• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Facebook scares me!!

Klaus

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Israel, Tel-Aviv
Question -
How the hell does Facebook "Friend Suggestion" work? Because it sometimes suggests people whom i am met maybe several times and I know they have no contact with anyone else i know! (Nor they are friends with anyone I know).
Like for example, I started going to a new restaurant they opened up, the manager came to say hello, a day later facebook suggests him to me as a friend on facebook.
WTF

Question -
How the hell does Facebook "Friend Suggestion" work? Because it sometimes suggests people whom i am met maybe several times and I know they have no contact with anyone else i know! (Nor they are friends with anyone I know).
Like for example, I started going to a new restaurant they opened up, the manager came to say hello, a day later facebook suggests him to me as a friend on facebook.
WTF

Bluntly, you, or people you are friends with, punched in sufficient personal information that it was able to run a pseudo-match against said Suggestion (and/or his or her friends).

Facebook is literally a data-mining dream.. it'd be fun to, as Case is titled, Wallo in Data just to see what sorta wacky stats you can come up with.

With that in mind, and ya, I'm being a cranky old computer guy here, remember that which you punch into online is there for pretty much ever. If you're OK with that, cool by me.

Upvote 0
Okay this is getting ridiculous **** off google

ffs2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a similar moment with google the other day. Doing a paper on UK REITs so at one point ended up googling BigYellow (big yellow self storage) to bring up their info and now half the sites that have ads powered by google are showing Big Yellow ads.

Okay this is getting ridiculous **** off google

ffs2.jpg

Using an adblocker never crossed your mind?

Upvote 0
I thought the vast majority of the internets would use AdBlock by now.https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

There ya go.

You'll never look back, I promise. And if you use IE... well, that's your problem. :D

Honestly, if you use an updated copy of IE nowadays, who really has a problem? I use both IE and Firefox and don't have a problem, and have Never needed to use an addon like AdBlock. :D

If you are having a problem with either of them, perhaps you aren't staying updated or you better check your settings :p

Upvote 0
To be fair, IE is a lot better these days, it even complies with the W3C standards nowadays...

But it's still pretty bad compared to better browser like FF or Opera.

Do you realize what AdBlock does? It literally takes away almost every ad (like 90%), you'll never even see them. And it doesn't screw up the layout of the website at all. That, combined with NoScript, and you're locked and loaded for pretty much everything. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use Opera and that gets rid of 99% of the stupid pop up ads, I dont use an ad blocker to get rid of ads like that as I'm not a douche who harms the profitability of such small websites as the one I showed, who have generally unobtrusive ads.

Not to take this any further off topic but I wasnt linking that pic becuase of the ads being there but just that google has it in my head that I really want to buy some Big Yellow Storage space.

Upvote 0