• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your Keyboard Keys Effect How You Play/The Best Keyboard Key Combinations

AceUnlimited

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2010
I notice that the way you set your keys effect the way you play.
Here's the way i set my keyboard for the basic keys
up= w
down= s
left= a
rigth= d
I also notice that when i had my DROP WEAPON KEY set to "/" that i had to look at the keyboard and it got me in to stressful situations.
drop weapon= z
jump= space
switch to last weapon= caps lock
switch weapon forward= wheel up
switch weapon backward= wheel down
aim= right mouse button
crouch= c (i used toggle crouch and it turned on me when the flesh pounds showed up on suicidal so i couldn't jump or get away, and became lunch meat)
drop money= b
grenade= g
flash light= f
quick heal= q
open door= e
reload= r
say= t
shoot = left mouse button

That is how I set my keys for killing floor. But i have one other seemingly impossible thing that i have no way of fixing but i dont let it stand in my way: Layouts appearing on my screen and i can't see anything. It happens a few ways. 1. when I'm close enough to the siren when it screams. 2. If I fall and get hurt they appear. 3. If i take enough damage,
with armor on, they appear. If a specimen hurts me they appear. 4. If i get hurt in any way or form they also appear. I cant stand it when they appear but i cant dont anything about them so i deal with it. But it messes up my style in killing floor. But I'll keep on fighting.

I always fight until the end, I never stop until I win. - Ace Unlimited

Q=Last weapon used
Z=Quick heal
X=Drop Weapon
C=Mic
Y=chat
Shift=Walk key
Ctrl=Crouch
Alt=Toggle Crouch
J=Suicide key
P=Login as admin
L=Give up Admin
O=Kill all players on the server
K=Give 1 hp to all players
/=Open kick vote menu
Wheel Up=Give money
Wheel Down=Give money
B=Change server difficulty to Normal
N=Change server difficulty to Hard
M=Change server difficulty to Suicidal

The rest is set on default I think.

You are right that your keyboard keys affect how you play. But no one really cares about it and people will use what they want.
I hate players who join and ask what's the key to do this and that tho.
Just go to your settings and figure it out. It isn't that hard.

Upvote 0
I hate players who join and ask what's the key to do this and that tho.
Just go to your settings and figure it out. It isn't that hard.

agree its annoying but they pick it up fast. Wats more annoying is noobs in the wrong difficulty. i usually direct em to look out for the difficulty filter field when listing servers.

interesting maps for suicide n give money tho. been too lazy to re-assess my mapping but i shall try it :)

Upvote 0
Layouts appearing on my screen and i can't see anything. It happens a few ways. 1. when I'm close enough to the siren when it screams. 2. If I fall and get hurt they appear. 3. If i take enough damage,
with armor on, they appear. If a specimen hurts me they appear. 4. If i get hurt in any way or form they also appear. I cant stand it when they appear but i cant dont anything about them so i deal with it. But it messes up my style in killing floor. But I'll keep on fighting.

I always fight until the end, I never stop until I win. - Ace Unlimited

Surprisingly i had this same issue when i first started playing, to be honest i thought it was how the game worked at the time and was very dissapointed that a screen came up when i got hit that wouldnt allow me to see anything for a few seconds and usually would result in me dying, SO i was like WTH can i do to fix this? I didnt see any forums talking about the issue and of course i cant expect tripwire to fix it- especially when ive seen the same "news" in multiplayer for the past year- due to lack of anyone giving a shi.t about this game anymore..... Yes im mad at tripwire for lack of info and updates but on to your fix---

There is a few things i did to "fix" this the first was verifying the integrity of the game cache which you can do by simply right clicking on KF in ur games list. If that doesn't work play around with your graphics and keep going in on single player until u are not seeing the "layout" when you get hit. I mean changing everything to im sorry i dont remember the exact fix since it was a while ago but seriously, all i did was verify the integrity of the game cache messed around with the graphics for about 20 minutes until i didnt see it when i got hit anymore. Hope this helps man, let me know.

Upvote 0
W A S D R F B G B Q E 1 2 3 4 5 (spacebar) as standard

M - Medic!
N - No
Y - Yes
Z - I need some money
X - Sorry!
U - Go upstairs
K - Go downstairs
H - Help!
J - Get to the trader
L - Look out!
C - voice chat
EDIT: V: RUN!
Left button on the side of my mouse - Quickscope
Shift - Crouch. This is why people may see me quickly crouch down for no reason. I'm opening up the Steam overlay to talk to someone

I know that i have something for O and P but i can't remember them off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To: (KBJugg3Rnaut) + 9 6, CandleJack, Extrabread, and YtaaBOYoy. Yall are cool.

It dosn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that everyone uses what keys they feel like using, i know that

Thanks dude for your help, I take time to make forums to gather info from people, and about 5% help me and the other 95% always has something smart-mouthed, stupid, childish, and ignorant to say. You are cool dude, People in the 95% group are just haters, their haters because they can only put people down and try to make themselves look cool and stuff.
Well I got something to say to all of you HATERS
Check It....
Wait...Don't Come near,
I sence a POWERFUL presense in the atmosphere
Oh... Thats just my home-boy ACE,
Mess with him and he'll put you in you place
What then HATER!, You got something to say?
Tell it to my FACE or walk the other way!
Don't worry, Your day is coming soon,
It started with a BANG, It's going out with a BOOM
Going all around the world, putting fear in it's place
Ace In Your Face!
ATTENTION:You Got Placed By Ace!
Quote:No matter what you do I will PREVAIL, And cast you off into EXILE!
I Always Stay 1 Step Ahead Of The Competition!
Mess With The Best And Fall Like The Rest!
Ace Unlimited Out!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F1 - Thanks!
F2 - Help!
F3 - I need some money
F4 - Yes
F5 - Let's hole up here
F6 - Insult Specments

WASD - movement keys
LCtrl - crouch
Space - jump
Alt - grenade spam
Shift - quick self heal
Q - last used weapon
C - voices command menu
F - Flashlight
R - Reload
T - say
B - give money
V - Insult players
G - Drop weapon
LMB - Shoot
RMB - Iron sights
And mouse wheel to change weapons/items

Also - 1,2,3,4,5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All you've done there is listed the main keys and changed about two of them, besides no one gives a **** how you have the keys set up, people will play and tailor their controls to suit their needs, I never have say as T because I always press it when I'm trying to reload, you don't, all of us have different control setups that work best.

y so srs?

I use all default except Z for Throwweapon (the Default one didn't work), and RMB is held to ADS, not toggled.

I may setup some alias' later, such as one press Knife attacks > Switch to prev weapon.

Upvote 0
To: (KBJugg3Rnaut) + 9 6, CandleJack, Extrabread, and YtaaBOYoy. Yall are cool.

It dosn't (doesn't) take a rocket scientist to figure out that everyone uses what (whatever) keys they feel like using, i (I) know that .

Thanks dude for your help, I take time to make (visit) forums to gather info from people, and about 5% help me and the other 95% always has (have) something smart-mouthed, stupid, childish, and ignorant to say. (Run-on Sentence) You are cool dude, People in the 95% group are just haters, their (they're) haters because they can only put people down and try to make themselves look cool and stuff. (Or they might just be bored.)
Well I got something to say to all of you HATERS
Check It....
Wait...Don't Come near,
I sence (sense) a POWERFUL presense (presence) in the atmosphere
Oh... That's just my home-boy ACE,
Mess with him and he'll put you in you (your) place
What then HATER!, You (have) got something to say?
Tell it to my FACE or walk the other way!
Don't worry, Your day is coming soon,
It started with a BANG, It's going out with a BOOM (BOOM and soon don't rhyme)
Going all around the world, putting fear in it's (its) place
Ace In Your Face!
ATTENTION:You Got Placed By Ace!
Quote:No matter what you do I will PREVAIL, And cast you off into EXILE!
I Always Stay 1 Step Ahead Of The Competition!
Mess With The Best And Fall Like The Rest!
Ace Unlimited Out!

Haters don't know 'bout your grammar.

On-topic: Aside from quick-heal, I usually use the default keys. The only commands I use shortcuts for are "Medic" and "Money".

Upvote 0
Pretty much what I use for Doom...

RMouse forward, LShift back, D left, F right, space jump, S crouch, V use, W zoom/sights, R reload, LMouse/LCtrl attack, MMouse/G alt.

For some bizarre reason I've got Toggle Crouch bound. It is X. And useless.

Talk keys are mostly mnemonic cues unless they're very commonly used: = RUN! (think motion lines); Backspace Sorry!; N No; K Yes (i.e., "okay"); L Thanks (no idea how I got this); B Insult Specs (mid-level enemy sighted / using it ironically when the situation is hopeless); A Look Out! (almost always = pounder); 6 Insult Players (a "tier 6 weapon", being even more meta than the syringe or welder); , and . are Upstairs and Downstairs (think < and > in roguelikes); [ and ] are Outside and Inside along that pattern; P Hole Up (not sure - "Pie Hole"???); \ Trader (pipes and slashers). Yes the directions are very far from my hands and I have to look each time, but if I'm too distracted to bother you don't want my directions anyway. :)

I have nothing bound to ask for money. I'm too proud and unless it's a special occasion like I just connected during wave 10 and everyone had agreed to try for the Merry Men achievement I'm happy to go SS+9mm+scavenge for a few rounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So here is a list of ALL my key bindings...

hehe just kidding.

Probably the only one I use that anyone might get any use from is I bind my welder and syringe to individual keys instead of a shared 5 key.

x=kfmod.welder

5 is still syringe for me but if you want to modify then use kfmod.syringe

Upvote 0