• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flag Carrier Class

Havoc91

Jan 6, 2010
I'm not a very experienced player in Red Orchestra, but I came to think of something that at least I think could have been a good addition to the gameplay. Though, as this idea might be a bit "unrealistic" I don't think it will be added, but I'm just gonna say it any way.

Flag Carrier:

This is basically a flag carrying class which provides a forward spawn for his team. The flag will either be mounted on his back, placed in his hands (as main weapon) or placed on the ground to work.
Was thinking he would have a (semi?)automatic rifle if the flag was attached to his back, and only a pistol as secondary if the flag was in his main hand.
If the flag is placeable on the ground, it will get removed when the enemy touches / destroys it.

I came up with this class when I played on one of the bigger RO maps, where I had to run a REALLY long way from spawn, to get into combat.

Now, I am gonna say that I haven't read many books or studied a lot about history, so I am not sure if either of the side had any type of "flag carrier" or "banner carrier" though, after seeing enemy at the gates (yeah, lol) I came up with this idea.

I'm sorry for grammar / spelling errors, English is not my native language.

Havoc91

a very imaginative idea, but i seriously doubt TWI will try something like this

the most important thing to remember is that while RO goes heavy on realism, it only goes so far as the game can still be fun. The reverse is also true, TWI will only put in a 'fun' feature as long as it doesn't stray too far from realism

there's been talk of letting squad leaders pick spawn points, which is similar to your idea, but I've seen this feature abused way too much in other games before

for example, in Killzone 2, when trying to destroy the enemy bunker, here is what happens almost every time, the attacking squad leader throws a spawn point grenade right next to the objective that needs to get blown up, then the defending squad leader throws his spawn grenade into the same spot. Now you have dozens of players spawning 5 feet from their enemies, everyone just picks a rocket launcher, spawns, fires off one rocket, then dies, all in about 2.5 seconds:rolleyes:, the moveable spawn feature gets abused FAR too much and I would hate to see RO go the same way

and with a flag carrier, what is stopping people from just spawn killing everyone that spawns from the flag? Do you grant them spawn protection? then what is stopping the guys who are spawning from wiping out the whole enemy team in the few seconds of invulnerability they have?

IMO, RO's spawn system works just fine, just make sure the spawn zones can't be exit-camped and TA-DAH!!! you have a perfect spawn system

Upvote 0
don't get me wrong, I would love to see some kind of flag waver, and maybe it could inspire the soldiers around it with slightly better stats

it could just be a commisar with a TT-33 in one hand and the flag in the other, but I sure as hell wouldn't sign up to be that class. Holding a big red flag is like shouting to the Germans "HEY DEUTCHBAGS!!! COME AND SHOOT ME FIRST!!!":p

All I'm saying is don't make it a mobile spawn point, the mechanics of it wouldn't work well with RO's style of gameplay

Upvote 0
for example, in Killzone 2, when trying to destroy the enemy bunker, here is what happens almost every time, the attacking squad leader throws a spawn point grenade right next to the objective that needs to get blown up, then the defending squad leader throws his spawn grenade into the same spot. Now you have dozens of players spawning 5 feet from their enemies, everyone just picks a rocket launcher, spawns, fires off one rocket, then dies, all in about 2.5 seconds:rolleyes:, the moveable spawn feature gets abused FAR too much and I would hate to see RO go the same way
THIS FFS!!! That game is SO unplayable because of that BS and I agree, RO would end up really bad due to that. Especially with FF and add in some artillery strikes...lol.

Upvote 0
If someone can point a source about usage of "flag carriers" in WWII,
I would be more than pleased to read about it.

Well, I can show you at least a pic! :D

sovietcharge_painting.jpg

funny, exactly this suggestion was already made for ROO a few years ago.
I dont think we ever see this in HoS multiplayer, but maybe for the singleplayercampain?!? ;)

Upvote 0