• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Napoleon: Total War

It's just Napoleonic era afaik.
The AI is improved in the sense that they recognize the danger of an entranched enemy much better.
For example, in Empire i would often stack units in buildings where they would frequently be able to fire untill they had depleted their ammo, while the AI danced around outside trying to fire at my conceiled units.
In Napoleon they say '**** that' and charge their grenadiers in almost immediately.
The same goes for trenches that you can build, the walls you can stand behind to take cover after your army has stood on the same place for an amount of turns.
In Empire they would often just stand in front of those trenches and duke it out, but in Napoleon they seem to know that this way they will lose, so they will often fire off a few rounds before charging over the trench.
And just as important, the AI now knows how to better form and keep a line formation, and will not dance around inside your units field of fire as much as in Empire, resulting in more and longer-lasting firefights.

The CAI helps the battles as well, because they now merge the smaller units a lot, resulting in full-stack armies attacking you.
In Empire, they would often send a stack of two units, then another stack of two units, etc etc. Now they merge those units together and attack with a single bigger army, making the battles much much larger.

Upvote 0
Well, on Very Hard/Very Hard i have been wiped out in the Italian Campaign twice now, within the first 20 or so turns.
I'm managing on Hard/Hard, but i still only have two regions captured from Piedmont-Sardinia and about 20 turns left untill i should have reached my campaign goal. I'm still very far from it, so i'm probably gonna fail again lol.
Havent tried the other campaigns yet.
I feel like such a slowpoke, other people seem to manage fine, but maybe thats just a false impression i'm getting.

Anyways, i think i pretty much summed the AI up in my previous and this post, but even if the AI doesnt cut it for you, there is always the improved mp campaign. Nothing beats facing another human player.

Upvote 0
The ia is not that challenging, its just the Italian campaign that is the hardest of all because the little room you have to make mistakes. And the massive cheats the ai gets on very hard/very hard.

For that campaign, attack with the guy in north the city and leave him there. Napoleon to the east immediately, capture on the same turn the city and the next turn Austria will attack you on favourable terms for you. Then north to north, sack that province an leave it to revolt. From there just go to Milan, those cities will be undefended and you will be able to take all Italian Austria without shooting a single bullet. Once you do Venice will declare war on you, go straight for their capital. And you have free road to take the true objective. There will be likely 1 full army blocking your way, and a full army ready to counter attack you on the capital after that.

Still the AI is BAD

Tactical AI: make a single line with all units, if thinks can win will send the line to attack without much concert. Also will rotate the line, to match your deployment, but leaving guns behind.
Strategic AI: defend only the city in the capital of nation, attack with anything that is not in capital. This is specially noticeable on Egypt campaign, where the "forts" will be completely undefended always.

Difficulties, the hardest levels only change how much the IA cheats, “free” units and buildings in strategic difficulty, and massive bonuses for their units (militia units can win line units on very hard on 1on1) on tactical

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ia is not that challenging, its just the Italian campaign that is the hardest of all because the little room you have to make mistakes. And the massive cheats the ai gets on very hard/very hard.

For that campaign, attack with the guy in north the city and leave him there. Napoleon to the east immediately, capture on the same turn the city and the next turn Austria will attack you on favourable terms for you. Then north to north, sack that province an leave it to revolt. From there just go to Milan, those cities will be undefended and you will be able to take all Italian Austria without shooting a single bullet. Once you do Venice will declare war on you, go straight for their capital. And you have free road to take the true objective. There will be likely 1 full army blocking your way, and a full army ready to counter attack you on the capital after that.

Still the AI is BAD

Tactical AI: make a single line with all units, if thinks can win will send the line to attack without much concert. Also will rotate the line, to match your deployment, but leaving guns behind.
Strategic AI: defend only the city in the capital of nation, attack with anything that is not in capital. This is specially noticeable on Egypt campaign, where the "forts" will be completely undefended always.

Difficulties, the hardest levels only change how much the IA cheats,

Upvote 0