• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sudden memory overuse

trilance

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
For the past few days, I have been playing Killing Floor and suddenly while in the middle of the round, the framerate drops down to something under 10. I minimized the game and discovered in my Task Manager that the game was consuming something along the lines of an entire gigabyte of system memory.

This hasn't happened since the Level Up patch, so I'm wondering if this is something caused by an error in one of my files, or if there is something with my computer that is causing this.

This is happening to me too. I've noticed it's happened after I get hit with something like the bloat vomit or the siren scream. It'll completely cripple my game afterwards even though the rest of the game prior to it was smooth as a whistle.

I'm even playing in DX8 mode, and I saw absolutely no change in reinstalling the game.

My comp is only a few months old, too, and runs TF2 at max settings with 1600x900

Upvote 0
hi, i have the same exact problem and i have read about it before in other forum posts.

As trilance said i also have a fps drop after playing for a while, it happens always. Tried redownloading KF from different servers(tried 3 times), but nothing changed, i still have the same problem.

My pc specs:
Athlon64 3000+
geforce 6600gt (nvidia driver 195.62, the latest)
directx 9.0c (august 2009)

im gonna try using an older nvidia driver....

Upvote 0
I gotta report that flush did not work. Having messed with Unreal since the U1, I tried that out before posting. No dice.

I'll tell you what fixed it for me: Pulling it out of DX8! I only had my render device to DX8 due to the long load times fix. Ever since I moved it back to DX9, I've never had that problem, and I run KF at max settings.

So if you changed your render device from DX9 to DX8 from the loading times fix sticky here, I suggest changing it back if you have that problem. I'd rather deal with longer loads than being afraid to ever be hit, and of course you're GONNA get hit.

Upvote 0
I gotta report that flush did not work. Having messed with Unreal since the U1, I tried that out before posting. No dice.

I'll tell you what fixed it for me: Pulling it out of DX8! I only had my render device to DX8 due to the long load times fix. Ever since I moved it back to DX9, I've never had that problem, and I run KF at max settings.

So if you changed your render device from DX9 to DX8 from the loading times fix sticky here, I suggest changing it back if you have that problem. I'd rather deal with longer loads than being afraid to ever be hit, and of course you're GONNA get hit.

i'm gonna have to try this. that's really weird.

Upvote 0

I only recommend using the dx8 renderer if you get crashes that state the renderer. Otherwise i would not change it.

Setting it to DX8 does not decrease loading times either, and afaik its not stated in any of the loading time stickies :p.

Upvote 0
I only recommend using the dx8 renderer if you get crashes that state the renderer. Otherwise i would not change it.

Setting it to DX8 does not decrease loading times either, and afaik its not stated in any of the loading time stickies :p.

I see you're right. I took it from a potential fixes sticky.

Also if your system seems to be having graphical lag you will also want to try this.

I was trying this BECAUSE of the problem in this thread, but it turns out I had already had it to DX8 anyway. Odd.

Upvote 0
Ok, the flush command doesn't stop the problem. It only delays it.

Instead of seriously slowing down the game in the second round, using the flush function at the beginning of every round allowed me to play several rounds before finally locking up again.

Am I having a software issue or hardware issue?

Upvote 0
A few months ago, after a patch, I started having this problem. after some experimenting it turned out it was being caused by the motion blur effect. Every time blurring occured (getting hurt, siren screams) it would slow down and eventually crash.
Turning off motion blur fixed it for me, I've had it off ever since.

Last edited:
Upvote 0