accomplish all of the assigned tasks, the story doesn't advance.

I would give it the following:

Urban Atmosphere / Setting: 9.5

Character Acting: 10

Gameplay: 8 (this includes the totality of all factors, the Urban setting, the Character Acting, and the gameplay).

Music: 9.5 (I wished they had thrown in a few of the more obscurer, but good songs from the 1940s; maybe some Duke Ellington too, if they could get copyright permission).

Overall Score: 8.5 (8 for the Gameplay (you mainly you drive around and do some "jobs" which start with basic crimes and then advance to more complicated crimes.

I added the .5 for the all the research that was put into it ( the language, music, the atmosphere).

The lockpicking that has been talked about is not difficult, and criminals do pick locks.

The cops aren't that bad; you can speed, and I haven't had them pull me over (unlike the first game where if you went over 35mph, the police would appear).

If you can dodge the police, they should leave you alone the next day.

The STEAM Deluxe version is what I thought was the best deal: I got the orginal Mafia: $21.00 at Amazon.com; the downloadbable content: $10.00; so I really only paid $29.00 for the Mafia II.

The Mafia II Collector's edition is $70.00 at the stores, and you do not get the original Mafia.

Is the game worth $50.00 now? I would say if you really like Mafia movies and can't wait to play it, go for it.

The game is entertaining (and I mean entertaining as opposed to being realistic in every regard and aspect), and if it is 10 hours long, that's $5.00 an hour.

It is an offer you can refuse, but if you take it, I don't think you'll feel ripped off.

Capiche?

Last edited:
Upvote 0