• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Is there a difference between the Upper and Lower case map names?

Undedd Jester

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Sheffield, England
Ok so the porblem I have is that I can't seem to get level completion achievements on my server.

Its Vac Secured, no mods, Perk Progression counts fine, and I managed to get Merry Men on it before.

I just looked in Web admin at the map rotation and it shows that maps like:

KF-Offices
KF-WestLondon

are all in my map rotation, however in the maps not in rotation are maps like:

kf-offices
kf-westlondon

I'm wondering if A) there is a difference between them, and B) If that might be whats causing my chievement issues. BTW its the server in my sig :rolleyes:

Cheers in advance
J*

case matters, not for the game engine afaik, but other things. like web servers and http, some will not return 200 if you use the wrong case for the request, not sure about whitelist though. so it's just good practice to match case with the actual filename wherever possible, to save yourself any potential trouble. all the official maps are lowercase, I think someone just made a mistake with the original ini, so we have 2 entries with both upper/lower. delete the upper case ones from your rotation and use the others, just to match with file. that's how I went about it, and have no problems with achievements on my server afaik.

mappers should have followed this example imo, I see no point whatsoever in proper capitalisation for map names. all it does is add unnecessary complications, which is probably why tw used the lower case convention in the first place. maybe the old kfmod used to have them uppercase, no experience with that so I wouldn't know.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure vac doesn't have to be enabled for achievements, I may be wrong though.

I seem to recall getting a few achievements on a non-vac server though.

well based on my limited experience with non-listed content, this is how I think it works -

either way the server is going to check your build against vac, no matter which security flags you use. if it finds modules/content that fails, then achievements/perks are shut off. so the engine itself doesn't rely on the vac flag, but the master browser runs off the existence of a true setting for 'vacsecured' somewhere, it doesn't matter if you put it in your command line, config, or both. I have omitted it from command line for config only, and it all works fine.

this is wrong the way tw does it imo, because whenever you run mods that are not listed, your console gets bombarded 24/7 by every event that has anything to do with stats. that means all damage values, kills, etc. that gets recorded by steam stats. the vac check for the game engine should follow the same convention for browser listing, if vacsecure is set to false, then suppress/omit event validation. right now if you run anything that's not whitelisted, your log is basically useless since the engine ****s all over itself trying to record stats for perk enabled play, regardless of your server settings.

Upvote 0