• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-RE1-Mansion-Beta (Resident Evil Mansion) - wave based + Story

Hey man heres some suggestion/feedback for you on the story based map.

1. Since the text seems to be the main influence of where to go next between the Resident Evil characters it would be nice to have a different way to present it. It got confusing sometimes where you were intended to go. You could possibly have Jill be unlocking the doors while the rest of the team hold off against the horde. Something along those lines. Then whenever the wave is finished have something come up to say a new path is opened up or something similar. I believe looking further into the editor could help with that. Sort've how Kicker did with his maps. I really like this feature and it would be awsome to see how you could intergrate it in your own way.

2. Minor door exploits and all that great stuff. I'm sure you already know of these and will fix them. As me and you were saying in game though about the doors closing I believe thats good as it lowers the confusion. Since your wondering where to go say if your in the dining room. If you back tracked from the horde all the way there then you may be confused as to what door opened up. You could slowly shut other doors instead of closing everyone that isn't in use anymore.

Say your done in the dining room and your in the main hall/statue room waiting for the next door to open up. You could leave the dining room door open until that wave is gone. Afterwards though there shouldn't be a reason to go back there (unless your told to later in the mission). Thus you could close it off. Though I'd leave the main hall open for the next wave, then close the door leading to it in the wave after that.

3. I like the idea you have for the ammo stashes and weapons. This I'd like to see more of. Though if your not going to use the money I wonder if theres a way to have it not show up? Not a big deal at all and I could definely play without this just wondering.

4. Some of the specimen paths were awkward. I saw a few of them trapped on the doorway coming out of the L hallway. This may just be killing floor, however as I said before not a huge bug.

Well thats all I can think of for now. If you have anything to say about it or honestly want me to just give you this type of feedback in private just say so and I'll make note of it. Till then I'll play with ya later.

Upvote 0
Hey man heres some suggestion/feedback for you on the story based map.

Thx for testing with me the other day, we'll do it again soon and maybe with some more help maybe not die so early? I agree with you about the 'story text', and it goes hand in hand with issues players will likely have with closing doors. I do want to keep it simple, if anything I may cut out some of my attempts at humour if I feel the text drags on too long. As far as displaying it goes, the only ways I found so far is to have as normal player chat like it is (could go unnoticed), or make it extremely stand out (might get a bit annoying and then when I DO want something to really stand out (like "GET ON THE ELEVATOR NOW!"), it may go unnoticed). I'll try and see what you mean about Kicker's map, would that be Degeneration or the Hive? I'm also considering having "GO -->" signs pop up on the walls when appropriate, kinda like the old side scrolling beat em up games. The map feels very arcadey so that would go nicely I think.

4. Some of the specimen paths were awkward. I saw a few of them trapped on the doorway coming out of the L hallway. This may just be killing floor, however as I said before not a huge bug.
There is some pathing issues but there is a few L corridors so you will have to show me which one. I try fix them if I can but specs have a tendancy to want to walk a long way round, even if a door blocking their way won't open for them. I compensate for wayward specs by simply having loads of them :p

Is this map gonna have original music from the games and films? I've played the first release of the wave-based version and loved it. I can get any Resident Evil track and put them into .ogg format and upload them for you, if you like :)
Message me/reply or something. :D
I have of course considered music and really wasn't going to bother. I wanted to keep filesize and copyright to a minimum. Also RE music is haunting but not good for high action. Actually it would probably go nicely in the trader sessions. I would really love to use some tracks from the first RE game:
-mansion themes (I think there's 2 main ones)
-mansion basement theme (real scary :D)
-what I call the insanity theme. I think you first get it in the bedrooms of the guardhouse and in some other rooms throughout the game. Its my fav one, I have a .midi for it somewhere...
-and of course the moonlight sonata

However the main problem is the simple fact that it complicates the installation process of the map. And most players download from the server they are playing on, and won't won't receive the .ogg files, meaning they get no music at all. On the other hand the nostalgia for anyone who bothers to download the map properly may just be worth it. Well if its easy to do maybe pick one or two of the tracks I mentioned and PM me for e-mail addy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On the other hand the nostalgia for anyone who bothers to download the map properly may just be worth it. Well if its easy to do maybe pick one or two of the tracks I mentioned and PM me for e-mail addy.

Sure! I'll get those and (possibly) some other ones, zip 'em up, and host them onto zippyshare for you :D I'm a little busy today though, so I might have 'em up tommorow.

You ok for tracks from other RE games and the movies? (I can get you them)

Upvote 0
No problem on the map testing. Anything to help a fellow community member out right! :)

Also the map I think you'd get the most insight on is The Hive V2. Heck you may even be able to shoot him a pm on here and see where that leads you. Since in those maps he had all types of signs and such going on.

Though for actual audio conversation that can get a bit tricky. Possibly you could make the main objectives very noticable signs and keep the text, while funny, more unoticable.

The downside to that would of course be people may miss something their buddy said because the text pushed it away and they get nommed. Oh and the whole "GO -->" sign idea would work I suppose but I think a normal sign would work. Either way man good luck and ya hopefully we can test another time. ;)

Ah before I'm done here I wanna say I highly approve of the possible useage of the RE audio files. :D

Upvote 0
No problem on the map testing. Anything to help a fellow community member out right! :)

Also the map I think you'd get the most insight on is The Hive V2. Heck you may even be able to shoot him a pm on here and see where that leads you. Since in those maps he had all types of signs and such going on.

Though for actual audio conversation that can get a bit tricky. Possibly you could make the main objectives very noticable signs and keep the text, while funny, more unoticable.

The downside to that would of course be people may miss something their buddy said because the text pushed it away and they get nommed. Oh and the whole "GO -->" sign idea would work I suppose but I think a normal sign would work. Either way man good luck and ya hopefully we can test another time. ;)

Ah before I'm done here I wanna say I highly approve of the possible useage of the RE audio files. :D

Approving audio files? You talking to me or Drifty? :confused:

Anyway, I did send him a few original soundtracks. I wonder how he's doing with 'em. Sure he's busy, but I can't wait to see the final map with the OST :D

Upvote 0
Story version released

Story version released

KF-RE1-Mansion-Story-Beta

They have escaped into the mansion.
Where they thought it was safe.
Yet...

This is a Story map, there are a lot more enemies to kill, the exact number is fixed and therefore the more team mates you have, the less difficult.
Recommended Solo Play - Beginner
Recommended Small Team, or first time with full team - Normal
Full team of good players - Hard
Just for the lolz - Suicidal

Instead of getting to the trader at the end of the wave, you have to find the "Weapons Room". Decide amongst your team who is going to carry what and arm up to the teeth! Melee weapons may be essential on harder difficulties, as less ammo will spawn the harder the difficulty. Hopefully this additional punishment
can be resolved for the final version.

TIPS:
-Firebug friendly. Do not underestimate the pain that can be unleashed by the flamethrower in the narrow halls of the Resident Evil Mansion. Recommended you have 1 or 2 firebugs your team.
-Check ALL rooms and nooks for ammo caches and possibly weapons. Chances are if a room isn't spawning zombies, and isn't a hallway to get to the next area, it will be full of ammo
-Share and Conserve ammo! Use pistols/melee when the risk is low. Commando weapons should be used in semi-automatic mode. Use a variety of weapons so when you pick up an ammo box, all weapons get a boost for optimum efficiency. Careful not to collect ammo when your primary weapon/s are already full
-Pay attention to the GO--> signs and 'Door Closing' warnings. These are there to make it easier to know where to go, you aren't being particularly clever if you ignore them. If you find yourself cut off and trapped unable to do anything, don't say you weren't warned...
-Friendly Fire. For admins who really want to punish their players...look its
probably just not possible on this map on anything above Normal lol. If you really want to give yourself nightmares, maybe try 1x medic with xbow and medic gun, and 5 x firebugs, so they can't hurt each other. Would defeat the purpose though, no?

Known Issues:
-After you kill patty, you pretty much just have to initiate map vote, the map
doesn't end on its own but it does automatically kill zombies for remaining waves.
-The end of the S shaped corridor at 1F-East in wave1 has some screwed up lighting. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know!
-In some spots the zed pathing isn't great and they hang around a door that they cannot open, not that said door leads to the players or anything. Don't worry, there's plenty of enemies that will find you easily enough.
-Lots of "negative weight at intentory spot XX" logs on server log. Someone let me know if you know how to fix this

Still to do:
-Pretty up the lighting in outside areas so that the ground doesn't glow
-Add in a cut scene so players can see the Patriarchs somewhat dramatic entrance.
If anyone knows a good cutscene/matinee tutorial please post link on my thread.

Please give feedback! Final release won't be too far away, I'm mainly interested
in knowing which sections of play are too easy or too hard, and of any major
problems, like if you managed to do something that made it impossible to proceed.
Or, you somehow triggered more than 1 zombie spawn (if the FPS slows right down, good chance this happened! Let me know where!)

Upvote 0
Not sure how I missed this little gem before. Usually all things related to Silent Hill or Resident Evil Im all over. Great map, seems like youve spent ALOT of time on it. Not into story maps but love this one and TheHive. I noticed the mentioned pathing issues but honestly with as many zombies comin at you I dont think its a big issue. My one and only concern is the framerates. Drops pretty badly when theres a sh1t ton of zombies comin at you, so not really sure if theres much you can do. Thanks for taking the time to make this!

Upvote 0
My one and only concern is the framerates. Drops pretty badly when theres a sh1t ton of zombies comin at you, so not really sure if theres much you can do.

Well I can help with the too many zed frame rate issue, IF the issue is that too many are spawning at once, or there is a pocket of badly pathed zeds that aren't getting killed off. I can't really fix it if the team is just incompetent at killing at a reasonable rate. So I am very welcome to feedback that tells me:
a) where/when the too many zed/framerate issue occured
b) how many players (obviously more players = faster killing)

The one I'm already aware of is on Wave 3 when you first enter the 'green hallway' on the 1st floor, and then loads of zeds spawn into the L shaped hallway where wave 3 began.

Upvote 0
I really enjoyed this map. It has alot of areas where the zombies jump out and surprises you. Thats always a good thing.

One flaw i noticed, is you have too many zombies in the map at a time. This will cause some major fps lag.

One of the things i look for when im doing custom spawns is I will solo it with god mode, and Arsenal cheats on. Then stand with a ton of pipes, and watch the zombie counter, if it ever goes above 60 for a single player (that's 50 in the map at once, and then 10 in the outside hold zombies area), then you have too many zombies in that area. :D

-Add in a cut scene so players can see the Patriarchs somewhat dramatic entrance.
If anyone knows a good cutscene/matinee tutorial please post link on my thread.

Let me know when you find 1, I would also like to know how to do proper cut scenes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't really fix it if the team is just incompetent at killing at a reasonable rate.

LOL

a) where/when the too many zed/framerate issue occured
b) how many players (obviously more players = faster killing)

a. Main Entrance area, where you spawn. Basement as well.

b. Whenever I dl somebodys map, I hop on and play a few rounds on solo hard.

Upvote 0
Hey driftwood, great map.

I played it on a 32 person server today (hard difficulty) and it was so much fun because the limited ammo you provided made things even crazier. People were dying left and right and katanas were golden as ammo was low.

However, our team got stuck. Six out of the 32 remained and we'd figured out that we needed to throw grenades into the holes behind the pictures. Unfortunately, we were out of grenades. All the ammo boxes had been used and the other areas of the mansion were sealed. So we were stuck. We had thrown grenades down two of the pictures holes and then a third one showed up. We threw several down it, but nothing happened. We had to force a map switch.

Upvote 0
Hey driftwood, great map.

I played it on a 32 person server today (hard difficulty) and it was so much fun because the limited ammo you provided made things even crazier. People were dying left and right and katanas were golden as ammo was low.

However, our team got stuck. Six out of the 32 remained and we'd figured out that we needed to throw grenades into the holes behind the pictures. Unfortunately, we were out of grenades. All the ammo boxes had been used and the other areas of the mansion were sealed. So we were stuck. We had thrown grenades down two of the pictures holes and then a third one showed up. We threw several down it, but nothing happened. We had to force a map switch.

Hmmm we got stuck there once when I had the holes to throw the nades down about half the size. Oh, and to the poster above, we are talking about the art gallery with the crows in it :) except no crows in mine..
So for the beta release I doubled the size of the holes so that it should be no prob to get grenades down. However, the grenades have a long way to fall before they get to the active area, so if they detonate too early they won't get to the trigger. This is neccessary to prevent all triggers going off at once... OK so the problem I noticed was that once players figured out what to do, every1 tries to do it at once, and if 3 people get nades down the hole and 1 person misses, the person who misses sets all the grenades off too early and they don't reach the target. Everyone knows there's a rule in KF where 1 grenade explosion destroys all grenades that are in the area! So... work out who is going to throw the nade and everyone else bugger off. And if you miss the first shot, don't throw another straight away. Wait for the first to detonate and then throw another.

I am sorry you got stuck though, for what it is worth all you had left to do after that was the patriarch. I'm hoping for a solution where I can guarantee respawn of grenades or ammo boxes, if anyone knows how please tell me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question about the elevator...

I put this map on my server today and played with random people a while ago. We made it up to the elevator, but someone took the elevator up by themselves, leaving the rest of the team behind. We were waiting for the elevator to come back for quite a while and it never did. Some of the team suicided, went into spec, and said the elevator disappeared. We didn't see any method of calling it back either.

Is the elevator intended to be a one time use or is the elevator supposed to be there to come back?

Upvote 0
I have a question about the elevator...

I put this map on my server today and played with random people a while ago. We made it up to the elevator, but someone took the elevator up by themselves, leaving the rest of the team behind. We were waiting for the elevator to come back for quite a while and it never did. Some of the team suicided, went into spec, and said the elevator disappeared. We didn't see any method of calling it back either.

Is the elevator intended to be a one time use or is the elevator supposed to be there to come back?

A good question. The elevator is kind of like every other section of the map where you get left behind 'for good' if you don't get to the next area on time, in this case, on the elevator. There is a warning that says '10 seconds to get on elevator'. If you get left behind, you have to wait until the next wave before you can respawn.

I am making this more forgiving for the next beta release by giving everyone 2 warnings and 20 seconds, in addition to the red arrows showing you where to go.

The reason the elevator doesn't come back again is because the elevator is used again in wave 4 to go down to the basement, and this is technically a 2nd elevator. So yes the first does 'disapear' after its first use. Believe me I tried and tried but this was the best solution I could come up with. On the positive side, the elevator sequence on wave 4 is AWESOME, probably a first in Killing Floor.

--------

I'll also take this opportunity to announce beta2 coming out in the next few days. It fixes the following issues:
-the last door on wave 4 doesn't open (you currently have to suicide when you finish wave 4 in order to respawn on the other side of the door!)
-some pathing issues
-reduced the length of wave 1 to make it more forgiving on later joiners and new players of the map who die or get trapped early on
-more warning time and messages for getting onto the elevators
-hopefully a guranteed supply of grenades for the Art Gallery sequence in wave5, if I can figure it out

Upvote 0
2nd Beta released!

2nd Beta released!

Click here, then click Download, then click first option

Short description of changes:
-The door in the Attic at end of wave4 now opens allowing players to progress to wave5
-Pieces of furniture should no longer be exploitable
-There is now more time and more text warnings for when the Elevator is going to move, to decrease the unfortunates who get left behind
-Pathing fixes
-Reduced number of enemies in wave 1 a little to make it more forgiving on late joiners and people who spawn without a weapon

Still to do:
-Find a way to ensure enough grenades for surviving players in gallery area of wave5
-Include matinee cutscene so players can watch the Patriarchs dramatic entrance (you can see what happens by going console and typing rmode 1 to put it in wireframe mode, but you can only do that in solo. Well, its how I know that the Patriarch is doing what he should be :p)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just beat the story mission and man oh man was that fun! Excellent job Driftwood, I hope to see more maps like this in the future!

Nice 1 YoYo.

I finally finished it too on Hard, 6 ppl most of which hadn't played the map before, so I guess its not as hard as I initially thought. Plenty hard enough though I think. I actually won't be making any more maps after this goes final, I guess Fel is still planning another mission map so its up to him once again.

Also, I'd like to ask if anyone is interested in making a youtube video of this map, just 2 or 3 mins perhaps. Just a bit of a walkthrough with team mates maybe showing off some of the dramatic areas, including team mates getting pawned etc. I can then post the video instead of screenshots in the final release thread and I'll try and publicize it a little in general forum and steam forum.

Upvote 0