• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Speaking as a former Marine, I can tell you that clip is used a slang all of the time for pistol magazines; hence the context I spoke of. Is it technically correct? Not really. That is why it is slang.

Hate to jump in on a thread with a 24-hour ****storm warning in effect, but I figured I'd nip this in the knackers right here and now. (Not necessarily directed at nutterbutter):

Military personnel are among the worst people to ask about firearms terminology, knowledge, or advice of any sort. Unless they're gun nuts in civilian life they will have almost zero experience with non-issue firearms, and the majority nothing more than their issue rifle (IE, grunt + sidearm = dangerous levels of ineptitude). A good soldier knows how to clean and service their weapon, but an exceptional one would be able to tell an M16A4 bolt from an AKM bolt, and jesus I wish I were exaggerating.

Many aren't even very good shots; in the Canadian forces infantrymen aren't often given more than 100 or so rounds per YEAR for target practice once they've finished infantry training (which doesn't exactly produce expert marksmen either).

Anyway, a bit of a rant, but that's why I get my firearms knowledge from paranoid obsessives that live off in the woods with dozens of borderline-illegal firearms and smell constantly of Hoppes, and not reservists that fired a string from a C9 during BMQ and declare themselves an expert on terminal ballistics and gunsmithing.

Also, there's no such thing as a "former marine" ;)

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
I would like to clear this up, as other, more influential and authoritative figures in this community failed to do.

A clip is this:
garand_clips.jpg

A magazine is this:
4981c553ae030_97865n.jpg

The Scar-H is the SCAR with the 20 (ingame up to 25) round magazine, it is used as a sniper rifle as the Mk17, and the version of the SCAR rifle you seem to be talking about is the SCAR-L, which is chambered for 5.56x45mm NATO. The SCAR-H is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO.

scar20070111.jpg

Now, this last image shows the difference in the SCAR-H and SCAR-L

Thank you for playing.

Upvote 0
I really didn't want to do this but "plasma weapons use a small nuclear reactor or fuel cell or other type of advanced energy storage device to power an electromagnetic accelerator that fires a stream, pulse or toroid of plasma (i.e. very hot, very energetic excited matter)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_rifle

Noobs.

LOL don't trust Wikipedia... i could have write that!

Upvote 0
You are thinking of "ex-Marine." There is no such thing as an ex-Marine. "Former Marine" is the correct term.

A second point is that you kept mentioning "soldier" in your example. A Marine is not a soldier. Nor do we want to be.

Oh, and Marine is always capitalized.

He is referring to the concept of being a marine for life, regardless of being a retired veteran. Only Americans are allowed to do this. :D

Upvote 0
He is referring to the concept of being a marine for life, regardless of being a retired veteran.

Yes, once a Marine, always a Marine. But there are no ex-Marines. There are active and reserve Marines and there are former Marines.

It just seemed ironic that this guy is lecturing me on military terms and then makes a whopper of a rookie mistake.

And again, Marine is always capitalized.

Only Americans are allowed to do this. :D

I'm not sure what you mean.

Upvote 0
Doesn't a court martial make you an ex-Marine? I highly doubt someone court martialled and given a jail sentence is gonna still be considered a marine...

There are all sorts of situations, but if we didn't revoke Oswald and Whitman along with every other criminal who was a Marine, then we generally aren't gonna revoke any other Marine's status. Sometimes I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Upvote 0
I would like to clear this up, as other, more influential and authoritative figures in this community failed to do.

A clip is this:
garand_clips.jpg

A magazine is this:
4981c553ae030_97865n.jpg

The Scar-H is the SCAR with the 20 (ingame up to 25) round magazine, it is used as a sniper rifle as the Mk17, and the version of the SCAR rifle you seem to be talking about is the SCAR-L, which is chambered for 5.56x45mm NATO. The SCAR-H is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO.

scar20070111.jpg

Now, this last image shows the difference in the SCAR-H and SCAR-L

Thank you for playing.
thanks for the pics of the scars

Upvote 0