• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How about in addition to Perks, the actual characters we play as have bonuses

TK_421

Jul 4, 2009
I was just thinking about what could be done to open up the game to new possibilities. There really aren't too many things that could be done with another perk. You could always add more weapons, I mean the more the merrier. But I was thinking if the characters did something other than look different, maybe that would tweak the game enough to renew the vigor of some of the players who have become somewhat bored.

no.

that's unfair to the people who didn't/don't want to buy the character packs.

Supposing that the characters did have abilities, people who didn't buy the packs would still have SOME choices, just not as many.
Your reason is not good enough. A matter of unfairness over what? $2? Is that really going to break anyone's bank? Especially someone who cares enough about Killing Floor and has the free time to play it?

I think that this would be a good idea. It would shake up the game. Of course, we already have enough balance issues with the perk system. (And people who level up quickly on it) :D

This is a good suggestion for KF2. It would make people buy more character pack DLC if it actually affected gameplay.

Upvote 0
This has been suggested before and in addition to being divisive and skewed for people with money, certain character choices would effect perk and weapon choice either in a restrictive way (you would only play this way because it is so good) or in a broken way. Now, not only do you have to check the various weapon and perk combination, you also have to take into account the different players you have which would increase the possibilities somewhere on the order of 15 fold.

Upvote 0
Supposing that the characters did have abilities, people who didn't buy the packs would still have SOME choices, just not as many.
Your reason is not good enough. A matter of unfairness over what? $2? Is that really going to break anyone's bank? Especially someone who cares enough about Killing Floor and has the free time to play it?

I think that this would be a good idea. It would shake up the game. Of course, we already have enough balance issues with the perk system. (And people who level up quickly on it) :D

This is a good suggestion for KF2. It would make people buy more character pack DLC if it actually affected gameplay.

and, what makes me care less about killing floor than someone who abuses the spec mutators w/ cheap maps to level their perks like you?

i care about kf. i love the freaking game. however i'm not about to spend more money on a bunch of downloads with characters, i'm nevr going to see.

any gameplay-changing content should be free, and this stupid customising stuff should be all you have to pay for.

Upvote 0
and, what makes me care less about killing floor than someone who abuses the spec mutators w/ cheap maps to level their perks like you?

i care about kf. i love the freaking game. however i'm not about to spend more money on a bunch of downloads with characters, i'm nevr going to see.

any gameplay-changing content should be free, and this stupid customising stuff should be all you have to pay for.

well if im correct TWI saids something like, "We wont change game play" or something like and only add things like characters and stuff :O. BUT im not TWI :p so i cant say what TWI says and be sure :cool:

Upvote 0
I'd like to make a few things clear about this suggestion. I love this game very much. It's likely my favorite game of all time. When I say I'd like something added, that is all. I don't give a fig about what others may construe to being 'an expensive/cheap' addition to the game. I play mostly by myself or with my friends at a computer cafe. I'm not real worried about the "cheapness" of others or the manner in which they level their characters. IF there was some sort of advantage in some tier unknown to me that IS based on how 'good/cheap' you are, then your arguments would be valid. But there isn't and they aren't. I just want more out of my game. I HAVE purchased all the character packs. And guess what? It cost me a whole whopping $4.00! That's less than some burgers at a fast food joint. So if you're really into this game, instead of whining about how "unfair or cheap or expensive" something is, man up and pay for it or let others surpass your miserliness. Deal with it. If I want this and you don't then you better have a better ACTUAL reason as to why it shouldn't be.

Upvote 0
@TK_421
What exactly you are saying seems convoluted because you use cheap twice with, it seems like, two meanings. Regardless, when adding content it is a good rule of thumb to limit purchasable content to stuff that doesn't give players and inherent advantage. While there may be some people who purchase it anyway it is highly likely to scare off other consumers worried they will have to keep buying in to not fall behind. For a company like TWI, their fan base is important because they have not established themselves as a huge developer group or publisher and need reliable consumers to produce for. But even most big companies follow that rule.
As I stated earlier it also affect the balance of the game and could unbalance the game quickly unless extensive testing is done (which is expensive for TWI).

Upvote 0

Whoa, hold on buddy. What makes you think I give a damn about how you feel? I don't care about your emotions. If you want to slander me, go ahead, but it doesn't make a difference in this thread.

You made a claim about this being unfair. I provided some REASONS why I felt that was untrue. All you can do is hysterically spout your opinion without any logic or reason behind it at all:

I fail to see anything that supports the previous statement.

Upvote 0
I fail to see anything that supports the previous statement.
If you don't understand the issue people have with paying for gameplay modifying content, particularly one that provides advantages to the people who buy it, then you have obviously never played a trading card game. In many cases a new set will include more powerful or more diverse cards so that people will actually buy it. The same thing could be extended to kf. Think if you had to pay to unlock tier three weapons and also for every level for every perk. Then they release tier four through twenty and perk levels seven through one hundred. If they start charging, when do they stop? If people started to think that TWI was doing this to milk the players they could easily alienate potential future customers, en mass.

Upvote 0
If you don't understand the issue people have with paying for gameplay modifying content, particularly one that provides advantages to the people who buy it, then you have obviously never played a trading card game. In many cases a new set will include more powerful or more diverse cards so that people will actually buy it. The same thing could be extended to kf. Think if you had to pay to unlock tier three weapons and also for every level for every perk. Then they release tier four through twenty and perk levels seven through one hundred. If they start charging, when do they stop? If people started to think that TWI was doing this to milk the players they could easily alienate potential future customers, en mass.

Well said brother! :)o i barely know you)

Only idiots ever release super powerful **** for a cost and most games that do that suck ***. Just saying, Maple story a MMORPG most people hate actually released just skins and is very popular, now most FPSs that do the same exact thing except with better guns etc. lose a lot of customers too the next FPS
I believe what you said is correct but i think of it like this the customers will stay. but once the new FPS comes out they quit or the new MMORPG they quit.

Upvote 0
Think if you had to pay to unlock tier three weapons and also for every level for every perk. Then they release tier four through twenty and perk levels seven through one hundred. If they start charging, when do they stop?

I understand your parallel. I also think that you're exaggerating a bit to prove your point. Paying for Tier 20 weapons? Perk level 100?

You're employing a slippery-slope type argument. The matter at hand focuses on Character Specific Bonuses, not payable weapon/perk upgrades.

You ask "When do they stop?". They stop at Character Specific Bonuses, not any of the other absurd stuff you mentioned.

If people started to think that TWI was doing this to milk the players they could easily alienate potential future customers, en mass.

TWI's ultimate goal, besides creating an entertaining game, is to profit.
If they introduced character bonuses, it wouldn't alienate customers, it might attract them. "Hey look, I can pick a character that has an ability I like!"

I really don't like this issue of DLC that's been attached to character abilities. As someone suggested, TWI could give all the downloadable characters the same abilities as the normal ones.
I just want to see some choice, much like COD Modern Warfare's perks. One character might be faster, another might claim ammo from dead bodies, another may reload faster... idk.
I just hate how some people REFUSE to even consider something new without picking out a million problems.

Upvote 0
Well certainly if it is TWI personally I would not expect them to start milking me for money but most of the people who use the forums are highly interested in KF and are willing to pay for content. While it would help to spread the abilities among the regular and dlc characters (heck you could just choose them regardless of character) but you still are putting extra work for TWI to do for, why I think, is very little gameplay change. Mesh that with testing and the fact that they are working on HOS right now and I see no good reason why this should be done.

I'm very picky about ideas because TWI is small and goes a long way for their community but that's no reason to flood them with petty requests about adding compasses and weapon attachments. A good argument with solid backing by the community is essential to get TWI to consider it.

Upvote 0
Surely giving individual characters different abilities does more to take away from the game than add to it. I mean if you have a charatcer who is stronger than others and can do more damage, a medic would naturally gravitate to him, One with more endurance would see Zerkers taking up the role, faster characters would be used by the Commando for running and gunning.

I persoanlly love playing Medic, and if anything I would go for more speed, cause I dig that ****, but if I were forced to play as Danny Glover or Agent Wilkes to get the best combination I would get pretty damned annoyed. Bottom line you should be able to play as any character you want, not the one that you need.

As already stated, forcing players to pay for game altering content just drives people away. I had a game called Crossfire, kinda like call of duty. I liked the fact I could play SAS instead of yanks all the time. Free to play if you didn't want to pay, but you got money alot faster and therefore better weapons quicker if you did pay.

Now I thought to myself "I'm hitting top of the board or near top of the board every game with my FPS experience, and I like the Mp5 anyway so I'll jsut save up and buy new guns as and when". However after a while of playing I noticed my weapons "condition" was deteriorating and needing repair, so I clicked the repair option.... naturally I found out it actually cost me MORE to maintain my weapons than I could earn by playing the game, despite my constant MVP and highest KPD awards. It was basically forcing me to pay for the game if I wanted to play it long term.

Needless to say I've never played it since. Not because it was a bad game, but just at the blatant marketting ploy. And that game was free! Despite the fact I love Killing Floor more than my own legs, if I were forced to pay even more for a game I've already paid for, I would have a fit. The choice should be down to whetehr or not a player wants to buy DLC, not whether or not a player is willing to buy DLC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maintaining that I do not care about the advantages of others. I do not care in the least if this "unbalances" the game. I also don't care if people have a problem with characters being more than empty suits. KF needs something and this is my suggestion. I've seen that gunslinger perk floating around forums forever, but I doubt it will go through. Too much like sharpshooter. Same for any other perks being discussed. They sorta kinda already got everything covered with the current perks. I'd like it very much if the characters either made my perk abilities more focused or gave me a generalists approach. Pretty much I'll take whatever TWI's interpretation of my suggestion is. I just want something NEW.

Upvote 0