• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Querying Master Server Problem

Slinkeh

Jan 16, 2010
I have recently experienced this problem where it hangs on "Querying Master Server" forever when I try to search for an internet game. The funny thing is I had no problems whatsoever when I bought this game when it was first released back in May.

The only recent changes I have done is deleting Defence Alliance 2 from Steam. Ever since, I am unable to find any games listed, even with all the filters off.

I have checked my firewall (both hardware and software) and are all allowed. I've even done verify cache for the game and also deleted the Systems folder in Killing Floor and has not rectified anything.

I am completely out of ideas... All I can do is join servers in my favourites list.

I've also noticed that if I refresh the 'News' section in 'Multiplayer', it displays "The Killing Floor master server cannot be reached. Please try again later." But I am able to see the 'News' section when it first accesses the 'Multiplayer' screen.

Looks like, from your problem, and others that deleting the DA 2 messes with Killing Floor witch shouldn't happen. I don't know exactly what file(s) are connected to both, even so because i never tried DA2, but it appears to be about the connection and filters files.

You done this?

Failed to connect to Killing Floor servers in multiplayer

Odds are your router/firewall is blocking Killing Floor connections. You might need to open some of or all of the ports listed here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=30727[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=30727[/URL]

Also users are reporting that unchecking Dynamic Net Speed in options has fixed a connection failed issue.
And this?

Behind a router/firewall with ports open and forwarded but still having problems:

You might want to switch the following setting in your killingfloor.ini:

ServerBehindNAT=False

To: =True
You probably done those, so, i can still recommend you to try turning on/off the Blah0 in the configuration of the filters(explanation here).

Also try the first post of this thread:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38891[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38891[/URL]

if any of these won't work try deleting the game trough Steam:
1)Deleting Local Content..
2)Delete any files related to KF and to DA2 on your steam folder.
3)Re-download KF

Try it

Won't work?
Delete directly the folder of KF:
1)Go onto the location of the folder in your steamapps/common and delete the folder(making sure everyhting of KF is erased, as also the files of DA2)
2)"Verify integrity of game cache" trough steam. It should download the files again.
Try seeing if it works.

The last option i can see if you're desperate is reinstalling steam. Copying your folder of Steamapps, so you won't lose your games, reinstall steam, put your steamapps folder back on its place, and try it again.

Report back please.

Upvote 0
Good news. I have somehow managed to get the 'Querying Master Server' working again! However, I'm not sure what steps I did to get it working.

I was playing around with the filters by unticking all the boxes and clicking the refresh button manually - it still did not work. I tried this multiple times: ticking and unticking and restarting the game each time. Before in a fit of rage, I quitted out the game really fast by pressing the escape button a few times, then accepting the message which came up.

Few hours later I came back on and to my surprise the multiplayer server list came alive!

That's as much info I can give you.

I checked the firewall/router and all information was correct, including the NAT setting in the .ini file. I had even verified the file integrity as explained in my first post.

Upvote 0
I have recently experienced this problem where it hangs on "Querying Master Server" forever when I try to search for an internet game. The funny thing is I had no problems whatsoever when I bought this game when it was first released back in May.

The only recent changes I have done is deleting Defence Alliance 2 from Steam. Ever since, I am unable to find any games listed, even with all the filters off.

I have checked my firewall (both hardware and software) and are all allowed. I've even done verify cache for the game and also deleted the Systems folder in Killing Floor and has not rectified anything.

I am completely out of ideas... All I can do is join servers in my favourites list.

I've also noticed that if I refresh the 'News' section in 'Multiplayer', it displays "The Killing Floor master server cannot be reached. Please try again later." But I am able to see the 'News' section when it first accesses the 'Multiplayer' screen.

I, unfortunately, did not have my problem solved by clicking and unclicking the filters combined with RAGE>>> this darn game. If I can't play multiplayer, I would like a refund..(yeah right, that'll happen)

So, anyways with the rant, here is a summary of my problem, and what I have tried to fix it (but to no avail)
PROBLEM:
*Game had been working fine for several months, other than often very very long load times or connect problems to empty servers.
*Installed DA alliance (lame mod imo). Deleted the mod/uninstalled (this is probably where the mistake was from what I am reading)
*No servers appear in multiplayer. Just says at bottom of screen "QUERYING MASTER SERVER".
*On the news page, if I click refresh, it says no connection available to master server, try again later. (tried later, didn't work still...hahah)

SOLUTIONS TRIED:
*everything I could find on these forum, spent almost 4 hrs last night trying.
*Tried downloading KF-Fix.PDF; that was mentioned and deleting and replacing system folder etc... but keeping the .ini file.
*I tried all of the killingfloor.ini solutions that were mentioned.
* I added all of the ports.
*i turned off my fire wall completely, and it still didn't connect to the master server
*I checked fire wall settings and it showed killingfloor.exe listed 4 times.. I am assuming that was for each time the executable was patched, then reaccepted by my when starting the program for the first time after a patch
*I added the firewall directory, as a safe directory so my Windows One Care anti-virus software doesn't keeping checking every killing floor file for an STD.
*after trying all of the above, I went further... I uninstalled the game completely. Deleted all remnant folders I can find.
* reinstalled game... didn't work... then uninstalled steam completely, and reinstalled again. both the game and steam, still no go.

What I think may be the problem:
There must be something in the registry that is effing things up. Or maybe my router.. but why stop working one day?
My only thought next is to reinstall windows, and then steam, then the game. But don't want to go there...

PLEASE HELP!! I need someone who can help me clean out all registry entrys... maybe I run a registry softwarre that monitors, then reinstall the game and defense alliance, and record all of the registry entries..

Upvote 0
If truly installing DA2 was the only difference on your system that started the creation of the issue then i would look there, but i don't think its the issue. Beside that if you manually opened ports on your router, turning off the upnp feature can sometimes help.

Can you start microsoft system restore and if you remember the date when the game stopped working, can you check what things it saved around those dates in the system restore log (no need to restore to an old point yet although you could try it).

As well try removing all instances of both steam and killingfloor from your firewall, and then manually adding it again. If you use 3rd party firewall make sure the windows firewall is disabled. If you run on Vista/Windows 7 you could try turning the homegroup off as well.

Can you find the servers using the steam serverbrowser, open steam itself (without starting a game), and click on the servers button and add the killingfloor filter do you see servers there.

Timing out of the instance highly directs into a blocking firewall or whatever, its worth looking into the log file of your router and checking whether some connections are getting blocked. As i believe that retrieving the serverlist doesnt have a real request port so routers can sometimes think its a ddos attack.

And if you make changes but earlier on never had to make changes to make things work, make sure to reset your ini file as well. Simply delete killingfloor.ini and everything will reset. (you can save your old ini for later) but for purpose here it might be best to start fresh in that sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Querying master server

Querying master server

I am having this issue as well.

Also - when I go in to news and refresh it says it can't reach the master server.

I tried doing the server list in Steam (like you suggest above) with killing floor filter - I can see the servers fine. I just tried joining one and I can play as killing floor launches when you connect to a server in the list in Steam.

So a workaround for any sorry person with the "Querying master server" issue is to use Steams server list with Killing floor as the filter. You can connect to servers from there.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Also - when I go in to news and refresh it says it can't reach the master server.

I tried doing the server list in Steam (like you suggest above) with killing floor filter - I can see the servers fine. I just tried joining one and I can play as killing floor launches when you connect to a server in the list in Steam.

So a workaround for any sorry person with the "Querying master server" issue is to use Steams server list with Killing floor as the filter. You can connect to servers from there.

Hope this helps.

Then the issue is definitely a firewall/router issue. Btw you can add a big load of servers to your favourites as well, the favourites list completely bypasses the master server, so you could add every individual server there.

And as you initiate the query on those servers, generally firewalls won't block that stuff either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip on using steam's server enginer.. I bet this will work

I tried last night.. This works for now.. but i am a problem solver and would prefer to be able to use the in game browser... my search for a real solution persists!

:eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Morello!

From this thread I was able to get the master server list queried. The problem was I was still hanging once I connected. I added all of the ports to my firewall, but I couldn't figure out how to add all the ports to my router. So, I just went ahead and unplugged the router and connected straight to the modem... Sure enough, maps now load and no hang. I am going to try this portforward mentioned in the thread to help me add ports to the router and see if that works with the router back in the loop.
So, basically the master server query issue was router blocking things.. Now I am not sure why things were working and then weren't.. maybe my router updates??

What was interesting, with the router in place I was able to get a list of servers, but couldn't connect. The list of total servers was about 220. When I disconnected the router, the total list of servers increased to like 380.

Upvote 0
Here is what worked in my situation

Here is what worked in my situation

I'm connected to internet trough a router and i had the same problem with servers not showing up, what i did was setup port forwarding for multi-player game (inside router configuration) and then started a multi-player game using "listen server method", nobody joined the game during multi-player but after 1st wave i exited and servers were showing up again.

Upvote 0
I also had this problem, kf worked fine for ages then server browser was constantly querying master server. I could see no games in the browser. I can report that changing the ServerBehindNAT=False in the killingfloor.ini to ServerBehindNAT=True fixed my problem, now kf runs fine. Thanks to those that suggested this and hope this helps others.

Upvote 0