• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mods to Retail?

Personally, I dislike the idea that some people have of mods not being made due to it splitting the player base.

While this would seem a valid argument...to me it is only valid if the mod has nothing unique to it. Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum were COMPLETELY unique experiences, other than the core systems that made them mods rather than their own games.

If a mod is of sufficient quality for Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad, then IMO it should be released as DLC, or an expansion even depending on the quality of the content. Stand-alone expansion? Sure. But making it an entirely separate game would be pointless imo.

Upvote 0
You are mixing up multiple things here echo.

The ability for a mod team to go retail got nothing to do with not wanting a community split. If anything making a mod going retail is a bigger from the main game than a mod with its own community. Aka your post got nothing to do with this entire thread...

Next to that nobody in here or anywhere else was talking about a dislike of mods being made. Most people absolutely love the addition of mods and custom content and there is no reason to hate it either.

Although DH, CC and MN offer unique experiences. The core game play is pretty much the same as RO, with as primary difference the different front its taking place in. Aka most people that like RO will like basic game play of all of the mods. So it would be a lot nicer if you could simply join a DH,CC or MN server directly from the RO serverbrowser, or even better have one server host all 3 maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never disagreed with most of that.

Though running them all from the same browser would require some filters and warnings be added in, so you can find servers that run maps you might not have access to.

If the server browser will be made to be able to show the HOS mods next to the main game. Then if a mod isnt installed it could be made to not show any server for that mod. Logically showing a mod in the list would be a filter.

Upvote 0
Although DH, CC and MN offer unique experiences. The core game play is pretty much the same as RO, with as primary difference the different front its taking place in. Aka most people that like RO will like basic game play of all of the mods. So it would be a lot nicer if you could simply join a DH,CC or MN server directly from the RO serverbrowser, or even better have one server host all 3 maps.

well this is it - not to belittle those 3 but they are not mods in the sense the RO orgionally was, but more like content packs.
And in that regard they probably would have been best served lauching from the main game, however this didn't really help CC which was possibly the least played of the 3. (thou in fairness it also had the least content, having wound up early in it's life.)

Rising Storm i guess will be the same in that regard, except if it is paid for DLC, i dunno if they would encorporate it into HoS or have it launch separately.

And Incountry will presumibly contain so much new content that maybe it would be best if launched separately.

bit off topic sorry

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it get very messy? Since they have to, like mentioned get the unreal engine and then also have the permission to use Tripwire's stuff as well. Doesn't seem like it's very feasible for a small team. They could however, always start from scratch and make a brand new game, or just remake it for RO:HOS and who knows, they might get some sort of support.

Upvote 0