• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russian AT rifle highly underpowered?

Facepalm

Panzerfaust can penetrate 200mm @ 90 degrees

considering the velocity of the PF, which is under 50 meters per second, you have to arc it like a mortar shell, which means the orientation of the projectile when it hits the armor plate is going to be far less than the angle of the plate to the horizontal....you're going to get penetration virtually equal to the 90 degree penetration value of the faust (again, 200mm).

The frontal armor of an IS-2 is only 120mm at 60 degrees. Even if you hit the frontal plate at point blank with horizontal orientation, the Panzerfaust will easily penetrate in real life. The side armor is only 90mm at 15 degrees, which means the Panzerfaust will obliterate IS-2 with a side shot.

A Panzerfaust can penetrate the frontal armor of any tank in World War 2, with the exception of maybe super heavy tanks/destroyers like Jagdtiger, and destroy the crew in a single shot. The blast actually releases hot gases at 8000 meters per second in a concentrated area, which generally speaking tends to kill people.

So realistically the faust should kill any tank in Ost with one shot from any angle.

i'm sorry, you're perfectly right. :eek:

Upvote 0
Crusher said:
A panzerfaust might render a tank useless with one shot, that doesn't mean the tank would explode, or am I wrong?

When hit with HEAT rounds the tank usually caught fire which eventually brewed it up however that aside if you lived through that you be a very lucky man as the HEAT round would typically kill everyone in the tank as well as fuse the controls, warp hatches and doors, and like I stated cause a tank fire/explosion (ammunition and fuel).

BlackLabel said:
I love the ptard. its the only reason i play pubby ogladow nowadays..or berezina...:D getting called "cheater" for knowing the "secrets" of ptard is just priceless...
Secrets?! Really? Guys do not make it sound harder than it is ...like you have some kind of skill or secret ninjutsu power because you don't it is way to ease to use
if it was any easier to use it would shoot itself. All you do is aim and shoot boom hes dead in 1-2 hits. There are people who are new to the game and yet even these guys can still 1 shot my panzer on RO-Berezina from long range "Skilled weapon" if you want call it that I better get an achievement every time I get out of bed in the morning which is 100x more difficult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also maybeh worth to mention..if you want to get good with weapons like ptrd/mg ALLWAYS bind the "throw weapon away" key to something near..like a spare button on the mouse. As much as i love hipshooting the mg ,as ptrd the option to get to the pistol out as quick as possible saved me noumerous times...

Wow I can't believe I never thought of that! Thanks. Could be useful when sniping too.

Upvote 0
A panzerfaust might render a tank useless with one shot, that doesn't mean the tank would explode, or am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong.

HEAT perforation generates behind armor fragmentation from both the residual jet (that portion of the jet not consumed in advancing a crater through the armor) and rear face spall from the basal armor. Wheather or not the vehicle catches fire is purely a function of what the behind armor fragmentation penetrates within the vehicle. Most cones of this period were not constructed from pyrophoric materials so there isnt much likelyhood of a spontaneous flash fire within the confines of a vehicle following perforation by a HEAT jet. Crew or Engine compartment fires result if hyper-velocity fragments from the jet or high velocity rear face spall perforate cartridges or high explosive shells (main gun ammunition, grenades, signal flares, small arms ammo, etc) with sufficient kinetic energy (KE) than either a propellant fire will result or a low order detonation of the HE shell\shells can occur; Or vehicle fires are also possible as a result of high or hyper velocity spall entering fuel cells in the case of an engine compartment hit. But the same is possible with kinetic energy projectiles as well as HEP\HESH or EFP for that matter.

HEAT of this period (WWII'ish) was far less a vehicle killer in terms of behind armor effectivness than either full caliber KE projectiles (AP, APC, APBC, APCBC etc) or sub-caliber KE projectiles (APDS, APCR, HVAP etc) -- for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
the thing is each side has to have anti tank weapons. both sides have satchels which are equally effective. the germans have the panzerfausts that are beasts even for the most rookie player. the russians need something that's roughly equal to the panzerfaust, so they are given the ptrd. since the ptrd in reality isn't anywhere need as powerful as a panzerfaust, i can accept the game altering the power to try and balance out the weapons. is it perfectly realistic? no, but for balance's sake, it's needed.

I always prefer realism to game balance myself. The Russians simply had nothing comparable to the Panzerfaust, that's just how it was. I would rather see the PTRD made to be realistic, and give the Russians the RPG-40, RPG-43, or RPG-6, in addition to it. The RPG-43 especially was used in large numbers by the Russians, and was their primary infantry AT weapon throughout most of the war (and was even still being used up into the 50's and 60's by other countries).

Upvote 0
This doesnt usually happen matey. Usually 3 MAX!
Crap, seems it was a Panzer V not a Panzer IV. Still, surely i should have been able to destroy it faster?
Is there a certain area to aim at? I made sure not to be aiming at a sloped angle, since the first shot ricocheted.

Tried this again on a StuG III, shooting the side and rear armour, and it took 8 shots to destroy. Took out the tread on shot 4-5, engine caught fire on shot 6. I seriously hope it's just because i suck...I'm still pretty new to all this :/

Upvote 0