• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What I want: Fire main tank gun on the move...

MyIdaho

Jul 5, 2010
I'm newbie to RO but a long time player of BF1942. I purchased RO because I wanted to try a new game engine and style of play. There's things I like about tanking on RO but I really dislike tanking as a single crew member. Nobody wants to team up on line, you're on your own when operating a tank. Sure, I can one shot a t-34 on ARAD when I'm at my hiding spots. But, yikes, it gets boring..... Since, I can't have a tank crew, why not let me control the whole tank similar to BF 1942? Right now, the attacking tankers are at a huge disadvantage. Let the attacking tanks fire on the move and the "hiders" will have to change their strategy or die... IMO, this change will make the game more interesting and constantly changing from round to round. Just a thought...

ww2 era tanks firing on the move is something we know from staged propaganda movies. in 99.9% you wouldnt be able to hit anything on the move (although i somwhere read that soviet tankers were trained to do just that. i doubt that it was effective at all, though, or that i'm right at all). there was no effective gun stabilization mechanism in use at that time, iirc.
the nonexistant delay when switching positions in ro:eek:stf already compensates for the lack of a gunner a lot and i guess some kind of penalty (not having the gun pointed in the general direction of the enemy when the tank stops) should be kept when solo-tanking, simply to enforce teamwork (even if it doesn't really work in pub play :( ).

there would be no use at all except for turning RO into bf1942, i guess.

Upvote 0
ww2 era tanks firing on the move is something we know from staged propaganda movies. in 99.9% you wouldnt be able to hit anything on the move (although i somwhere read that soviet tankers were trained to do just that. i doubt that it was effective at all, though, or that i'm right at all). there was no effective gun stabilization mechanism in use at that time, iirc.
the nonexistant delay when switching positions in ro:eek:stf already compensates for the lack of a gunner a lot and i guess some kind of penalty (not having the gun pointed in the general direction of the enemy when the tank stops) should be kept when solo-tanking, simply to enforce teamwork (even if it doesn't really work in pub play :( ).

IMO, there's many significant differences between RO and bf1942. Shooting on the move may not be realistic but certainly would give the attacking force a chance to bust through bottlenecks in RO. Since others are not willing to tank with me on-line and I detest urban infantry warfare, RO/DH are rapidly falling out of favor... I also understand that my view is not historical and accurate enough for many/most and likely will not happen. I'll either adapt or move on.

Upvote 0
Why don't you try attacking the cap zones instead of "hiding", won't be so boring then, when you have to jump from driving position to gun position while ppl. are firing at you from all angles.
Team tanking is non-existant on public servers simply because its not an easy art to master,and most experienced players would rather go alone than team up with a stranger who might not have a clue what their doing.
Bring a friend and learn how to tank together,as a team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why don't you try attacking the cap zones instead of "hiding", won't be so boring then, when you have to jump from driving position to gun position while ppl. are firing at you from all angles.
Team tanking is non-existant on public servers simply because its not an easy art to master,and most experienced players would rather go alone than team up with a stranger who might not have a clue what their doing.
Bring a friend and learn how to tank together,as a team.

Yes, I agree. I do cap flags and prefer to attack/cap a flag rather than hiding/shooting at distant tanks. I'm more of an assault tanker and get bored quickly while waiting for our opponents to show up on the field... I game for excitement, not relaxation! :eek::D

Upvote 0
No need to make tanks more arcadey than they already are. I think solo-tanking should be disencouraged, even in pub servers(though it's a mess in pub). I say the lonewolfing tankers should have some penalties like slower change between positions and slower reload.

There are severe penalties as is with solo tanking, particularly with assaulting tanks. No need to make it even worse, IMO anyways.

Upvote 0
to answer the OP's question:

there was no effective gun stabilization mechanism in use at that time, iirc.

in RO you can shoot from the gunner spot if your buddy is driving, although it's usually really tough to get hits unless your tank is on level terrain and moving pretty slow, but it is possible. as pointed out in the above statement, the reason why it's so difficult is because tanks during that time period weren't equipped with gun stabilization mechanisms.

yup. i started out with playing bf1942 back when it came out and imo, i liked it much better than when MOH type games got popular. the tanks i thought at the time, were designed well for the driving part, but once you start playing more advanced games and more realistic games (like RO), the ability to drive and shoot a tank at the same time is just too arcadish....that and i remember those tanks being blown up by grenades :D

the suggestion just isn't going to happen in RO. although there are some things about bf1942 that i've helped suggest for implimentation into HOS like the spawn select system ;)

Upvote 0
btw a somewhat related story from real life, i know a guy who served in a merkava tank- he tried to move from the drivers seat to turret while the tank was operation and completely ripped off his leg when the turret started moving before he got there.

and as for the game, usually experienced people dont want to tank on pubs because on 80% of the times you'll get someone from a nation where english is just a rumor in your tank, someone called SS-Hitler or someone who thinks that aiming back when the tank moves forward is the best tactic to go with.

Upvote 0
As I am aware didnt the allies install gyroscopic stabilizers in the turrets of the shermans to allow them to shoot on the move? Is there no way to implement that sort of thing is the shermans?

In DH what I find is that you can fire 600 APCR shells at the front of a Panther or a Tiger or whatever and the damage they take is obviously relative to what they would have suffered in WW2. However from the allies point of view the German tanks can sit and take a healthy pounding while they are stationary, the allied tanks however dont have this luxury as even one shell from a tiger or a panther and boom your tanks brewing up.

If however they managed to put some sort of gun stabilisation it would make running and gunning at the german tanks a lot easier.

Upvote 0
I'm newbie to RO but a long time player of BF1942. I purchased RO because I wanted to try a new game engine and style of play. There's things I like about tanking on RO but I really dislike tanking as a single crew member. Nobody wants to team up on line, you're on your own when operating a tank. Sure, I can one shot a t-34 on ARAD when I'm at my hiding spots. But, yikes, it gets boring..... Since, I can't have a tank crew, why not let me control the whole tank similar to BF 1942? Right now, the attacking tankers are at a huge disadvantage. Let the attacking tanks fire on the move and the "hiders" will have to change their strategy or die... IMO, this change will make the game more interesting and constantly changing from round to round. Just a thought...

1) In RO2 you will have AI crew

2) get in a tank with a friend

3) get used to it, that's the way it was in real life. The fact of the matter is firing on the move is damn near impossible anyway because these tanks didn't have gyroscopes to stabilize the turret during movement. Even if you have a driver and you're the gunner, when he's driving around you won't be able to hit the broad side of a barn. Try it sometime in Red Orchestra.

Upvote 0
As I am aware didnt the allies install gyroscopic stabilizers in the turrets of the shermans to allow them to shoot on the move? Is there no way to implement that sort of thing is the shermans?

In DH what I find is that you can fire 600 APCR shells at the front of a Panther or a Tiger or whatever and the damage they take is obviously relative to what they would have suffered in WW2. However from the allies point of view the German tanks can sit and take a healthy pounding while they are stationary, the allied tanks however dont have this luxury as even one shell from a tiger or a panther and boom your tanks brewing up.

If however they managed to put some sort of gun stabilisation it would make running and gunning at the german tanks a lot easier.

The short barreled Shermans were infact fitted with gyros on the main gun, sadly it didn't prove too practical however, as it only acted on gun elevation. The major problem was that it wasn't connected to the turret traverse mechanism and even worse it couldn't compensate for elevations to ground level. So it wasn't able to keep the gun fixed on a single point, but only keep the gun relatively stable when the tank was moving slowly straight at a target. There wasn't much point in even this however, seeing as Allied tank sights weren't articulated and as such moved up and down with the gun. So it was actually considered a rather dangerous contrabtion when speeding over rough terrain as the breech of the gun would then move quickly up and down inside the turret, making sighting of the gun not only impossible but downright dangerous for the gunner. As a result most crews had the gyro turned off or removed alltogether, the British had it removed on most their Shermans as soon as they recieved them.

Reactions: VariousNames
Upvote 0