• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-OfficesLightsOut_v2

Ok now I think this is just cheap. Biotics I could understand, but making Office completely dark, INCLUDING OUTSIDE AREAS?
The only lights on the map should be "Exit" signs, and light coming from outside, which might force players to hold near windows, for the light.

I think you should put a little more efforts in those maps. Simply turning every lights off is lame. Besides, its better to have some lights, than none at all, even if they are really limited.

Add some lights here and there, add a pale light coming from outside, and if you really want to, make the roof and parking harder to old.

Why don't you make Farm next?

ebay, i have something on the way that you will like.

Upvote 0
Your analogies are flawed and I doubt any reply would suffice. Clearly, these maps weren't meant for you. The stock maps have always been available you know? You seem to have a thing for low lighting and flickering lights. Why not create your ideal version of these maps and release it to the public? Maybe then you'll be more appreciative of the work that goes into these maps. Suggestions are always appreciated. Your disparaging remarks, however, stick out like a sore thumb.

Yes I have a thing for low lighting. Most of the stock maps are way too lighted and most of the time it erases the "scary" feeling.

However, no light at all seem to be a quick solution to a problem that would benefit from a better solution, which is survivors having too much control over their environment. Cutting off the lights reverse the situation completely, putting the players in an environment dominated by the zeds.

Now, I have nothing against that, but it should not be 100% dark all the time, because we, again, loose some of that scary feeling, because we can't see s*. Say, 97-98% darkness would be perfect, and I'm not talking about huge lighted areas, I simply means some of the lights still on, but on a very low setting. Flickering lights can also greatly contribute to creating a strong atmosphere.
For example, putting a small light in the elevator behind the spawning point in biotics. Just doing that would create a feeling of walking into the darkness, making yourself vulnerable. It would simply be amazing.

I also understand that the OP wants to put an emphasis on using the flashlights as they are not used most of the time, which is also something I agree with.

I'll say it again, I believe just adding a few lights can greatly improve the atmosphere of the map, and contribute to make it more enjoyable.

I would like to apologize for my 2 previous posts being a bit too sarcastic than what I intended.

Upvote 0
Its really really rare that, at night, there isn't any light coming from the sky.

If you go to the roof youll see its not COMPLETE darkness... And if its in the middle of the night and whole sky is clouded, I doubt you would see anything if theres no light sources what so ever.

The sky wont give you light if there is no moon or stars visible, you know. I remember when I was in the army, you could see NOTHING in the middle of the night in the forest when you had no moon light and the sky was clouded. However, since there is a thunder storm effect on atm, it could be cool if they produced flashes of light occasionally. Im not sure how to do that tho...

The whole point of these maps is playing in complete darkness to make it scarier, if I start thinking "Oh a few flickering lights and flaming bodies here and there looks cool" I would just end up with Bedlam-like maps with low lighting but the flashlight isnt really required.

I could, ofcourse, create simple night versions of the maps too where you have a night sky with stars and all, so its not actually complete darkness, just low light. Thats probably what you are looking for here, and I agree it LOOKS nicer but it doesnt play out the way I wanted it.

EDIT: Oh and btw, I dont "just" remove lights, I fix the exploits and make some own additions in the maps IF necessary. I didnt do any visible additions to Offices because I think its rather solid and good map already, but I did create a new room in Biotics and Im also planning on doing something more about the U-room.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Add lightning effects! I can imagine that, complete darkness walking slowly with shotty, you here footsteps, turn around nothings there, you slowly starting backing up and then... A freaking fleshpound raping you with on of his fists! And it would be even cooler is just as that happened as a flash of lightning lit up the entire hallway, that my friend wud be awesome!

Upvote 0
I released a new version again, where I fixed the odd problem with zones and lighting in doorways and other places, as well as re-fixing an exploit. Also the v3 one seemed to crash our server when KEPT tried to test it, altho Im still convinced it must have been a corrupted upload not the map, lol.

Download: http://www.filefront.com/16390111/KF-OfficesLightsOut-v4.rar

Also check the first post for details.

Upvote 0
Yea i don't really understand the logic behind the flashlight... i mean what kind of retarded battery is it running on?

I love all the lights out maps just wish your flashlight stayed on longer.

Yeah lol, I might try taking a look at the code, maybe I can come up with something. I dont think simply increasing the battery life would be that hard?

But I doubt I have the time anyway.

Upvote 0
And one day YoYoBatty came along upon the inexperienced people at coding. HAR HAR HAR laughed YoYoBatty. You make me laugh, seeing you trying to figure out the solution for lights out maps! said YoYoBatty. I am the only one capable of doing such things! shouted YoYoBatty. And so YoYoBatty was a genius and came up with a solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And one day YoYoBatty came along upon the inexperienced people at coding. HAR HAR HAR laughed YoYoBatty. You make me laugh, seeing you trying to figure out the solution for lights out maps! said YoYoBatty. I am the only one capable of doing such things! shouted YoYoBatty. And so YoYoBatty was a genius and came up with a solution.

Ehh...

Im not THAT inexperienced, I might have not worked with UE much but Ive done some modding for games before (C&C Generals, W:ET, and some other less known games) its just a matter of will and time. After work Id rather relax and play a game than try to learn something like this, so that leaves only weekends if Im not doing anything else. Im sure I COULD do it if I had a few weeks off and simply started experimenting, but sadly I dont have so much freetime.

Upvote 0