• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Firearms: Source

Dcode

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sheffield, UK
The unofficial but officially approved remake of the excellent Firearms mod for HL1 is set to be released on the 23rd of July.

I lost countless nights to the original back in the day and I have been waiting for this release for a couple of years. I managed to get myself on the beta test team. The mod is really polished and plays great, some very professional work by these guys.

Some of the character of the original has been lost in this teams interpretation but it holds its self well next to it. Continued support is planned and hopefully they will bring back the parachuting.

It is not realistic nor is the gameplay evolutionary but its a solid shooter which works best with people willing to work together. While the game play is very much run and gun, your not forced to. You can stealth and snipe around.

Keep an eye out for it.

http://www.firearms-source.com/

Last edited:
I can't wait! :D FA would have been my most favorite mod out of all the HL1 mods were it not for all the dev team issues and incredibly long patch delays. Now all the HL1 legacy issues are gone and all the guns shall be rebalanced again (seriously is was like Famas, Uzi, or Barret fest by 3.0). Plus a lot of the skills got changed around for the better. Like the leader skill which is now actually worth the points.
It might be nice for nostalgic purposes but as far as gameplay goes it has got nothing to offer over any other shooter today.
Pshaw I say! FA is a the only FPS I know of that plays like a class based FPS but without the restrictive and rigid presets. FA is not like Battlefield with it's kits or Team Fortress with it's many classes. You can be any type of role you wish. Assault Sniper? Grab a shotgun and sniper rifle or change out the sniper rifle for a battle rifle and up your marksmanship skill to the max. Combat medic with a emphasis on combat? Grab a MG and the medic skill, heal teammates between lulls in supporting fire. It was amazing how long it was balanced. Before 2.5/6 no combination was too overpowered. Skill mattered and teams were better because they were skilled, not from any sort of min/maxing.

Upvote 0
I have precisely no interest in a mod that features multiple chest shots from an M14 to take somebody down. No visible sway and extremely understated recoil to boot.

It's like Counter Strike with ironsights slapped overtop the screen.
It's what games were like ~10 years ago when this mod was out. Hard to make any kind of sequel/port/whatever without retaining mostly the same style of game play. If you don't like arcade shooters that's fine, no need to go and bash it unnecessarily. At least it is being faithful to it's origins unlike some (all?) other triple A game sequels coming out this year.

Upvote 0
Well it's out and I just gave it a try.

It does have that firearms feeling as far as I can judge. And again I totally suck in it lol. Played for 20minutes and seemed to me like I didn't get any kills at all(though I did). You die very fast yet it seems to me that enemies can take many bullets. Weapons fire very fast in full auto so it's a good thing you can change firemodes. Weapons didn't feel strong tbh. For a first release it's pretty good though I guess.

Upvote 0
For a version 1 release this is very good. Sure some things are broken, but it can only get better from here. The only big problem I have is with the MGs, even with Marksmanship 3 they are too inaccurate to compete with snipers who can move while scoped in. Outside of that it is really just map issues and bugs. It may have taken a long time but FA has finally been reborn and it is a great tribute to the original. To bad I have almost no time this weekend to actually play it :(.

Upvote 0
Its got some issues but I still think its great. Yes it takes a great deal of rounds to kill someone, so did the original. It does have that plasticy Source engine feel that's common in all Source ports but its a great effort in its own right.

Most of the criticisms I am reading in this thread are related to weapon damage, which is planned to be tweak in the next release. As for bandages I fail to see what the issue is with this. I am always hitting my B key after combat.

Obviously it's not going to please everyone.

Upvote 0