• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

where are ranks saved?

As my game will be removed from the steam account and added afterwards, I suppose the ranks will be lost too :)
I have no idea if they store the ranks somewhere in the cloud, but in case they don't I want to manually backup them

well dont just take my word for it, but what i'm saying is I believe they are are indeed stored in the internet clouds.
I mean, if you install steam on a 2nd PC, the games that you 'own' are available to install to that machine because your steam ID indicates that you have bought them.
Likewise, your stats will be attached to that steam id - your unlocks, achievements and perks in all supported games.
To prove the theory, go to one of your steam freinds who's offline, go to his/her steam id page and view stats for any of the games played on the right hand side.
If you can access that info without that person even being online, it follows that it's not stored on his PC.
But as I say, don't take my word for it - wait for a few ppl to agree before deleting cos obviously there's a lot at stake.

Upvote 0
I bought Killing Floor together with L4D2 and afterwards opened a ticket at steam. There it was said that it is possible to exchange the game l4d2 with an uncut imported one (I live in Germany) and to reimburse the money for l4d2.
But it is for some reasons not possible to only reimburse the money for l4d2. Therefor I need to cancel the complete order (both games), convert l4d2 to uncut (already done) and afterwards buy KF again :)

Sounds weird, is definitely weird, but I can't change it ;) And the steam community support agent couldn't tell me for sure, if it will work to backup.
So I need to know which file to save :)

Upvote 0
I bought Killing Floor together with L4D2 and afterwards opened a ticket at steam. There it was said that it is possible to exchange the game l4d2 with an uncut imported one (I live in Germany) and to reimburse the money for l4d2.
But it is for some reasons not possible to only reimburse the money for l4d2. Therefor I need to cancel the complete order (both games), convert l4d2 to uncut (already done) and afterwards buy KF again :)

Sounds weird, is definitely weird, but I can't change it ;) And the steam community support agent couldn't tell me for sure, if it will work to backup.
So I need to know which file to save :)

sorry i presumed something was lost in translation and you ment you were going to reinstall killing floor - the situation you're in is unusual.

If i understand that effectivly Killing floor is being withdrawn from your account and then you wish to replace it you may be ok, as i suspect the stats you aquire are kept with your account details, not the game, - for instance i got some levels and acheivments during the free trail, and when i bought the game i continued where i left off.
One thing i'm pretty sure of - that information is not stored on your computer, only settings, binds and the like.

Upvote 0
Eh? NOW there is something lost in translation :D
Sure, I need to install the game again. Why I need to re-buy KF is stated above -.- Of course the situation is unusual but as said, I can't change it...

There is no partial repayment at Steam, so I only can do how described...

So, will I receive here any help or not?!

Upvote 0
I can tell you my experience...

I had tried KF in the 3 day free game time, I liked it but couldnt buy games at the time, so I deleted it off my list then after along time I got it and was surprised to see my nickname and perk lvls (only lvl 2 or something) were there.

So I think that as long as the account your buying the game with is the same you bought and played with the first time you should find your perks still there, but ofcourse not 100% sure.

favorites, game settings etc I think are in the game files and can be backed up.

Upvote 0
hm thats really logical :D

they forward me to this board and you back to steam support :D

translated:

I am sorry, but with this problem only the technical Support of this game is able to help you

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Normally you would never have to re-buy a game from steam, and as far as I'm aware once you've bought it, they can't be returned. So this is a special case that Steam are doing for you. Hence why noone knows what will happen :)

I would guess that your achievements progress is saved to your Steam ID, and I would assume the same of perk levels. I severely doubt that Killing Floors perk progress will require checking the game key in order to save progress, so in theory regardless of if you get a new copy of Killing Floor or not, as long as you are using the same steam account you should still have your perk progress and achievements left in tact. Its like trying to open someone elses saved game on a different copy, it doesn't make a difference what CD key is used as long as the version is the same.

I would just buy it and see tbh, I'm about 80% confident you will still have your achievements and perk progression.

Upvote 0