• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey guys, the "losing ammo when dropping a weapon" isn't a bug

nutterbutter

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
It is how the game is designed although I wish it wasn't.

One of the things I hate about the game is the ability for people to stockpile weapons. They buy weapons and stockpile them on the ground. The reason they can do that is because the game is designed that the ammo stays with the weapon. That is how someone can drop a weapon and multiple magazines/shells/canisters/rockets/whatever are still magically attached to that weapon. That is why when someone equipped with dual pistols drops one and his pistol ammo is halved. He dropped half his pistols and half the ammo went with it.

Personally, I'd prefer the ammo stick with the person. That way any dropped weapon only takes a single magazine/load of shells/canister/rocket/and so on. Of course this means no more stockpiling weapons which I consider a bonus as well.

Would you consider picking up the useless extra 9mm and dropping it so you can be useful again only to find your ammo halved a feature?

I didn't say it was a feature. What I said was that is how the game is designed. It is consistent.

What about giving a late joiner in distress a lever-action with a full stack of shells that you PAID for and you find the person you gave the weapon to to find that he has only half the ammo, and he has a drastically lowered life expectancy? Is that a feature?

The player receiving the LAR does receive the "full stack of shells." Actually, he receives more than the "full stack of shells." He receives the "full stack of shells" plus additional ammo. What he doesn't receive is all of the ammo for the rifle because the player just throws the rifle.

Now there are three ways to deal with this.

1) The ammo sticks with the weapon and there is a slight loss when dropping the weapon. I think this is completely unrealistic and allows the players to stockpile weapons.

2) The ammo stays with the player and all dropped weapons have a single full load in them if there is ammo. This is what I prefer.

3) The ammo sticks with the weapon and full loads of ammo are always automagically attached to the weapon. I think this is the worst.

Also, don't get caught up thinking that everything is either a feature or a bug. Every feature doesn't have to be either. It just has to be consistent.

And if giving a player a half loaded rifle drastically lowers his life expectancy, then why would you do it?

Upvote 0
I didn't say it was a feature. What I said was that is how the game is designed. It is consistent.

Design is the feature, basically. A feature is consistent. And I think TWI have mentioned themselves or acknowledged the fact that it's a bug. Not too sure on that bit. :confused:

And if giving a player a half loaded rifle drastically lowers his life expectancy, then why would you do it?

*facepalm* The life expectancy is lower than it should be because he has less ammo. More ammo = more time alive, less ammo = less time alive.

Upvote 0
dropping dual deagles over and over will ultimatly result in no ammo

yes when the game was released there was a bug that made it so you had -23452346 ammo (huge random number) when dropping and picking up dual deagles

when you buy dual deagles it defaults to 8 rounds meaning you have to reload to get the 16

there is something funny about the deagles and i think we can all agree they need to be looked at

Upvote 0