• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Story Of Mare Nostrum from my point of view

Susi

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2008
Finland
The story of Mare Nostrum from my point of view

Now as the life of Ro:Ost with all it mods is running out. Its time to summary some thoughts about modding
Red Orchestra and working on mod called Mare Nostrum. In all points, it’s really important to remember that I tell the things so that I have felt them and it doesn’t mean that things really actually were that way. However the story can’t be told without telling what I did in modding scene before that.

So I started modding in end of 2004 on Green Devils, which was a really small team and I ended up quite fast to be a lead modeler, well without a team anyways. However we were making first ww2 single-player game from German point of view. And even that we were really un-experienced team we were able to build up a quite a hype. As even Steam ranked our mod on its news to group of 13 mods which people should wait to HL2. Of course we didn’t had enough skills to make it work in real and all we got was just lot of un-textured 3d models, but we tried our best and I spent lot of nights with Royal Blackwatch to trying make some weapons work in-game and things like that. And well, everything ended up to one data crash where we lost some important data like hundreds of photos Royal took from battlefields in Crete.

Thompson2.jpg

(Thompson M1, first last textured object i made in GD, Logo on the corner is made by: Madphisto, one of the best
HL2-mod logos i say)

It was time to say goodbye to our fans, but even that didn’t went quite well as we released our soundtrack which our newest member had made. However it turned out that the whole soundtrack was ripped from some other game. (I’m still mad to you about this)

However after that I got lot of models, without any use and I joined to Resistance And Liberation team where they put me in to a “Boot Camp” , I think they do that to all new comers. Well they had already almost everything important modeled, even that I thought that they have remade most of that stuff now. So they didn’t need my models and I made some tables and chairs to their mod, don’t know if any actually ended up to game. And what that boot camp means, well it’s a place where you need to report once in week what you have done and if you haven’t, why? And in same time you don’t know anything about the progress inside the team. So I think it was too unimportant role to my ego and I left Resistance And Liberation quite fast.

bedroom.jpg

In same time I started to play Red Orchestra and was quite soon addicted and started to make some research about it mods. So I came to Mare Nostrum forum and promised all my models to them. Then I cutted down some polyes to make them fit from HL2 to RO. However if i understood right nobody didn’t had a time to do anything for them so nothing really happened to my models. And it still took half year or something before I was really healed from Green Devils end and started to really work 3d-thigs again. First I just wanted to texture Vickers tank, but soon I somehow ended up to make more and more things and were totally inside the team behind Mare Nostrum, without even thinking in any point to actually join to team. That was somewhere near Christmas 2007.

The first Beta 1.0 was released few months later and it already got all those key elements our mod needed. There was work from many different members, and it was made by quite large team I believe. Even that I don’t exactly know who have made and what. And it got two things which made our mod as good as it is, Tobruk (Rex) and Bardia (Xendance). Tobruk was and still is best RO-map which I know. It’s playable with almost any player count and goes really tight almost every time, but still it doesn’t freeze up to one gap for multiple minutes.

mnopenbeta.jpg

Bardia cant bee compared to RO-classics like Basovka or Krasnyi Oktjabr, but is still one of the best custom maps, as only better one which I know is Foy from DH. So we had minimum amount of new content and 2 good maps and some playable maps which made 1.0 really good start.

However, after first release our team was anymore a just few guys as before I came to team, part of team had just left the Mare Nostrum and took lot of things with them. If I understood right they later started a new mod which we know as a Darkest Hour. At least if you go to take a look to our media gallery and watch closely some our old models, you can notice that they are playable in DH. As I came too late to see myself what happened I dont know exactly what made one team to split up in 2. And I can’t say more than probably MN just wanted to concentrate to Brits/Aussies and DH to Yankees.

Of course it doesn’t ever go that way, it’s always more about chemistry between people, but it’s also always polite to tell people something else.
Anyways you were still able to sense those doors which were just splashed closed and on those next years no-one really didn’t try to open them from MN or DH. Even that DH doesn’t actually got anymore those members which left from Mare Nostrum.

So after that almost everything was made by 8 dude with a really important support of Xendance who went to army, but was still able to help sometimes in mapping. And those 8 dudes were Null who made some beautiful static objects to Crete. Grollo, who was in charge on history things, and didn’t know much about making computer graphics, but still textured those Italian characters. Andrei313 , who created our Italian characters and all characters of CC-mod in same time. UncleDrax, who coded almost everything in Mare Nostrum and built up lot of new feature and teached me to use UnrealEd. Sam, who got even problems to render some models to Tunis Telegraph first, but who later made a two maps (Crete, Ancona Approach) to Mare Nostrum and kept our publicity up.

Shot00026.jpg

(Stuka on the air doing some bobardment, sadly it didnt never worked out online, but in training mode)

Waddler who built up an army of tin cup tanks, I don’t know like who he was in his early life, but you can count those tanks in MN, they are almost all made by him. And if he got too much time he made some animations as we didn’t got animator at all.

Well on that time I first learned to unwrap and texture things and then made all those Italian weapons and fixed some British and then animated so many of them as I had time. Sadly I hadn’t time to animate every one of them, so many didn’t made to in-game. Made my first character model (FJ) based on some old character model and got headache from that Karma Error, which DH got too when they made their first characters I believe as always when I tried to find conclusion to that from forums, I found post made by DH member where they needed the answer too. After that I started to make my first map, which went quite well, even that I don’t know how balanced it is as we didn’t got anymore any testing team on those times.

Also I need to mention Mr. Moe who came to team on its last year and also made his first map. And was able to make a epic-scale tank map.

So even that our mod can look pro as a mod, it was made by total amateurs. And that’s how I would like to it be remembered. As a milestone which amateurs were able to set up with hard work, good team spirit and trust to things what we were doing.

But still Mare Nostrum didn’t came popular enough even that I think it was really good to being a mod. It reached its top numbers of players in our first steam release and was played next few months with full servers, until it reached again its typical status, having players only in fight-nights. So we must have made something terribly wrong. And that was that we made a mod which we our self would like to play. We didn’t never thought would that feature or content be a popular, we just thought would it be cool in our own eyes.

As first we need to think which nation quite clearly runs Red Orchestra in Europe, and it’s quite easy question, the answer is Germany and after that comes Poland I believe. Then maybe France, and Scandinavian countries together. And even that people like to play with different countries I believe that they are always most interested to play on side of their own country.

So what we gave to German community, well one tank and in the end FJ’s. Which was quite a huge surprise to me that it didn’t made any hype. Yes it was my idea, or at least I was the guy who mostly pushed our mod to move on Crete as it was the place where the Green Devils mod were aiming years ago and I wanted that my models would finally get in home.

But no, it was like a empty well. And I still wonder why as I have seen lot of talking about FJ’s in game forums. And I trusted that it would bring on some German reality units to our forum as it was filled only by British ones.
However it needs to be still mentioned that we didn’t gave almost anything to German community.

So the Poland is next one on the list and what we gave to them, well actually nothing as they made their Polish voice commands by them self and we were able to add “Polish forces” in game as they used Allied gears and uniforms in late war. However Polish were not so interested about just Polish voice commands so it didn’t had any effect to our player volume.

So where we spent most of our time? Well to Aussies, who live in other side of world and not sure if they are able to play properly even in North American servers. To Brits, which is a logical choose even that they don’t have so huge RO-community as you could think of from their population. And to Italians, and that is the biggest mistake any mod team can do. No there haven’t been many World War 2 games which got Italians, and trust me there is a reason for that. We built up a huge bunch of Italian units, modeled all needed weapons, and gave them tanks. And that was more than Brits and Aussies get together. But did I was able to see even one Italian unit in our forum, NO.

YouTube - MN 1.4 Italian Weapons Preview
But that wasn’t the only thing. Also, I and Waddler share the same affection to those small tin cups which can be barely called as tanks and we added not so known tanks like Vickers, Stuart and M13/40. And it really turned out that people were not so interested about them as they are about huge King Tigers, JagdPanthers and ISU-152s.
So we made a mod which no-one was so interested about, expect ourself. And I believe that was the biggest issue why we ended up to same situation with Carpathian Crosses.

In same time Darkest Hour did made good chooses what they add in-game, and what they do not. And even that I would say they were quite far from our quality in the start they reached that quality quite fast on models and textures. Also they were able to build up an huge mapping team or community to being a mod team. So even that we got 2 good maps and lot of bad ones they got lot of average ones and one good one which made game actually playable for hours as our game was just playable in one hour rolls as playing Tobruk and Bardia sequentially.

So if you are planning to make a mod take a look to games clan community, and don’t underestimate it as a one clan player play ten times more than typical player and one clan plays as much as 100 players. So only with few active clans you can keep your mod up and running.

Also I need to say that TWI boys did heck of good job on supporting its mods and I believe that any other company in the world couldn’t do it that way. Also huge thanks to PzDF for running those Fight Nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: [fll.fi] Tuomainen
As you may know, a picture says more than thousand words.
Me at 4 am when we locked down our first release:

Kuva013.jpg

Fun times, I'm serious. Though it would've been nice if more people played it, but I knew it would never get such bigass attention like.. let's say Forgotten Hope 2.

PS. Don't expect lengthy essays from me, I'm not much of a writer type of a guy. And I don't really remember those times either :|

Upvote 0
I know that face, Xen.

I joined what was then called "Burning Sands" in... 2006? That seems really long ago, maybe too long. I had just moved on from a HL2 zombie mod that wasn't going anywhere, but I was still looking to potentially waste my prime teenage years in front of a computer screen / achieve fame and glory.

Anyway, "Mare Nostrum" happened - teaching me weapons animation, the art of texturing, and most of all 'patience' via trying to keep mappers happy. Faced with one day paying the bills, I chose to further develop my 3D skills and acquire a degree in architecture, just as the US housing market crashed around me.

I'm moving on, but still spend some lonely hours cruising along various desert terrains on the motorb0rk... pulling wheelies against the sunset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I for one applaud all you of guys who spend HOURS, DAYS, and MONTHS of your free time learning, testing, relearning and working hard toward a common goal. I've enjoyed myself with the fruits of you labor. I know many others did too. I hope that in the end, the time and effort you guys put forth enriched your lives and was something you'll look back on with at least some degree of pride and satisfaction. Its one thing to get paid to produce, its quite another to grind it out for free and stick with it to fruition.

Sadly (I think) by the time any of the mods came out, RO was beginning to dwindle. Though it arrived a little later, DH has had a little longer success and run perhaps because it is a mod that appealed to a larger and somewhat less discriminating audience. It certainly helped fill a void for those looking for a more realistic American/British vs. Germany encounter.

I found Mare Nortstrum and CC both extremely fun to play and thank you all for your efforts.

Floyd

Upvote 0
It's mostly one big blur to me. Many people came and went and came back again. There were seemingly endless conversations on IRC, periods of enormous work and periods of nearly no work. Because our team was never very large at any one time the arrival of a new member always got me fired up to work. When someone left I became lethargic. A word to anyone looking to do mod work: If you want to be a gold-plated must-have mod team member learn to animate and learn to do it well. Good animators are a precious commodity.

Everyone in a mod team has to check their ego. No one person's work will make or break an entire mod so just get over how important you think you are. You have to be willing to give and accept thoughtful criticism without taking it personally. The Mare Nostrum team really was a team. We were hard on each other at times but everyone had a say. No one person dominated the conversation or shouted down anyone else. We were quick to criticize and equally quick to praise.

When a contingent left to start Darkest Hour I had mixed feelings about it. The consensus on these forums seemed to be that the 3 main mods (CC, DH, MN) should all work together but that was just unrealistic. We were on different mod teams because those teams suited our interests. I for one am simply tired of the European Theater. North Africa however was something new. I enjoyed it so much because I learned so much about a part of WW2 that I wasn't very familiar with.

There were a couple times when I thought Mare Nostrum would never make it to release. We got frustrated, distracted, annoyed, bored...all the emotions that go along with any heavy undertaking. Somehow we regrouped, refocused and pulled it together. That's what makes me most proud of the Mare Nostrum team. We all came together to put out what I think is a solid mod, especially considering that none of us are pros at this. We're a bunch of hobbyists, gamers and part-timers that put in full-time effort. Go over to http://www.moddb.com and look at the number of mods that ever make it to a non-beta release. There aren't many compared to the number of mods listed. Only one of them can say they were the first non-source mod to be release over Steam. ;) To that end we owe a huge thanks to Tripwire and all of the support they provided. Without Ostfront there wouldn't have been anything to mod. Without Tripwire we'd have never been released on Steam.

I also owe a huge thanks to the other members of the Mare Nostrum team. You really made it all worth while. The hours I spent in front of this keyboard were hours well spent. I hope to one day get the chance to buy each of you a beer and sit talking about the "old days" working on Mare Nostrum. Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It really always saddened me that there wasn't more support for MN, I mean didn't MN get a steam release before DH??? I always felt that the MN felt more like RO than DH did and because of that I liked it better. Aside from a few maps being buggy here and there, overall I really loved MN the most out of the three mods. Could never figure out why people, mostly the europeans didn't keep MN populated more. With the brits, aussies, then the italians, polish and german fjs, just about every major european country was represented and like Susi pointed out, you'd think all these communities would fall in love with this mod. Instead it just didn't happen.

Honestly, the only reason why I think DH succeeded where MN did not was because of the 29thID. MN never had any well organized LARGE clans or realism units that devoted themselves to the game (no offense to all the smaller units that followed the game). Because of that, servers always had to be seeded and there were never enough diehards to consistantly fill servers everyday. DH had/has the 29thID and 200+ american kids who like the way the unit follows military organization and it makes them feel like their really playing "army". That gets those kids in those servers to keep at least one full 24/7. Give them credit, their strategy worked.

It's really a shame. I for one would love to see the final "RO Gold Edition" released that incoorperated RO with all the three mods, CC, MN, DH and allowed for easy sever setup to run maps from all 4. Pie in the sky dream it is, I can still dream nonetheless.

Anyway, it'd be great if the MN team decided to continue their work into ROHOS. When the game comes out and activity and player numbers go through the roof, the mod would have a much better chance pulling in some more players.

Upvote 0
...RO with all the three mods, CC, MN, DH and allowed for easy sever setup to run maps from all 4. Pie in the sky dream...

I've had the same pie in the sky dream. It would be fun if servers were able to offer play from RO as well as any of the mods. I think it would be fun to switch it up from the East Front to N. Africa to Normandy without having to move from an RO server to a MN server or to a DH server.

Upvote 0
To me it was always little bit sad that those organisations were split from each other. It feels like they want to compete each other who's better. It's a pity that you can't play all 3 mods and RO in 1 game instead of being all selfish not willing to share any of the tanks or weapons that could be used maybe on some eastfront scenarios for the sake of whole RO community. Yes I know they worked for it so hard. But I believe that if everything was joined together as more people play RO, the more mods will benefit from it. If RO is dead, then eventually mods will die too... By having all together it would keep it alive longer. That's a trouble with mods, they worry too much that if they give stuff to share will makes their mod less famous. I personally don't think so, yes maybe in the begining mod will be pretty popular, but in long term run it's leading to cracking entire society thus affecting its mod being famous. And eventually all gonna die out... Instead of keeping it all alive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mare Nostrum always was the number one mod for me.
I liked most of its maps, the models looked very good to me as well, but as said above the maps really did feel more like RO then DH's maps.
For some reason i never could get into DH. Maybe it was because it was France and Europe all over again and i was tired of seeing American soldiers in ANY game, maybe it was the map design that was less interesting, probably a combination of the two.
But after playing RO for several years already my playtime began to dwindle.
MN gave me something fresh to play and i loved it for that, but as the players dried up, so did my RO playing time.
Right now i'm getting back into playing RO again since it's still the nr.1 online shooter ever if you ask me, and i still wish MN had more players.

Thanks for all your hard work, because i certainly do appreciate it.
The biggest part of what makes RO great is the passion that oozes from every pore of the game.
It's when TWI members quit day jobs to work on a mod full time, it's when modders like yourself work through the night to get us something new to enjoy.
And through that passion you have gained my respect, because you worked for a dream and realised it.
Well done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To me it was always little bit sad that those organisations were split from each other. It feels like they want to compete each other who's better. It's a pity that you can't play all 3 mods and RO in 1 game instead of being all selfish not willing to share any of the tanks or weapons that could be used maybe on some eastfront scenarios for the sake of whole RO community. Yes I know they worked for it so hard. But I believe that if everything was joined together as more people play RO, the more mods will benefit from it. If RO is dead, then eventually mods will die too... By having all together it would keep it alive longer. That's a trouble with mods, they worry too much that if they give stuff to share will makes their mod less famous. I personally don't think so, yes maybe in the begining mod will be pretty popular, but in long term run it's leading to cracking entire society thus affecting its mod being famous. And eventually all gonna die out... Instead of keeping it all alive.

sadly it's true, egos are destructive. having the split between all three mods created 3 good mods sure, but they COULD have all worked together to create 1 completely awesome mod that strengthened the community instead of fracturing it. now we've got 2 dead mods in CC and MN :( and DH will only last as long as long as ROOST does. HOS comes out and sadly all the mods will be dead unless they continue into the new game. unless of course the 29thID stays around to have a diehard 200 member DH community :rolleyes:

all that work, for what? terrible shame if these mods don't continue on.

Upvote 0
US players suffer from the "My grandpappy was in such regiment" syndrome. Understandable, but....history buffs, reenactors, plain old American patriots prefer the western front, European theater. Your problem is purely setting,and American biases. Even the American RO community is subservient to DH. Not so with the Euros...they seem to prefer Ost.

Upvote 0
sadly it's true, egos are destructive. having the split between all three mods created 3 good mods sure, but they COULD have all worked together to create 1 completely awesome mod that strengthened the community instead of fracturing it. now we've got 2 dead mods in CC and MN :( and DH will only last as long as long as ROOST does. HOS comes out and sadly all the mods will be dead unless they continue into the new game. unless of course the 29thID stays around to have a diehard 200 member DH community :rolleyes:

all that work, for what? terrible shame if these mods don't continue on.

It really didn't have much to do with ego's as far as Mare Nostrum went. We actually worked with CC on a couple of weapons, sharing models/textures on the Italian weapons that crossed over. However as we focused on different theatres there was not really so much we could collaborate on. Andrei313 worked on both mods during his time, started on MN and worked for CC later on because he was a Romanian himself. This never caused any conflicts between the mods and he did some excellent work for both parties.

As you probably know DH was formed by a few breakaway developers from the MN team. Our ethos from the start was add in British forces to begin along with Italian as chronolgically it made sense in North Africa. Then when they had been established we would add American units and continue map scenarios up into Italy and the med. However a few devs could not wait for us to add in American forces and so decided to create a western front mod so they could get them in straight away. We actually did give DH our British webbing for example to use, however none of their work in the early days was up to our high standards which is why we neither asked or used any of it in MN.

Since those early days most of those original members no longer work on the mod but I think it is far too late in the day to try and merge the mods into one game, its simply not worth the effort for the reward it would bring.

Anyway, lets hope the RO mod community learns from its mistakes ready for RO2. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't say the europeans prefer the east front. It's just the way TWI made the game and represented the east front there. They gave it so much character and made it seem more life like, if you compare it to CoD games for example.

This is completely untrue.

Watch this:

YouTube - Call Of Duty Russian Stalingrad

Call of Duty may not be authentic....and it's certainly not the best videogame ever made on the subject of the Eastern front.....but one thing it is utterly overflowing with is character. Everything about that scene is immersive....and I've never even played it, I'm only talking about watching the scene.

In fact, I don't even think that Red Orchestra is all that rich in personality. It is rich in authenticity, and this is why history buffs love it. It is rich in extremely deep, compelling gameplay, which is why some of us love it.

And the fact of the matter is that American audiences still favor DH over RO. Why? Your point doesn't help to explain that. If it was true that RO had more character than Call of Duty, then more American players should be playing RO relative to Call of Duty....

Plus....in what way is DH deficient in character compared to RO?

Upvote 0
US players suffer from the "My grandpappy was in such regiment" syndrome. Understandable, but....history buffs, reenactors, plain old American patriots prefer the western front, European theater. Your problem is purely setting,and American biases. Even the American RO community is subservient to DH. Not so with the Euros...they seem to prefer Ost.

I'm American and I prefer the Eastern Front. It is just so much more interesting to me. I mean, we already have enough Western Front games. You can only land in Normandy so many times before it gets boring. Add to that all the tv shows and movies about the subject, and it is nice to have a subject I don't already know everything about. With RO, it's always "Well what the hell is THAT crazy Russian thing?", so I look it up on wikipedia and learn some interesting stuff. Same with the British and Italian stuff in MN. That isn't to say that the Western Front wasn't important or interesting; it has just become sort of a clich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm American and I prefer the Eastern Front. It is just so much more interesting to me. I mean, we already have enough Western Front games. You can only land in Normandy so many times before it gets boring. Add to that all the tv shows and movies about the subject, and it is nice to have a subject I don't already know everything about. With RO, it's always "Well what the hell is THAT crazy Russian thing?", so I look it up on wikipedia and learn some interesting stuff. Same with the British and Italian stuff in MN. That isn't to say that the Western Front wasn't important or interesting; it has just become sort of a clich

Upvote 0