• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-TowerDefence-Beta1

News: Beta1-V2 Released, here is a more better version than before as i've fixed a few things, this is just a quick fix to enhance the gameplay. I am currently working on beta 2 at the moment doing some major changes that you's will enjoy :D

Changes: 1: Fountain is no longer exploitable.
2. KFLevelRules is set to 0.25, so now specimens come in quicker :p
3. JumpPads now introduced.
4. Specimen Pathing Tweaked, there much more smarter and get to you more quicker than before.
5. New Skybox, look much better now.
6. Download Size reduced.

Hi all, heres a map i've been working on for quite a while. As you'll see the inspiration comes from the map Defence,i liked that map in the past and now wanted to create fort map to freshen up the gameplay, it's a medieval style inspired map, thought of the design and from scratch slowly built it together.

You'll find its fast paced, and quite a challenging i'd recommend Hard difficulty at least but Suicidal most definitely for a challenge, Give it a go! :)

This is my first map by the way for Killing Floor.

Map Name: KF-TowerDefence-Beta1-V2

Beta Number: 1-V2

Playable: Yes

Description of map: The remaining survivors fled London in a helicoper without checking the cargo hold. One gorefast later came out and took the pilot down and the helicopter crashed.
With the murmurs of infected growing louder in their ears,
the survivors flee to a nearby structure to make their last stand. Good luck.

What testing is wanted: performance and bugs/glitches, any geometry problems and exploits thanks.

Map Download/Download Size: Zipped 13mb. Unzipped 33mb.

I'd like to give special credits to a few maps i took a few meshes from, HeresyBeta3, BellTolls and KF-[LT]TheMansion.

And i'd like to give a huge thanks to *Driftwood* and *Falidell* for their support.

*Tips for the Towers* Next time you jump down from a tower make sure you land on the meshes that look like leaves, to reduce your fall damage.

Download Link: http://www.filefront.com/16550975/KF-TowerDefence-Beta1-V2.rar or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YW6IKCBZ or http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/9/6/2566056//KF-TowerDefence-Beta1-V2.rar
Map is live on Skeletonsbonepile.com Killing Floor Servers 6x6 slot + 24 slot fun server :p.

Here's a list of the Server IP's with names:

Note: These servers are hosted from Australia.

202.60.82.81:7807 Skeletonsbonepile.com [Brisbane][CustomMaps|Long|Hard]#1
202.60.82.81:7907 Skeletonsbonepile.com [Brisbane][CustomMaps|Long|Hard]#2
202.60.82.81:7707 Skeletonsbonepile.com [Brisbane][CustomMaps|Long|Hard]#3
202.60.82.81:7607 Skeletonsbonepile.com [Brisbane][CustomMaps|Long|Suicidal]#4
202.60.82.198:7707 Skeletonsbonepile.com [Sydney][CustomMaps|Long|Hard] #5
202.60.82.198:7807 Skeletonsbonepile.com [Sydney][CustomMaps|Long|Hard] #6

ScreenShots:

shot00027w.png

shot00072a.png

shot00073x.png

shot00070he.png

shot00029u.png

Last edited:
I've been following demon's progress on this one and I gotta say, you don't want to write this one off as 'just another fort map'. He has been working on it 4-5 months and it is a LOT better than ANY other fort map I've played. There's some custom meshes/textures and this is NOT some noob camp fest it is hard, the zombies come from many entrances and also jump over the walls. AFAIK there is no safe place.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to know has anyone tested it yet, would like to have some feedback. Thanks

Yeah not a LOT of testers actually posting on the forums anymore, but I see the map is pretty popular on SBP servers. A few comments. The map size is really big for the kind of map it is. This can reduce the number of people who play the map, particularly the ones downloading from a server in-game (most people). Look into converting the bmp textures to DDS or something.

I played it a few nights ago on Hard. It was very challenging on suicidal with the jump spawns but on Hard we kinda breezed through it. It wasn't campy like Defence2 but I think needs some way for zeds to get to the second level. You could try teleporters if jump pads don't work.

Upvote 0
looks good man, i really like the towers you have there :)
i can help you out on the map if you want. i cracked it open already and i found a few things
Code:
-too many tree's, some tree's had 0 visual effect wither taken out or not and 
simply eat up your resource budget

-all your castle textures look like they are from 8 years ago :P
 setting there texture scale to 0.25 make it so it's better quality while keeping 
it from being noticably tiled. oh and be sure to align them right :)

-Way too many PathNodes, these nodes are basically only for the ai to find a 
path to you but one they get to you they don't need em unless you go behind 
a door or a pillar or something, atm you have 1192 nodes in your map i would 
recommend reduceing that by half. too many nodes is just as bad as too little.
for the simple stairs 3 nodes is plenty fine, 1 a little before the first step, 1 in 
the middle, and 1 on top, and if your stairs are sideways like ur's then 1  extra 
node as a exit point. also less pathnodes make for a smaller filesize :) and for ur
hallways just put one node at the intersections, just outside the doorways, stairs
stuff like that, again it's to help them navigate through the map not for dictating 
exact posistions.

- also another way to decrease your budget useage is for the tree's on the 
outside where you can't actually walk at, completely remove all collision 
detection so the computer doesn't have to process it.

- to Decrease your lvl size and decrease your budget useage, check all walls,
floors, ceilings, everything and if that area has little to no shadowing on it 
lick that area, open the surface properties and make it have a 256 lightmap.
good lightmap useage can make ur level not only a smaller filesize, but
increase your level's performance and increase detail. all around good thing.
smaller lightmap size = better shadow casting detail on that surface but uses 
more resources and if used too much lags like a mutha'blarge
 larger lightmap size = not so good shadow casting detail, but uses less 
resources and increases performance.

- also any surface that the player doesn't see at all..ever.. go the the surface 
properties for the surface and go to the "flags" tab and set it to unlit

thats all i can come up with in 5 minutes .... :) but anyways again i like ur map so far :)

EDIT: oh and another thing i forgot to mention you have too many anti-portals
beleve it or not too many is worse then none at all. just keep the ones that cover the most i'd say like 4-6 is enough

Last edited:
Upvote 0
looks good man, i really like the towers you have there :)
i can help you out on the map if you want. i cracked it open already and i found a few things
Code:
-too many tree's, some tree's had 0 visual effect wither taken out or not and 
simply eat up your resource budget

-all your castle textures look like they are from 8 years ago :P
 setting there texture scale to 0.25 make it so it's better quality while keeping 
it from being noticably tiled. oh and be sure to align them right :)

-Way too many PathNodes, these nodes are basically only for the ai to find a 
path to you but one they get to you they don't need em unless you go behind 
a door or a pillar or something, atm you have 1192 nodes in your map i would 
recommend reduceing that by half. too many nodes is just as bad as too little.
for the simple stairs 3 nodes is plenty fine, 1 a little before the first step, 1 in 
the middle, and 1 on top, and if your stairs are sideways like ur's then 1  extra 
node as a exit point. also less pathnodes make for a smaller filesize :) and for ur
hallways just put one node at the intersections, just outside the doorways, stairs
stuff like that, again it's to help them navigate through the map not for dictating 
exact posistions.

- also another way to decrease your budget useage is for the tree's on the 
outside where you can't actually walk at, completely remove all collision 
detection so the computer doesn't have to process it.

- to Decrease your lvl size and decrease your budget useage, check all walls,
floors, ceilings, everything and if that area has little to no shadowing on it 
lick that area, open the surface properties and make it have a 256 lightmap.
good lightmap useage can make ur level not only a smaller filesize, but
increase your level's performance and increase detail. all around good thing.
smaller lightmap size = better shadow casting detail on that surface but uses 
more resources and if used too much lags like a mutha'blarge
 larger lightmap size = not so good shadow casting detail, but uses less 
resources and increases performance.

- also any surface that the player doesn't see at all..ever.. go the the surface 
properties for the surface and go to the "flags" tab and set it to unlit

thats all i can come up with in 5 minutes .... :) but anyways again i like ur map so far :)

EDIT: oh and another thing i forgot to mention you have too many anti-portals
beleve it or not too many is worse then none at all. just keep the ones that cover the most i'd say like 4-6 is enough
Yo thanks for the comment, i'd say i need to do what drift said redo the textures to shrink the size of the map, also ill do what you suggested to increase performance, i might need your help in that, oh yeh the path nodes noticed how they would be confused sometimes to reach the player maybe because its too open? anyway i mite even change the textures maybe to a custom medieval style? I kinda built this map for more 6 player+ servers but would like it to run nicely for 6 aswell, i think they come in too slow on their respawn i might have to increase the level rules

Upvote 0
sure thing man i can help you out with optimizations and pathnodes etc. just lemme know my e-mail is [email protected].
as for the zombies getting in too slow, i ran into that issue as well in KF-defence
basically what you do is move all the zombie spawn zones away from the outside borders and into the tree's also i noticed that none of the spawn zones have a pathnode in the center of em, they need that :) think of it like a railroad if the train isn't on the track it'll have difficulty going forward, so that coul be another posible reason for slow zombies, and ur level rules yea i would change the wavespawnperiod from 2.0000 to either 1.0000 or 0.5000 and with all that combined the zombies should be sieging the castle :) and yes def make those textures .dds the game engine reads those easier because it's native language also it's at least 75-90% smaller file-size compaired to .BMP

Upvote 0
I'm getting an error when I try to extract the contents (CRC failed in KF-TowerDefence-Beta1-V2.rom. The file is corrupt). I tried both Winrar and 7-Zip. Both give me CRC errors. Could you check it out? I want to know if it's just isolated to my pc. Thank you.

Hey man, i re'rared it for ya :) and reuploaded it, i also uploaded it to fileden, give it a try again, i guess if it doesn't work it would have to be your comp unfortunately :(. Try downloading a newer version of winrar perhaps? hope it works for ya.

Upvote 0